Happy 8th Birthday to the Super Heresy Mod!!

Jim Jimbo still owns my original pair of the 1.0's and has built a few more for friends. During a recent phone conversation, he suggested that I create a summary of all the "too many pages" to save time for the Future Modders out there.

Pretty much all you need to know is on page 1 of the links I created in the first frames of this summary thread. Pictures and curves to your heart's content.

I named them "Super Heresy's" because of Dave's sMAHL super tweeters created and amazing sound in the top end, but the main reason I even attempted the change was because of something Roy Delgado taught me in 2007 about BL products of woofers, and something I learned by using a K43 and a Kappa 15C in my LaScalas, yielding better MIDRANGE definition in those bass horns.

As to the "Baby Cornwall" part of the name, it was mostly because I had to port it to get the bass back that I knew I would be thinning out with the woofer swap alone, but mostly is about the PLACEMENT requirements of the rear port "Corner or Wall" which is how PWK derive the name of the bigger box they made circa 1958. I never implied that the SH mod would be as good as a real Klipsch Cornwall because the bigger box/bigger woofer would trounce the SH in the bass department, which would be known to your ears in about 2 seconds of listening. But for it's size, the SH is a total sonic BEAST!

But for the Super Heresy, I wanted a more responsive Midrange also, but I ended up with fabulous BASS as a total surprise! Then I just decided to "share the joy" here. I can't know for sure, but there seems to have been several dozen pairs created since day one. It's been nice to read that everyone that did this never went back to the old sealed box and all have cited better sound as the reason.

The 2.0 uses the slightly better and more expensive Neo Magnet woofer that has higher output capability, with essentially the same Sound.

For those who want to do this incrementally, I suggest you start by replacing the woofer and add the port WITHOUT changing the type E network at all.

Then you may want to simply change out the capacitors (ordering Six 2 uF capacitors, but only using 4 initially) on the E network, using their original values. This is what @FIDO did, Plus adding the DaveA Tweeters, then stopping with full satisfaction without changing the Autoformer taps, like it says to do. He subsequently sold them to another gentleman who also thinks they are great that way, making room for a Forte IV in his small living room in the process.

Depending on the size and "Brightness" of your ROOM, your hearing sensitivity, and personal preference.

So, I'm saying, you may want to hold off on changing the capacitor values, and soldering to different taps on the T2A autoformer, until you feel you need it after much listening. Or you may want to change just ONE, and A/B against the other one with full mod first to see what you like better.

The "full mod" results in a +3 db higher output from 700 hz to 20 Khz. like I did on both of mine. Whether you do this final step or not is up to you and your preference.

Either way, the Heresy is the most "time aligned" of the PWK Heritage speakers where it counts, and creates what some have describe as Fantastic Imaging. Long live the Klipsch K-42!!

Best of Luck to all you Klipsch Fanatical Modders out there!

• Like 1

• ClaudeJ1 changed the title to Happy 8th Birthday to the Super Heresy Mod!!
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Khornukopia said:

A good option for folks who want big sound from a compact size speaker.

Thanks for the plug. I have a pair of 2.0's and will have a second pair soon to replace my Forte 1 (channels 4 and 5) so I will have more room for shelves underneath for a growing 4K movie collection. But they do sound good as mains too, like most people here use them. Happy modding to all, even though inflation has made it way more expensive than 8 years ago, it was never "cheap" back then either, just GOOD!

Since Klipsh Inc. now uses double flared ports in their Mark IV offerings (and inside ported horns, too) Here's a port with double flares you can use with Super Heresy 1.0 or 2.0. You may not hear an improvement, but every little bit helps, right? Buy some extra ones just in case.

https://www.parts-express.com/B-52-4-Diameter-x-4-1-2-Long-Flared-Port-Kit-299-2368?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16380022984&utm_content=135206494513&utm_term=&gadid=584044596140&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlemWBhDUARIsAFp1rLXYqBQPxE9AqgqqkDzjni8PJBnXdtsOciKc2E3xn5XeFmCJFXOh0GUaAt2JEALw_wcB