1979 LaScala (Asking For Advice)

39 minutes ago, drboar said:

If the tweeters are rear mounted flush mounting it will be an improvement.

Seal the doghouse with the foam tape used for sealing drivers.

Crossbraces between doghouse and sidewalls can be a good idea.

Aren't the tweeters and squawkers originally flush mounted? I'll try the tape, thanks.

20 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, replace the 13uf cap with a 6.8uf cap, and change the tap on the autoformer from tap 4 to tap 3.

Put blue painters tape on the K400, and then apply dynamat.  Contrary to other statements here, it works quite well.  I have done it many times, and it makes a difference.

Recommend against stuffing the doghouse.

Wondering if I use a 6.8uf cap and decide later to get it close to 13uf, would a second 6.8uf cap in parallel work?

Painters tape, great idea. Easily reversible.

20 minutes ago, scalawag said:

One factor that might be contributing to the "bloated/boomy" sound you are hearing are the "hard" surfaces of your listening room, ie the walls and floor.  You might try laying down an area rug and maybe a put up a couple of wall hangings to absorb some of the reflected sound coming out of your speakers.  I'm sure others on this forum can explain/resolve these issues in better detail than I....

Hard to tell from my photos but I do have a few throw rugs. I my walls are covered with art, most of which is 3D (I'm an artist). I'd be surprised if I was getting perfect reflections. I may be able to whip up some sound absorbing panels to place behind them, but wondering if this would help much since my older speakers didn't seem to require them in the same room.

-

As far as Crites vs JEM. Both seem to wave their flags pretty hard. I've heard great things about Crites from the start, but have also read confusing info around their caps. JEM may have convinced me to chip off my Klipsch emblem, (I don't like freely advertising anyway). I kinda wish I had the capacity to experiment with all the caps suggested. Really interested in what the JEM caps sound like, but my curiosity was swayed when I read about Cirtes A-55-G/2 vs Atlas PD-5VH, which made me question if contemporary Klipsch standards are the way to go (that maybe an irrelevant comparison). I may be tangling myself, just writing out loud.

21 minutes ago, Budman said:

https://critesspeakers.com/

Crites has been the go to guy on the forum for 20 years with the best parts money can buy and the best service on the planet

you can talk directly to Michael Crites for all your needs

Budman, I noticed that all your speakers in your description have or had custom crossovers. How were the jupiter caps? They're expensive but I keep reading good things about them. Zu used to offer them as an upgrade for my other speakers.

11 minutes ago, estelegalize said:

Budman, I noticed that all your speakers in your description have or had custom crossovers. How were the jupiter caps? They're expensive but I keep reading good things about them. Zu used to offer them as an upgrade for my other speakers.

i just sold my Jupiter set to a forum member because i got the V-caps from Deang that are sooooooo good i ordered another set.

Jupiters were fantastic but the ODAM caps or V-caps are off the charts

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Budman said:

i just sold my Jupiter set to a forum member because i got the V-caps from Deang that are sooooooo good i ordered another set.

Jupiters were fantastic but the ODAM caps or V-caps are off the charts

As an amateur I dunno if it's smart to try and solder $700 caps. Seems like some of the custom crossover builders are retiring. Crites and JEM seem like the only options outside of experimenting with suggested caps. The Audiocaps are closer to my comfort zone, but I keep reading about the advantages of paper in oil caps.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, estelegalize said:

As an amateur I dunno if it's smart to try and solder $700 caps. Seems like some of the custom crossover builders are retiring. Crites and JEM seem like the only options outside of experimenting with suggested caps. The Audiocaps are closer to my comfort zone, but I keep reading about the advantages of paper in oil caps.

Sent you a PM.

48 minutes ago, estelegalize said:

Wondering if I use a 6.8uf cap and decide later to get it close to 13uf, would a second 6.8uf cap in parallel work?

I would just replace it with a 13uf, but once you hear the difference, you won't want to......

2 hours ago, estelegalize said:

I read about Cirtes A-55-G/2 vs Atlas PD-5VH, which made me question if contemporary Klipsch standards are the way to go

you mean that klipsch lied to us all these years , and klipsch is sub-standard , hurry up ,   TMZ News may be interested in the scoop 

14 minutes ago, 001 said:

you mean that klipsch lied to us all these years , and klipsch is sub-standard , hurry up ,   TMZ News may be interested in the scoop 

I'm calling no one a liar. I'm sharing that I'm questioning standards because of the mixed information I've read ("this has lower distortion than stock"). Everyone seems to have an angle. Hard to determine what info to consider as potential truth. One of the main reasons I hesitated in asking for advice.

• Like 1

I had a pair of beater LS (one was a clone cabinet). I front mouted the cast k400 horns. I used a 3rd party tweeter in a baffle, placed on top, at the back edge so the mid/tweeter diaphragms would be acoustically time aligned. You have lots of options if you want to tinker. I think they sounded pretty good. My older son has them now.

@Invidiosulus

20190422_214254~2.jpg

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I had a pair of beater LS (one was a clone cabinet). I front mouted the cast k400 horns. I used a 3rd party tweeter in a baffle, placed on top, at the back edge so the mid/tweeter diaphragms would be acoustically time aligned. You have lots of options if you want to tinker. I think they sounded pretty good. My older son has them now.

@Invidiosulus

20190422_214254~2.jpg

They do sound great.

I think the time alignment between the mid and tweeter is really worth considering.

4A74ACB7-CD73-4AB1-BFEE-D689DAB95A92.thumb.jpeg.cb6077fe98a0dbd652d67f16660d0753.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

@Invidiosulus

20190422_214254~2.jpg

What are the benefits to time aligning? Better imaging? I've seen a few pairs with top mounted tweeters. Saw one with an altec horn, wonder if its for the same purpose. I wish I had a beater pair to play with, but this seems like an irreversible option. Did you use a gasket between the horn and cabinet?

I think the reason they sound different than your first experience with them in the "warehouse" environment is just that; your home and the "warehouse" are entirely different acoustic environments, including room volume and liveness.

I doubt you can reproduce the volume aspect of that first listen, but maybe you can simulate the acoustic qualities of that warehouse, whether live or dead or somewhere in between and you'll find that sound you first heard.

I'm not a fan of all that tweaking jazz. I think the LaScalas are best at filling large environments and I'll bet if you played them outside they would absolutely rip the drivers out of any other speaker!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, billybob said:

Welcome! Only advice will give for now is maybe the capacitor refresh and enjoy. Nothing wrong with the LaScala as is camp.

Congratulations and thanks...

I think this is great advice.  Properly  working Lascala’s shouldn’t sound bloated or veiled, just the opposite actually. Maybe something isn’t working right , or possibly they have been tampered with . I’ve never  been a fan of modifying PWK or Roy Delgado’s speaker designs , it’s very difficult for a layman to improve on their work . My advice is to make sure that everything is stock and in good working order , and use this as a benchmark for any attempt at modifying. Properly working Klipsch Lascala’s are phenomenal speakers and in a class of their own 🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2