Should I keep away from KG4s with missing labels?

Hello, this is my first time posting. 

I am looking to purchase my first ever Klipsch speakers, and a pair of KG4s in very good condition popped up in my area. 

I communicated with the owner and he seemed trustworthy. He also sells other types of vintage audio equipment. He’s told me everything about the KG4s are original. 

The only thing keeping me from purchasing is that he says the labels are missing. I understand these are old speakers, but because they are a good pair and they are exactly cheap, I would imagine people would keep the labels. This also prevents me from finding out the serial numbers and so forth. 

Should I keep away from these speakers? I am not too familiar yet with Klipsch speakers so I do not know if there are fake KG4s out there or something like that, and if I should be alerted with these pair. The price is also low compared to the same models on the internet like eBay, is that another sign for something?

Sorry for the long writing, hope somebody could give me some advice. 

Edited by 72044162
  • Like 1

It's pretty common for labels to be torn, fall off, etc.  There really wouldn't be any point of faking a speaker like that.  I would make sure you can listen to them before you buy them.  Also make sure the passive radiators in the back of the speakers aren't torn as they're difficult to find replacements for.

I wouldn't hesitate from buying a pair just because they were missing the labels.

"Labels won't affect the sound," said the yogi at the top of the mountain.

I agree with wuzzzer. Even dented dust caps on the speakers can be popped out. If owner will demo them and they work, buy them.

They were an extremely popular speaker, and a good value, in their time.

On 5/18/2022 at 1:53 PM, 72044162 said:

The price is also low compared to the same models on the internet like eBay, is that another sign for something?

KG -4 woofers are no longer available  , you have not shown  any pictures , or price , or whether the speakers crossovers have been replaced  ....

....... a new pair of klipsch speakers is more affordable than you think  with equal or better sound , 300$ up to 1100$ .

klipsch RP-8000F Piano black /549$ each /USA.....  https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-8000f-piano-black

Welcome to the klipsch forum .

what new klipsch speakers have "equal or better sound" for the same price as used KG4s  ??  doubt anything new for ~$300-400 will sound anywhere near as good as KG4s

@72044162  the labels dont really matter if the speakers are in good shape & a fair price,  KG4 in decent condition should be about $300-400, you wont find anything new to compare to the sound of KG4 at that price...   some like consecutive serial numbers but it doesnt matter for the sound, if they are in decent condition at a fair price dont worry about the labels missing.  post some pics or price info for more guidance. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

what new klipsch speakers have "equal or better sound" for the same price as used KG4s  ??  doubt anything new for ~$300-400 will sound anywhere near as good as KG4s

@72044162  the labels dont really matter if the speakers are in good shape & a fair price,  KG4 in decent condition should be about $300-400, you wont find anything new to compare to the sound of KG4 at that price...   some like consecutive serial numbers but it doesnt matter for the sound, if they are in decent condition at a fair price dont worry about the labels missing.  post some pics or price info for more guidance. 

I totally agree with that statement. No new speakers come close to the sound of Kg4’s for the money. They are very good speakers in my opinion and got me hooked on Klipsch speakers. 

• Thanks 1