KLF 20s worth the 5 hr drive to buy?

John kal

1 hour ago, John kal said:

The room is a 20x24 approx. Tv wall has wood paneling, floors are tiles but I have a carpet in front of the system.  I sit about 8 feet away. I like the clarity of the highs on these speakers. They're not to bassy but I use a sub to help out. 

PXL_20211116_000304704 (2).jpg

You seem to already have a collection of speakers. 

OK, so you like bass but have a subwoofer.  The other characteristic is clarity of the highs.  You will probably like Klipsch speakers, but the flooring might make them a little bright. 

Chorus II or La Scalas would be nice in that room but somewhat pricey. 

@John kal, there are usually some pretty sweet audio deals to be had around Montreal and Quebec City.

I have contemplated the same drive as you several times over the years.

But just when I am about to commit to a day long journey something equal or better comes up in Sudbury, Ottawa, or Windsor and saves me a few hours.

"There is no replacement for displacement."

The biggest horns and the largest woofer(s) are where you will wind up.

300 watts will bring out the best of those KLF 20s in terms of bass. 

When I switched from a 150w/channel NAD C370 to a 300w/channel Emotiva XPA-2 the difference in the bass of my Chorus 2s was anything but subtle.

As I said, that is a very fair price on those 20s, if everything else is good. You could probably sell them for at least that in a year if/when you find something bigger. Free rent, minus the gas...

54 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You seem to already have a collection of speakers. 

OK, so you like bass but have a subwoofer.  The other characteristic is clarity of the highs.  You will probably like Klipsch speakers, but the flooring might make them a little bright. 

Chorus II or La Scalas would be nice in that room but somewhat pricey. 

The other issue is to find a good used pair.  Not ready to dish out for new ones yet.

43 minutes ago, geoff. said:

@John kal, there are usually some pretty sweet audio deals to be had around Montreal and Quebec City.

I have contemplated the same drive as you several times over the years.

But just when I am about to commit to a day long journey something equal or better comes up in Sudbury, Ottawa, or Windsor and saves me a few hours.

"There is no replacement for displacement."

The biggest horns and the largest woofer(s) are where you will wind up.

300 watts will bring out the best of those KLF 20s in terms of bass. 

When I switched from a 150w/channel NAD C370 to a 300w/channel Emotiva XPA-2 the difference in the bass of my Chorus 2s was anything but subtle.

As I said, that is a very fair price on those 20s, if everything else is good. You could probably sell them for at least that in a year if/when you find something bigger. Free rent, minus the gas...

Thanks for the kind words. I'm happy that most of the people agree that they're good speakers. It's up to me now to decide to go or not. 

5 minutes ago, John kal said:

The other issue is to find a good used pair.  Not ready to dish out for new ones yet.

That is the key.  Takes time.  Also, if you find a pair do not sell them again.  I sold some beautiful JBL Centurys that I fixed up.  Bought a pair in much worse shape last year and put a lot of time into fixing them up,  should have kept the prior pair. 

Do you have a back wall where you can lien up the speakers that are not in use? 

6 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

That is the key.  Takes time.  Also, if you find a pair do not sell them again.  I sold some beautiful JBL Centurys that I fixed up.  Bought a pair in much worse shape last year and put a lot of time into fixing them up,  should have kept the prior pair. 

Do you have a back wall where you can lien up the speakers that are not in use? 

That was a picture just show what I had at the time. The Reference 6 Infinitys are sold. The small bookshelfs are in another room. I'm only using the 1030s as of now. I have a pair of Mirage upstairs too for HT.

On 5/21/2022 at 8:51 PM, Shakeydeal said:

Congrats! I hope they work out for you.

I finally got to listen to a few tracks on them. I think they are a wonderful speaker with the mods done. The bass is not to over bearing but punchy enough for me. Highs are smooth and almost silk feel. I will get some more hrs in tonight and enjoy them. Good call by everyone to get them.

• Like 2

Enjoy!  :)   You'll be smiling for a long time...  ...at least til fall.  THEN you'll take another baby step into even more goodness!  I see Heresy's in you future.  Don't worry though it's allll inside of that lil box that WILL kick you butt!  Have fun and welcome to the Forum!  )

2 hours ago, Dave1291 said:

Enjoy!  :)   You'll be smiling for a long time...  ...at least til fall.  THEN you'll take another baby step into even more goodness!  I see Heresy's in you future.  Don't worry though it's allll inside of that lil box that WILL kick you butt!  Have fun and welcome to the Forum!  )

Are you pushing me to upgrade already,lol. I'll do my best thanks.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, John kal said:

Are you pushing me to upgrade already,lol. I'll do my best thanks.

I'd take the 20's over Heresy's any day you did good look to KLF-30's or Chorus II's if you want to "move up" from there without getting into the large footprint models.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

I'd take the 20's over Heresy's any day you did good look to KLF-30's or Chorus II's if you want to "move up" from there without getting into the large footprint models.

If given the chance to obtain some KLF30s and some Heresys plus the Chorus to try them all out at the same time,that would be something else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1