KLF 20s worth the 5 hr drive to buy?

John kal

Looking for some opinions on the KLF 20s. My only problem is the 5 hr drive to listen to them.  If they're not to my taste then what? I know that the Tweeters & crossovers have been upgraded with Crites and new components.  I'm hoping they're better than what I'm using now. I've heard the KLF 10s and they hit pretty hard. 

No.  You can try, but what if the equipment is poor, or a bad room, or they are in the garage in a corner and will be hooked up to a phone one by one?  If they are set up well in a good room where they can shine, great, but otherwise you will not get an accurate demo or know what you can do with these. 

Ever been to an audio show?  Maybe 5% of the rooms sound good.

If you like the KLF 10s then you should like the 20s.  When I buy speakers I make sure they are something that I want and I verify the cabinet condition and that each driver is working. 

I did buy one set of speakers that were not set up well and I was just curious about the brand.  They sounded so good that I bought them, but that is unusual in someone else's house, and they were just hooked to an old receiver about three feet apart.  But they impressed me. 

In short yes they are worth the drive if it’s a decent deal and they are in good shape. I drive a similar distance for mine. As far as knowing if you really like them I think it’s worth getting them home and trying them out in your room. If you don’t love them and didn’t overpay you and get your money back by selling them quickly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klipschtastic said:

In short yes they are worth the drive if it’s a decent deal and they are in good shape. I drive a similar distance for mine. As far as knowing if you really like them I think it’s worth getting them home and trying them out in your room. If you don’t love them and didn’t overpay you and get your money back by selling them quickly. 

Too bad they weren't closer. I would run there and listen to them. He wants 1199. 00 Can. for them. 

4 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

No.  You can try, but what if the equipment is poor, or a bad room, or they are in the garage in a corner and will be hooked up to a phone one by one?  If they are set up well in a good room where they can shine, great, but otherwise you will not get an accurate demo or know what you can do with these. 

Ever been to an audio show?  Maybe 5% of the rooms sound good.

If you like the KLF 10s then you should like the 20s.  When I buy speakers I make sure they are something that I want and I verify the cabinet condition and that each driver is working. 

I did buy one set of speakers that were not set up well and I was just curious about the brand.  They sounded so good that I bought them, but that is unusual in someone else's house, and they were just hooked to an old receiver about three feet apart.  But they impressed me. 

The upgrades have been done. They look nice from the pictures. Too many variables for me to chance. 

@John kal, those are nice speakers and a damn fair price with those “upgrades”, ESPECIALLY up here. That’s like a minimum $400 CDN upgrade after exchange, shipping and duty. About what you will spend on gas to see them, lol.

But you may find them a little “bright”. Some serious solid state watts will excite the woofers to be sure.

Where are you located and what speakers and amp are you using now?

While this KLH20 discussion is active, I am taking a long drive to get a stock set myself. Is serial number KLF2000100036 and 37 affected by the glue issue?  I can't seem to figure this out. I think these are 2001 production, so they would have corrected the issue by then, but I would like to be sure. TY

13 hours ago, geoff. said:

@John kal, those are nice speakers and a damn fair price with those “upgrades”, ESPECIALLY up here. That’s like a minimum $400 CDN upgrade after exchange, shipping and duty. About what you will spend on gas to see them, lol.

But you may find them a little “bright”. Some serious solid state watts will excite the woofers to be sure.

Where are you located and what speakers and amp are you using now?

I have no clue on what's a fair price but I'm willing to take a chance. Not sure yet, we have a long weekend coming and might go. I'm from MTL. I have a few amps I could use. I have a Yamaha M80/C80 combo fully refurbished, glue removed caps redone. It has 250 watts per channel.  Also I have a Bryston 4B SST2 (300 watts per channel) that I could use and a WILLSENTON R8 KT88/EL34 X4 TUBE INTEGRATED AMP. 

2 minutes ago, 001 said:

yeah , Quebec to Ontario via the 401 is terrible .

The drive is fine, not worried about that. I'm thinking are they good enough or worth the hassle to go that far. Will I want to change them next year like I do with all the rest.