Pairing solid state amp with Cornwalls

12 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

I have a CR-840... I'm not familiar enough to know the difference between them. 

the CR 840 is the better product ,  the  preamp  is really HQ ---- 60wpc at 8 Ohms , while the CR 820 is 55wpc at 8 Ohms , and the preamp was  slightly different

Yamaha CR-840

image.jpeg.cbb6ce383f26c858b7e2555ffd6bc8ca.jpeg

• Like 1

I repair and restore old 70's receivers and I stay away from those with the STK power packs. Virtually unattainable but if stuck with an old receiver with bad ones you can replace them some of the newer D boards readily available. Probably sound much better too. 

• Like 2

Darlington power packs another name for IC are available as NOS or knockoffs.

Have a couple in my Authentic series. Some are replacing with discrete circuit if they fail.

However it should turn out, would use the units until they should quit. Then can come alternative solution.

My unit failed due to switch.

1 hour ago, Emile said:

Think it would be great for the OP if the price is right :)  Only thing is the *40 series seems to have a problem with the STK power packs (???) which are no longer available :( Specs are here ... 60Wps ... https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/cr-840.shtml

STK Powerpacks or Darlington IC Chips sound fantastic in low wattage amps  under 80 wpc , they are  reliable  ,  long lasting , in comparison to discrete parts that require replacement every 20-30 years , IC chips can last forever , one can drive an IC chip amp  , for 40-50-60 years

plenty on Ebay for 10$  , easy to replace , are they better than AB discrete amps ,  maybe not , but they are still great amps

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, grasshopper said:

the 840 makes the amp it replaced sound like it has a sock stuffed in its mouth

yeah , the Sound of IC chip amps is phenomenal  in the HF , Yamaha-Sanyo  used them because they were High tech at the time in the late 70's  to early 80' s

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 6:57 PM, jason.justice said:

Thanks bringing this back on topic. 

what are some new SS amps that would be a good match with cornwalls?

I don't know if you really got any help with your question or not. Another forum member went on a quest for the perfect amp for his Cornwalls a few months back and ended up with an AudioLab 6000A. You might want to check out his thread.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/203853-the-perfect-integrated-doesn’t-exist…and-it’s-annoying/

Unless you feel the need to push your speakers to levels that will permanently damage your hearing and possibly crumble the foundation of your house (perhaps a little hyperbolic), you can use very low power. As some have already pointed out, your Cornwalls can also withstand huge amounts of power. Personally, like henry4841, I prefer quality over quantity.

I'm using Fortes which are slightly less efficient than your Cornwalls and I'm currently driving them with an 8wpc Class A SS amp (Pass Labs ACA) and they play louder than I will ever want to listen and sound incredible. I've also used a very inexpensive Class D amp that is capable of about 80wpc and had no complaints about the sound. The Class A is better, though.

Also, a number of forum members are using Class D amps and loving them. The Topping PA5 is very popular and only about $350. You will probably need a preamp of some sort to go with that, but that is also true of the Schitt Aegir.

The great news is, there are a lot of amps out there that will pair really well with your Cornwalls. Look for the features you want and pick quality and you will do just fine. As Corey points out in his thread, there isn't one perfect amp for the Cornwalls...there are lots of them that you may find to be perfect for you.

Have fun in your search and let us know where you end up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Cornwalls will have absolutely top notch dynamics with <50 watts. I've heard it so with as little as 15 watts. Then again, all amplifiers are not created equal. 200 watts in a receiver can sound utterly anemic.

here's where i'm getting stuck. i understand that CW are highly efficient and can/will sound great with low watts. however i'm assuming those using low power are in small rooms. if i'm in a big room, say the size of a small restaurant, i'm assuming i will need more power than 20W. thoughts?

My room is probably a little above average size. It's 26 x 15 and I tend to listen louder than any of my friends. I had absolutely no issues with the CW IV at 20 watts. Same goes for my LS II now. Plenty of power. It's quality over quantity with these speakers.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

My room is probably a little above average size. It's 26 x 15 and I tend to listen louder than any of my friends. I had absolutely no issues with the CW IV at 20 watts. Same goes for my LS II now. Plenty of power. It's quality over quantity with these speakers.

with your CW and 20W amp how far are you turning that up in your room?

4 minutes ago, jason.justice said:

with your CW and 20W amp how far are you turning that up in your room?

The real question should be, how big is your room (total volume) and how do you want to listen? If you're truly in a small restaurant and need to play over the top of a lot of people, you will need more power from the amp. If it is just you listening at a moderate volume, you won't need as much. How anyone else listens isn't really going to help you unless you can compare it to your personal needs.

5 minutes ago, jason.justice said:

yep i get it. i'm just trying to get sense of what i need knowing that the room will constantly be changing. i'm leaning toward get 1 Schiit Aegir and if it's not enough stepping up to 2. 

@vondy   is selling a Yamaha A-S 801 -100wpc  integrated / DAC /fabulous pre-amp  , ideal for  a set of Cornwall IV  -and it blows away the Aegir , hands down .