EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE!---Will ALK AP12-500 Crossovers work seamlessly in my stock 1980 La Scalas??

This is such an easy thing to google... http://www.alkeng.com/ap12_xo.html

The AP12-xx series networks are designed to operate with the Klipsch K33 woofer which represents an impedance of 6 Ohms in series with 1 mHy voice coil inductance. 

AP12-500 This one is intended for the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala. The crossover is at 500 Hz.

AP12-600 This one is intended for the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala using squawker drivers or horns that will not safely go down to 500 Hz. 

• edzu1234 changed the title to EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE!---Will ALK AP12-500 Crossovers work seamlessly in my stock 1980 La Scalas??
On 5/31/2022 at 9:58 AM, bribassguy said:

This is such an easy thing to google... http://www.alkeng.com/ap12_xo.html

The AP12-xx series networks are designed to operate with the Klipsch K33 woofer which represents an impedance of 6 Ohms in series with 1 mHy voice coil inductance. 

AP12-500 This one is intended for the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala. The crossover is at 500 Hz.

AP12-600 This one is intended for the Belle Klipsch or the La Scala using squawker drivers or horns that will not safely go down to 500 Hz. 

In this case Google is the expert…

• 4 weeks later...

“Loudspeaker people don’t understand how crossovers work.” -ALK

I gave up trying to convince him it didn’t work the way he thought

I do like the Universal. It’s the only thing he designed that made any sense to me, but I build it with a 2.5mH low pass coil. 

24 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

“Loudspeaker people don’t understand how crossovers work.” -ALK

Here's the Z of the Klipschorn bass unit (alone) measured by yours truly some years ago.  The plot starts at 10Hz and ends at 1kHz.

complex_Z_Klipschorn.thumb.jpg.ae5c62636b13fe2728259bf41f02824e.jpg

Below is Heyser's plot from the Audio magazine review article where he measured the 3-way system and plotted the result.  The loop in the middle is the bass section, similar to what's shown above.

image.jpeg.5392a6bfb0db7481407a7c78fb4294bc.jpeg

Here's the alk plot using his Klipschorn "emulator".  

image.jpeg.a6c9602a5934edfbff48b08341fa5f46.jpeg

Here's the contraption.

ALK_klipschorn_simulator.thumb.jpg.b59c68574a5cd936468af71f6465d87f.jpg

• Haha 1