Pairing solid state amp with Cornwalls

What are some recommended solid state amps to pair with a set of 1983 Cornwalls? What specs should I be looking at?

Yes, I know that tube is better for these classic Klipsch and I will eventually get there. But for reasons I don't want to explain, I want to start with SS. 

If I've read correctly that since the CW are so sensitive, the amp should have very low distortion. I'm looking at both vintage and modern.

Thoughts on these two or other recos? THANK YOU!

Schitt Aegir
https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir?Finish=372&Voltage=365&Plug Type=367

Yamaha CR 440
http://www.classic-audio.com/yamaha-cr440-p-300.html

Most recommendations can and will be debated so I’ll forgo that but to believe or assume that a tube amp is “better”

for Heritage Klipsch may well be a mistake. Well designed SS amps sound as good as well designed tubes with Heritage. Crappy tube 

amps sound just as bad as crappy SS amps. They exist in both camps. 

• Like 3

I like vintage myself. Problem with vintage amps is they occasionally fail. I was running my ‘79 CWs with an HK Citation 16 until it decided to go. It took a woofer with it. Woofer replaced and I still haven’t learned my lesson, but if this original Onkyo M-504 blows….. Anyway I like vintage power….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jason.justice said:

What are some recommended solid state amps to pair with a set of 1983 Cornwalls? What specs should I be looking at?

Yes, I know that tube is better for these classic Klipsch and I will eventually get there. But for reasons I don't want to explain, I want to start with SS. 

If I've read correctly that since the CW are so sensitive, the amp should have very low distortion. I'm looking at both vintage and modern.

Thoughts on these two or other recos? THANK YOU!

Schitt Aegir
https://www.schiit.com/products/aegir?Finish=372&Voltage=365&Plug Type=367

Yamaha CR 440
http://www.classic-audio.com/yamaha-cr440-p-300.html

I have an HK A402 for sale that sounds great with all Heritage.  Same as the HK730 receiver, without the tuner.  Fully serviced and great shape.  PM me if interested.  Thanks.

58 minutes ago, richieb said:

Most recommendations can and will be debated so I’ll forgo that but to believe or assume that a tube amp is “better”

for Heritage Klipsch may well be a mistake. Well designed SS amps sound as good as well designed tubes with Heritage. Crappy tube 

amps sound just as bad as crappy SS amps. They exist in both camps. 

Great! That said do you have any recommendations for SS?

48 minutes ago, CWOReilly said:

I like vintage myself. Problem with vintage amps is they occasionally fail. I was running my ‘79 CWs with an HK Citation 16 until it decided to go. It took a woofer with it. Woofer replaced and I still haven’t learned my lesson, but if this original Onkyo M-504 blows….. Anyway I like vintage power….

Thoughts on the vintage Yamaha above?

way under powered , you need at minimum 90 wpc ,  distortion is key here , the lower the distortion , the better the sound ,

you want an affordable high power 300wpc  amp , Crown Xli 800 , you want a lower power  amp , discrete , reliable , exceptional preamp ...Yamaha A-S1200

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jason.justice said:

Thoughts on the vintage Yamaha above?

It’s been a number of years since I’ve listened to a Yamaha (CR-1020) of that vintage, but recall it being pretty good. With the low wattage you should be fine in a medium room so long as you don’t push it too hard. More power is better if going louder. 

1 minute ago, jason.justice said:

$1k and under. Don;t need a phono stage or remote. Just good pairing. 

You have plenty of options then! Schiit I hear good things about, but never personally heard anything through them. If you go vintage get something that’s already serviced and 70+ watts. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jason.justice said:

um, forgive me if i'm misunderstanding something but i thought the benefit of high sensitivity speakers like Cornwalls is that you don't need much power. 

No, you are not misunderstanding at all. The recommendation above is way out of line.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, 001 said:

way under powered , you need at minimum 90 wpc ,  distortion is key here , the lower the distortion , the better the sound ,

you want an affordable high power 300wpc  amp , Crown Xli 800 , you want a lower power  amp , discrete , reliable , exceptional preamp ...Yamaha A-S1200

I am going to disagree on this!

With high sensitivity speakers, the overarching issue is whether there is any hiss, hum or buzzing in the background. Non-linearities causing distortion are another matter. Especially since the distortion is generally a function of overall level. If it is only putting out a few watts (and putting out plenty of sound) there will be very little distortion.

That is the beauty of a high efficiency speaker. The down side is that any background noise from the amp will be quite audible.

Over at DIYAudio, there is fairly sophisticated discussion about "just how many watts do you need". The thread was started by a sharp guy ("Pano"). You would be surprised about what a tiny amount of wattage is actually required. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, henry4841 said:

Just thought I would, any one thinking of purchasing a new amplifier for an efficient speaker like horns will be way better off thinking quality over quantity when it comes to power.  

Thanks bringing this back on topic. 

what are some new SS amps that would be a good match with cornwalls?

1 hour ago, 001 said:

Are you high?

@jason.justice I will always recommend tubes first, but the Schiit Aegir is a very capable amp and has plenty of power for the Cornwalls.

• Like 2