Too much voltage!

Hi,  am building a house and found a power transformer on a pole which will be tapped for my house near me. I was told power could fluctuate from 120volts to 130volts. I plan to use HH Scott amps to power my Klipsch’s and it was suggested they run great at 115 to 120volts. Is there some kind of power limiter to get only 115 or 120 volts to my amps?  (I don’t mean a voltage regulator that has the big knob to adjust from 0 volts to max volts. I mean a set voltage of 115 or 120 volts).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Morbius said:

Hi,  am building a house and found a power transformer on a pole which will be tapped for my house near me. I was told power could fluctuate from 120volts to 130volts. I plan to use HH Scott amps to power my Klipsch’s and it was suggested they run great at 115 to 120volts. Is there some kind of power limiter to get only 115 or 120 volts to my amps?  (I don’t mean a voltage regulator that has the big knob to adjust from 0 volts to max volts. I mean a set voltage of 115 or 120 volts).

Hello, I would take this up with the power company. Not aware of your source but, would have them address your concerns as, they have systems that control, or attempt to control voltage at powers entry into structure. Unless, I dreamt it.

18 hours ago, Dr Morbius said:

Is there some kind of power limiter to get only 115 or 120 volts to my amps?

I use a Monster Power AVS 2000 voltage regulator. There are some used ones available at times. It does exactly what you are asking about, plus it will step up the voltage to 120V when the power company supply has a voltage drop.

• Like 1

Save your money! This is actually a non-problem. The power company supplies a nominal voltage which means it can fluctuate depending upon load. In North America, the accepted or usual range is 105-125 V. You will share that pole transformer with one, two or three other households. Depending on load, your voltage measured at the wall outlet will vary in the range I just quoted you. No manufacturer, and that includes HH Scott, designs their products for one and only one supply voltage. Unless your power company has a real brownout (less than 105V) you won't hear any difference.

If you feel you just must have a "power conditioner" read Audio Science Review for their tests of those things. 

Household appliances among lists to be concerned besides just the audio. Any customer hooked to an outlet that is on the warm range side of an operational window is in jeopardy of prematurely burnout connected items. Least of which is the common light bulb.

18 hours ago, billybob said:

Any customer hooked to an outlet that is on the warm range side of an operational window is in jeopardy of prematurely burnout connected items. Least of which is the common light bulb.

126V is not really the issue, it is the 114 that poses the real problem. High current demand appliances such as hot water heaters, ranges, HVAC, motors, etc will draw excessive current and it is this that poses the real threat to equipment. 

Granted, an incandescent light bulb will seem to last forever operating at 114V.

• Like 1

Got a kick out of a retired electrician who called electric company to complain about his bulbs burning out prematurely.

They would go through the motions of checking the transformer while assuring the gentlemen all was good.

No, suggested that the OP should address his concerns to the power company about what was said.

His audio equipment is a concern. Is a concern for me also. That is why I use a surge protector. 

Thanks!

21 minutes ago, billybob said:

Got a kick out of a retired electrician who called electric company to complain about his bulbs burning out prematurely.

I used to know some people who claimed they had many many years of experience (30 +, etc), the problem for these people is they stop learning after the first year or less, then they have 30 + years of "working in the same job". 

• Like 1

Yes, have a nephew with Tampa electric that rose to the top. First, he graduated with a degree from U of F.

Gentleman I mentioned still had his old early edition books he studied to become an electrician. Just after WW2.

A good trade.

For vintage amplifiers I sometimes just use variacs but the ability to dial voltage to 115v is help. In my house I see higher voltages at night routinely 125v. Before this voltage to my house was unsteady. They put up a brand new transformer for me and everything leveled out although still a bit high.