KLF 20s worth the 5 hr drive to buy?

John kal

1 hour ago, John kal said:

Hey guys, I took off the woofer to see what was done on the crossover. He replaced the caps with Dayton Audio except the 80uf (MDL) one as you see in the pictures. Should I replace them with Sonicaps or change the 80uf only?

Why do you want to change caps if you said this?

"I think they are a wonderful speaker with the mods done. The bass is not to over bearing but punchy enough for me. Highs are smooth and almost silk feel."

The 80 uf should be paralleled with the Daytons to equal 97uf per the schematic. 

Per Roy, the Chorus and Fortes can use electrolytics parallel to the woofers.  Others claim to hear a difference, but I will go with the person who designed the networks. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Why do you want to change caps if you said this?

"I think they are a wonderful speaker with the mods done. The bass is not to over bearing but punchy enough for me. Highs are smooth and almost silk feel."

The 80 uf should be paralleled with the Daytons to equal 97uf per the schematic. 

Per Roy, the Chorus and Fortes can use electrolytics parallel to the woofers.  Others claim to hear a difference, but I will go with the person who designed the networks. 

The 80uf is not a Dayton cap.  I checked the schematic it says 80uf. Not 97uf. Wondering if I should match it with a Dayton? I don't want to change anything unless it makes them better.

1 hour ago, John kal said:

The 80uf is not a Dayton cap.  I checked the schematic it says 80uf. Not 97uf. Wondering if I should match it with a Dayton? I don't want to change anything unless it makes them better.

I was looking at the KLF 30 schematic.  The KLF 20 schematic is tiny in the crosssover thread.

Just leave it alone, they do not need to be the same brand.  Electrolytics are usually made by a different manufacturer anyway.  In that position you can use an electrolytic, this is per the guy that designs these. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I was looking at the KLF 30 schematic.  The KLF 20 schematic is tiny in the crosssover thread.

Just leave it alone, they do not need to be the same brand.  Electrolytics are usually made by a different manufacturer anyway.  In that position you can use an electrolytic, this is per the guy that designs these. 

Got it. I'll leave the caps as is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John kal said:

Got it. I'll leave the caps as is.

I just recapped Chorus II and Forte II's and use electrolytes for the caps parallel to the woofers per Roy's advice. 

Glad that you like the sound of the KLFs and they were already gone through so you are good to go.  Sit back and enjoy. 

• Thanks 2