Power needs of High Efficiency Speakers from a Master of Audio

henry4841

Start around the 9:20 mark if all you want to hear is what Nelson has to say about power needs. By the way Klipsch is mentioned. One can argue with the master if one thinks he knows better than him. I have found 5 or 6 watts is the sweat spot for me with a tube amplifier and around 25 watts of SS amplification with my LaScala's. And I do have many 300 watt SS amplifiers to listen with as well. 

• Like 4

I agree about the ILLUSION that occurs with preference of 2nd or 3rd harmonic dominance. The charm is at "ordinary levels" which for me is the industry standard "83 db" average, established by the HT world.

All Klipsch owners are listening to MilliWatts, Primarily. All of my speakers except subs are 100 db Plus/watt, those are 97, which prompted a reduction of my subwoofer power amps (Crown K2) to Behringer 800 with LED power indicators, kept right below clipping on my demo HT with bass that shakes the room floor and scares strangers........no joke.

I helped setup my old Underground Jubilee Clones with SIT-3 amps with the guy who bought them from me. Closest thing to Triode tubes!

As an aside, I'm all for limiting live rock concert levels at 96 db. 

• Like 2

"......or at least fail to irritate you...."

That line says volumes about our differing approaches in equipment. Some seek the Holy Grail and other (me for one) simply want to listen to music with a sound we enjoy. I understand the Grail approach as I've done that in other arenas of my life however Spending time and money to seek incremental improvements just isn't where I want to be. Sure I'd like a step up but there's other things I walk that  path. Music for me is a relaxing time occupier that would be ruined if I went down the road of The Grail. I've enough of that elsewhere.

That being said I wouldn't mind a Band Camp Amp. :D

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, geezin' said:

That line says volumes about our differing approaches in equipment. Some seek the Holy Grail and other (me for one) simply want to listen to music with a sound we enjoy. I understand the Grail approach as I've done that in other arenas of my life however Spending time and money to seek incremental improvements just isn't where I want to be. Sure I'd like a step up but there's other things I walk that  path. Music for me is a relaxing time occupier that would be ruined if I went down the road of The Grail. I've enough of that elsewhere.

I totally agree with your premise here. Band Camp amps represents "bang for buck" performance, which I always seek.

I put most of my dollars and efforts into efficient speakers, while seeking high efficiency or low watt amps.

Quote Papa Pass: "I'm kind of a cheap guy, myself." "I go for simple circuits that sound really good." "I can tell from a Scope Trace, but we still go through a rigorous process." "My deceased friend had the best ears on the planet and I trusted his over mine for audible sounds"

• Like 1

Typical output on my McIntosh is 1/100 watt at normal listening volume

Design at low output is the key IMHO

Mc seems to be good at delivering outstanding first 1/2 watt quality

the rest is just head room.

• Like 1

I currently listen to a Topping PA3s purchased when my Fisher 440T had a (since repaired) failure. Didn't want to wait until I found the time to repair the receiver so at $150 what's not to like? I was astounded at the quality and detail of what came from my speakers. Still am. On another thread here I measured the output and it seems I'm only listening at 250mW at the (96 dB) loudest.

The Fisher is repaired and is now my bedroom system paired with some Polk Audio Monitor 5B I picked up for $25. Think I'll measure that set up,I'm curious. The Fisher was modded by the previous owner by installed a 500T transformer (?) which supposedly boosted power to about 35 WPC.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geezin' said:

I'm right there with you.

Having just completed my Amp Camp Amp build a few days ago, I suspect you would love it. Very well worth the money.

• Like 1

In my 4,300 cu ft room, with Khorns, at 13 feet away,

1 watt provides 95 dB per channel

9 watts provide the THx/Dolby spec 105 dB Peaks per channel

But

For instantaneous peaks resembling those of a very big orchestra (opera, Mahler, or Fanfare for the Common Man) I need:

32 watts for a very, very loud 110 dB, AND

128 watts for the super brief 116 dB peaks I assume are there for less than 1/8 second, but are not picked up due to SPL meter ballistics (mine is a needle type).

Here is another video Nelson recently made and around the 45:00 mark he really praises Klipsch speakers especially the Cornwall and LaScala. Also praises PWK. Fun when one legend starts talking about another. He mentions Paul was fun to be around as well. Nelson mentions a famous quote of PWK "what this country needs is a good 5 watt amplifier. On this video he repeats a lot that was in the above video but I always learn something new every time I listen to Nelson. 

• Like 2