Jump to content

1979 LaScala (Asking For Advice)


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Tom05 said:

I think this is great advice.  Properly  working Lascala’s shouldn’t sound bloated or veiled, just the opposite actually. Maybe something isn’t working right , or possibly they have been tampered with . I’ve never  been a fan of modifying PWK or Roy Delgado’s speaker designs , it’s very difficult for a layman to improve on their work . My advice is to make sure that everything is stock and in good working order , and use this as a benchmark for any attempt at modifying. Properly working Klipsch Lascala’s are phenomenal speakers and in a class of their own 🤓

And I agree with you. Like to listen awhile before deciding what to do. Took me years before asking *Dean for a cap rebuild kit for Chorus. My 84 LS with original ALs were good.

Cool...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, billybob said:

And I agree with you. Like to listen awhile before deciding what to do. Took me years before asking *Dean for a cap rebuild kit for Chorus. My 84 LS with original ALs were good.

Cool...

Hey billybob , I guess we think alike . I’ve got a set of AK2 Khorns that I’ve been studying for at least 5 years,  contemplating a conversation  to AK3 , got all the parts I need, It’s just they sound darn good as is  🤷 .have a great day🤓

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think many seek something they cannot identify until they get lucky and stumble upon it. That is we're not sure but seeing what others like we assume we will as well. I advised my customers to ride their motorcycles for 6 months before changing anything other than adjustments for comfort or safety. It's tough to take my own advice but I've gotten there.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everything is reversible. It's a great speaker to play around with. You don't have to go nuts with them to get decent results.

 

@Curious_Georgeis right about the horn. If you like to jack on the volume they will drill a hole through your head. Low to modest levels, I think they sound good. I experimented with some different horns early on, but when I went to low volume listening as a course of habit, I went back to the K-400. Great dynamics and resolving power at those levels.

 

Your K-55's could probably use a new set of diaphragms, and lot cheaper than new drivers. With that said, the A-55-G is a dual phase plug design, and would be an improvement over your stock drivers. 

 

The 6.8uF mod is hit or miss. I've had some complain that the mids become too recessed. It really relates to how loud you listen. The louder you listen, the higher the likelihood that you're going to like it.

 

Since you are new to these, I recommend getting the kit from JEM. This will give you the correct baseline to start from. If you love it, great, if not -- then go to a quality film and foil like the PPT Theta or Jantzen Z-cap.

 

Deang

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Peter P. said:

I think the reason they sound different than your first experience with them in the "warehouse" environment is just that; your home and the "warehouse" are entirely different acoustic environments, including room volume and liveness.

 

I doubt you can reproduce the volume aspect of that first listen, but maybe you can simulate the acoustic qualities of that warehouse, whether live or dead or somewhere in between and you'll find that sound you first heard.

 

I'm not a fan of all that tweaking jazz. I think the LaScalas are best at filling large environments and I'll bet if you played them outside they would absolutely rip the drivers out of any other speaker!

I think you're right. Often I listened to that warehouse pair at loud volumes, and damn do they sound good. They still need a bit help with a sub, but even without, I was amazed.

 

That'll be my puzzle to solve, making our pair give a similar experience. I'm still having a good time as is. Relistening to music I know very well, while also enjoying music I don't often listen to. These things are keepers. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, billybob said:

And I agree with you. Like to listen awhile before deciding what to do. Took me years before asking *Dean for a cap rebuild kit for Chorus. My 84 LS with original ALs were good.

Cool...

I definitely plan on living with them as is for a good while, at least until I finish sewing the hole in my pocket. I like to scheme ahead, or daydream if you will, it keeps my mind busy and can be a good distraction (at times) from my daily work. That's why I wanted to ask the good people here for advice.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tom05 said:

Hey billybob , I guess we think alike . I’ve got a set of AK2 Khorns that I’ve been studying for at least 5 years,  contemplating a conversation  to AK3 , got all the parts I need, It’s just they sound darn good as is  🤷 .have a great day🤓

I was fortunate enough to listen to Khorns with AK3s for one song (I played Charles Mingus' Goodbye, Porkpie Hat). It was a trip. Crazy imaging.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, estelegalize said:

I definitely plan on living with them as is for a good while, at least until I finish sewing the hole in my pocket. I like to scheme ahead, or daydream if you will, it keeps my mind busy and can be a good distraction (at times) from my daily work. That's why I wanted to ask the good people here for advice.

Cool, think you are going to rediscover the sound, or close enough from your past. Member's here can help it become real.

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, geezin' said:

I think many seek something they cannot identify until they get lucky and stumble upon it. That is we're not sure but seeing what others like we assume we will as well. I advised my customers to ride their motorcycles for 6 months before changing anything other than adjustments for comfort or safety. It's tough to take my own advice but I've gotten there.

I seek for truth. No really, how do I get the close to live sound in my living room?

 

When I was in school, we often participated in "critiques" where we'd share our thoughts around particular work. You'd hear a myraid of opinions and insights that at times would be in direct opposition to each other, or would back each other's thoughts on the subject. These crits were helpful to me as I would listen, offer my opinion, and would try to keep an open mind in case someone would help me see outside of my perspective.

 

I'm not asking anyone to change my mind. I personally feel it's helpful to hear peoples opinions, insights, suggestions, and approaches to help me think if any of it applies to my interests and intentions.

