Super Heresy 2.0 Crossover?

Gypsy

Maybe it is easy to find in America, but it is very difficult to find all the parts for countries like Turkey. Now, when my aunt is coming to America, I want to have the parts that are not heavy, but I couldn't find the full list of parts. In order to install Super Heresy, I also need the middle drive alternative and the crossover part and schematic. I have 4 days left before I can order the parts.

13 hours ago, Gypsy said:

Heresy 1. I jsut need to see how to configure the caps. 

the type e crossover is really easy to follow -- just use the diagram below and follow the circuit on your board.

as you can see there are three things happening:

(1) the woofer has an inductor in front of it -- this serves as a low pass filter

(2) there is a capacitor in front of the autoformer that goes to the squawker and the tweeter.  this is a high pass filter, the frequency is based on the value of the capacitor and the impedance it sees and is primarily driven by the setting of the squawker and the impedance of the squaker.

(3) there is a capacitor in front of the tweeter.  again this serves as a high pass filter for the tweeter.

for a super heresy, what you need to change is based on your woofer choice.  if you use the dayton pa310-8, you need to make no changes to the crossover.  i really like this woofer and since its the cheapest i think this is a no brainer.  the other options have a higher output so you need to increase the output of the squawker and the tweeter, so you need to move both up one position on the autoformer (i.e. move the squawker on 3 to 4).

moving the position of the squawker on the autoformer changes the impedance and changes the high pass frequency with a 2uf capacitor (the one in front of the autoformer).  to compensate for that, you need to change that capacitor value to 4uf to maintain the original high pass frequency.

@ClaudeJ1 explains all of this in one of his earler posts in the super heresy 2.0 thread.

Heresy I Type E Crossover.jpg

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

if you use the dayton pa310-8, you need to make no changes to the crossover.  i really like this woofer and since its the cheapest i think this is a no brainer. 

Yep, and the price went from $50 to $100 each or so at P.E. So much for the BS about "only 7%" inflation rate from the DC swamp. If that is a true number, it should only apply to monthly rather than annually, with no improvement in sight.

I managed to get the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO from US Speaker for $200/ea with free shipping. It was actually a pricing error on their website but the gentleman said he would honor the old price. I even offered to split the difference but he said, nope. I thought it was a good enough deal for these crazy times. 

Will I need to adjust the autoformer with these 3012HO

3 hours ago, Gypsy said:

I managed to get the Eminence Kappalite 3012HO from US Speaker for $200/ea with free shipping. It was actually a pricing error on their website but the gentleman said he would honor the old price. I even offered to split the difference but he said, nope. I thought it was a good enough deal for these crazy times. 

Will I need to adjust the autoformer with these 3012HO

yes -- they are more efficient than the original kef woofer. only with the dayton pa310 can you avoid making changes to the crossover.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gokay said:

Maybe it is easy to find in America, but it is very difficult to find all the parts for countries like Turkey. Now, when my aunt is coming to America, I want to have the parts that are not heavy, but I couldn't find the full list of parts.

Make sure she checks the parts in and you might want to put a note in there stating that these are speaker parts. 

I always joke when I make a crossover that I should try to have these as a carry on on a plane.  Fast track to a cavity search by Olga! 🤣