Advice on purchasing modified La Scalas

Hi all. I'm new so thanks for the help in advance.

I'm on the hunt for a pair of La Scalas and came across a listing where the previous owner upgraded the crossover to a ALK Extreme Slope. When doing this mod, he also added a giant horn and driver on top of the speaker and connected this in parallel with the original hardware of the speaker. Really unconventional from what I've seen and he said he just did it for "fun." He has used this in a home theater setup.

They are 1977, sequential and otherwise appear in decent condition. 

Would this be a red flag or do think there is any concerns with buying these?  Thoughts on value given the mods? Thank you!

image.thumb.png.50ddcf433b8781144a4b5ebde92ad857.png

That is an “economy” ALK CSW/Universal crossover, not an extreme slope. But that is not a bad thing, just cheaper.

That is a whole lot of La Scala for a decent price, assuming the internals are stock and functional.

You would have to spend a lot more to arrive at this experiment on your own time. As was mentioned, the accoutrements on top of the stock model would recoup a decent chunk of the outlay if you are not impressed, but you probably will be. 

If La Scalas are what you are after, these are pretty sweet foray.

23 minutes ago, geoff. said:

That is an “economy” ALK CSW/Universal crossover, not an extreme slope. But that is not a bad thing, just cheaper.

TY Geoff. How can you tell from the photo? which honestly is not great. better pics are needed before i commit to driving 4 hours to get these!

It looks like he has the klipsch drivers still on the stock k-400 midrange horn, and Altec drivers on the Altec horn. If all components are in working order, I would try a lower offer but also be on the way to pick them up.

It looks like the red label says “ALK Engineering, Cornscala - Wall Universal”,  and instead of massive coils for the inductors I see a steel core “bar” inductor just tucked under the K-55.

Looks like the breadboard is MDF too (iykyk),lol! But THAT won’t affect the sound, here...

3 minutes ago, geoff. said:

It looks like the red label says “ALK Engineering, Cornscala - Wall Universal”,  and instead of massive coils for the inductors I see a steel core “bar” inductor just tucked under the K-55.

Looks like the breadboard is MDF too (iykyk)lol, but THAT won’t affect the sound, here...

yep i see that now. thanks for the sleuthing. 

Looks like Altec driver on the Altec 511B horn. Those things are super expensive. If they are the deal is a steal. The speakers alone are not what I would pay, $2000 but when you throw in the Altec horn and drivers I consider it a bargain. I consider the Altec 511B a big upgrade over the Klipsch midrange horn. How do I know? I have and use one. 

• Like 1