 

Thanks again everyone for sharing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

the K55X  and k-400-k-401 hons are used on new AL5  and AK6 ,  the A-55G was tested by klipsch and they are still using the better driver -

 

The initial tests by Crites were flawed , they used 40 year old K-55V drivers with worn out  diaphragms   instead of  klipsch testing with  new diaphragms in both drivers  which obviously showed quite  different  results .

 

The k-77  with original crossovers , or horns ,  or tweeters , or aftermarket  diaphragms  work great .

 

The klipsch capacitors sold by JEM  ,  are in fact  balancing since they do not require any other changes to the speaker's components  ,  while aftermarkets by altering  the sound  force changes to the drivers , or horns and even to the crossovers .

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Everything is reversible. It's a great speaker to play around with. You don't have to go nuts with them to get decent results.

 

@Curious_Georgeis right about the horn. If you like to jack on the volume they will drill a hole through your head. Low to modest levels, I think they sound good. I experimented with some different horns early on, but when I went to low volume listening as a course of habit, I went back to the K-400. Great dynamics and resolving power at those levels.

 

Your K-55's could probably use a new set of diaphragms, and lot cheaper than new drivers. With that said, the A-55-G is a dual phase plug design, and would be an improvement over your stock drivers. 

 

The 6.8uF mod is hit or miss. I've had some complain that the mids become too recessed. It really relates to how loud you listen. The louder you listen, the higher the likelihood that you're going to like it.

 

Since you are new to these, I recommend getting the kit from JEM. This will give you the correct baseline to start from. If you love it, great, if not -- then go to a quality film and foil like the PPT Theta or Jantzen Z-cap.

 

Deang

Thanks Deang.

 

Listening volumes vary to time of day and mood. If I'm listening closely, I'd say I'm listening at a bit above moderate levels, and that's mostly because I grew up going to live shows, I like to be IN the music. I know, its terrible for my ears. I like to think I'm listening below ear damaging levels, but who knows, maybe I should get a decibel meter.

 

I also enjoy the intimacy of late night low volume listening, so that might be an issue with the 6.8uf cap. To think of it, I'll mostly have them playing with the volume up so I think it's worth a try.

 

Thanks for the cap and driver advice. I think the "up to spec" approach is a good start too.

 

-

 

Speaking of reversible, has anyone tried rubber spray paint as a damper for the horn? It's easy to strip off.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 001 said:

 

the K55X  and k-400-k-401 hons are used on new AL5  and AK6 ,  the A-55G was tested by klipsch and they are still using the better driver  , you see ,  the initial tests by Crites were flawed , they used 40 year old K-55V drivers with worn out  diaphragms   instead of testing like klipsch with  new diaphragms in both drivers  which obviously showed quite  different  results .

 

there is nothing wrong with the k-77 nor with original crossovers , or horns ,  or tweeters , or aftermarket  diaphragms  .

The klipsch capacitors sold by JEM  ,  are in fact  balancing since they do not require any other changes to the speaker's components  ,  while aftermarkets by altering  the sound effectively break the balance  , which  forces changes to the drivers , or horns and even to the crossovers until  a suitable equilibrium is reached  . 

 

 

That's interesting. Would you recommend Crites' replacement diaphragms for the K-55V?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, estelegalize said:

 

Speaking of reversible, has anyone tried rubber spray paint as a damper for the horn? It's easy to strip off.

 

 

 

 

I think this is why Jimbo suggested painters tape BEFORE applying the damping material.

 

And welcome to an awesome forum.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, 001 said:

The initial tests by Crites were flawed , they used 40 year old K-55V drivers with worn out  diaphragms.


Frequency response plots on the Crites website for the Allen driver were done using new-ish PD5’s - and those were done by Bob and Michael. The distortion tests were done by Al with a driver of unknown condition. John Warren also did distortion tests using a K-55-M. The Allen driver came in slightly better, but not as exaggerated as Al’s. My understanding was Roy just didn’t need the extended response of the driver since he was cutting everything at 4.5kHz. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, estelegalize said:

That's interesting. Would you recommend Crites' replacement diaphragms for the K-55V?

yes , spares  are handy , but , you can shop around .  I always keep a  set of spares of either new drivers or diaphragms   .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:


Frequency response plots on the Crites website for the Allen driver were done using new-ish PD5’s - and those were done by Bob and Michael. The distortion tests were done by Al with a driver of unknown condition. John Warren also did distortion tests using a K-55-M. The Allen driver came in slightly better, but not as exaggerated as Al’s. My understanding was Roy just didn’t need the extended response of the driver since he was cutting everything at 4.5kHz. 

Would you still recommend the JEM caps if I'm considering Dave A's tweeter/driver combo?

 

I've read somewhere that Crites' caps returned them to spec, as in restoring the speakers. I'm guessing that's not agreed upon since Klipsch has their own approved caps, also guessing that the sonicaps give you a bit flavor the JEM caps don't, and vice versa.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, estelegalize said:

Would you still recommend the JEM caps if I'm considering Dave A's tweeter/driver combo?

 

I've read somewhere that Crites' caps returned them to spec, as in restoring the speakers. I'm guessing that's not agreed upon since Klipsch has their own approved caps, also guessing that the sonicaps give you a bit flavor the JEM caps don't, and vice versa.

I have the SMAHL in both my 79 CW and 75 LS. Crites in CW, JEM in LS. The SMAHL was a drastic improvement to my ears. Installed many months after crossover replacement and rebuild.  I can’t recommend them enough. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...