Pairing solid state amp with Cornwalls

2 hours ago, jason.justice said:

Thanks bringing this back on topic. 

what are some new SS amps that would be a good match with cornwalls?

I will say having had a jubenstein that A LOT of modern SS and Tube amps will introduce hiss/noise on high sensitivity speakers like the Cornwall.  I am currently using the Topping PA5 for my uppers and it’s been the only amp that is silent.  I’ve tried tube amps and other higher priced SS amps and all of them introduced noise and or hiss.  The topping for whatever reason is totally silent and clean.  May want to give it a spin since it’s so affordable and see how it sounds for the Cornwall?  You could always bi amp and high powered amp for the lowers..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jason.justice said:

Thanks bringing this back on topic. 

what are some new SS amps that would be a good match with cornwalls?

I personally like class A amplifiers whether tube or SS. Firstwatt would be my first chose. Do not let the prices scare you because they often come up for sale here and at Renohifi. Firstwatt amplifiers with 25 watts are perfect with horns. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, henry4841 said:

I personally like class A amplifiers whether tube or SS. Firstwatt would be my first chose. Do not let the prices scare you because they often come up for sale here and at Renohifi. Firstwatt amplifiers with 25 watts are perfect with horns. 

I’m using a cheap Chinese jlhood 1969 with my Chorus I and love it. I haven’t tried it on my Cornwalls. 

3 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Oh come now… my grandson gave me a Fisher-Price radio, and it sounds great with the K horns…

You’ve always touted the virtues of Scott, Fisher and now Price has been added? Widening your horizons - 

12 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I’m going to have to stop you right there. Crown? I know you’re high now.

LOL  

PWK used Crown amps for his own Khorns ,  are you implying PWK was High because he used Crown Amps

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have a vintage Crown DC300a in the walnut case. It was only ever used in home HiFi, unlike many Crown amps that have lived hard lives. Believe it or not , it sounds really clean and clear with the best bass I've ever experienced with my corner horns. It images better than I would have expected too. It's not the last word but it's fun.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, jason.justice said:

What are some recommended solid state amps to pair with a set of 1983 Cornwalls? What specs should I be looking at?

Yes, I know that tube is better for these classic Klipsch and I will eventually get there. But for reasons I don't want to explain, I want to start with SS

Ok - First post, so be gentle.

I have some history with Klipsch my first ones being KG 3.5. I presently own Heresy IIIs and recently unboxed some Cornwall IIIs which I bought new and had in storage.

I have a rebuilt Carver amp,  McIntosh MA252, and an Outlaw Audio RR2160. I dont see the Outlaw mentioned a lot here but I think its a great value and now has a predecessor the RR2160 MKII. 110 Watts per channel, lots of features. A real value and a great starter Integrated amp in my opinion at just under a grand. I'd be hard pressed to tell a real noticable difference that would warrant the cost difference between the McIntosh and the Outlaw.

RR2160 MKII

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 8:02 PM, Toz said:

I have a vintage Crown DC300a  it sounds really clean and clear with the best bass I've ever experienced with my corner horns.

1kw power supply ...tubes like sound ........the corresponding Pre-amp was top notch ,

On 5/21/2022 at 5:50 PM, jason.justice said:

Thoughts on the vintage Yamaha above?

Running my (rear) Cornwall I's with a Yamaha CR-620. Sound is very, very good. :) The CR-440 may not have enough "oomph."  Suggest you look at the CR-820/1020/etc for main speakers :) 

• Like 2