B&K AV5125 Troubleshooting

fuzzydog

My old 2nd hand B&K AV5125 has developed a glitch.  It will turn on and work for a few moments before shutting off.  

When this glitch started occurring the amp would work for longer periods of time before shutting down.  The working duration shortened over time and now it basically shuts down immediately.

Has anyone experienced something similar and know what might be the cause?

Thanks

• Like 1

Just now, fuzzydog said:

No I haven’t cracked open the chassis yet.  Is there a particular location where dust can cause a short?

Thanks for your reply.

Just an in general comment as unit may be experiencing heat buildup. Ventilation likely a suspect to eliminate.

• Like 1

And along with the just saying.

If you do crack it open, you could take a photo of interior as the sharp members might spot a problem like  cracked solder joint for example or an overheated part that has gotten worse.

13 hours ago, fuzzydog said:

My old 2nd hand B&K AV5125 has developed a glitch.  It will turn on and work for a few moments before shutting off. 

the Amplifier needs servicing , best to have a tech look at it  , could be a host of things going on  ,

open up the amp , 1st , take off the cover , blow the amp with air , get all the dust out , re-test , no changes , get the amp inspected .