Pairing solid state amp with Cornwalls

Hi everyone. I'm going to keep my questions in this same thread as the topic still applies. 

Over the weekend I replaced the a bad tweeter and did the recap of my CW 1.5s. We hooked them up to my current integrated, a Rega Brio which is class a/b (I think) and 50 WPC. 

Now, I usually run that amp with a pair of Polk RTI-A3 (89db sens. / 8 ohm). With those bookshelves I hardly ever turn the knob past 9oclock. 

With the much more sensitive Cornwalls, I actually to turn the knob to 10 or higher to get enough volume. I will say that I think this amp is not a good match as it just didn't sound great. Very cold. 

Any thoughts on this? I was thinking I wouldn't have to turn up the volume as much with the CWs.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

Cap break in is BS.

Most likely you have a cold solder joint or you incorrectly installed the caps.  Check all of your connections.

I can't imagine we did anything wrong. My friend that helped builds speakers and components and he followed the Crites schematic. 

Is there any reason why these speakers would need more volume from my rega? bad pairing between amp and speaker?

Perhaps I can ask my question here as the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall.

My brother bought my Chorus 1 speakers. He would like to buy a good matching amplifier. As music he plays a lot of rock, pop, electric instruments, metal.. But also (to a lesser extent) folk, acoustic, some jazz..

Now he may also want to take over my Dynaco ST70 (El34), but I wonder if this amplifier is the best choice for him. A tube amp appeals to him, but perhaps an SS amp is the better choice given his music taste. But if he is going to buy a tube amplifier, is my Dynaco ST70 a good choice or he better should buy another type of amplifier with, for example, the kt88 tube. 

I'd love to hear your opinion.

2 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Perhaps I can ask my question here as the Chorus was the replacement for the Cornwall.

My brother bought my Chorus 1 speakers. He would like to buy a good matching amplifier. As music he plays a lot of rock, pop, electric instruments, metal.. But also (to a lesser extent) folk, acoustic, some jazz..

Now he may also want to take over my Dynaco ST70 (El34), but I wonder if this amplifier is the best choice for him. A tube amp appeals to him, but perhaps an SS amp is the better choice given his music taste. But if he is going to buy a tube amplifier, is my Dynaco ST70 a good choice or he better should buy another type of amplifier with, for example, the kt88 tube. 

I'd love to hear your opinion.

You should probably start a new thread if you want opinions. It will just get buried in this one.

I'm running HK825 pre amp with HK870 amp with my Cornwall II.  They've sounded incredible (until the 825 let go spectacularly last week).  I've now got the 870 paired with my HK330b (has pre-amp) and it sounds surprisingly good, just not quite as clean and detailed as the 825.

image.jpeg.d0aa51292a68c3b97262c109873e7167.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I would definitely give that Yamaha 801 some serious consideration, if you haven’t already made a call and you’re not wedded to the two in your original post.

You might not have any use for Bluetooth etc, but those S series integrated Yammy’s are very nice amps with good current and a neutral sound.  I would grab one over a Schiit without question.