heritage unavailable

jdm56

So, two and a half years after I got my k-horns, I'm finally ready to get a belle for center channel duty. I've brow-beaten the wife into submission and I've called dealers near and far, trying to find a good price. I've got a shiny new credit card in my sweaty little hands-you know, one of those "no interest for six months" intro offers-and I am so READY! So, I call the dealer I'd settled on to verify that the price he'd quoted a couple of months ago was still good. This was on Friday, April 6th. I'm told he'll have to call Klipsch for a price check, as the Heritage speakers were not listed on his latest price sheet. OK. No problem. I've waited this long; I can wait a few more days. So come Monday, during lunch the phone rings. Yes, it's the dealer. But guess what; The company that makes the tweeters for the heritage speakers has gone out of business. And Klipsch apparently doesn't know where to go from here. All the dealer can tell me is to "check back at the end of this summer".

Now let me get this straight, and please, someone correct me if I'm wrong:

The maker of heritage tweeters has gone belly up, so that means they will not build any heritage speakers for six months or so... Now is that any way to run a company? I mean really, what is wrong with this picture?s>

I hope someone, somewhere can shed some light on this, uh, situation. 'Till then, ebay, here I come!

------------------

JDMcCall

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it is the tweeters that are the problem. E-V no longer makes drivers and the K-55-M in now unavailable. Others are being tested, but no selection has been made. E-V also made the tweeters so they are no longer available, either, but it is my understanding that a Klipsch friendly entity bought the tooling and can/is making the tweeters. Now if THEY'VE gone belly up, we have a problem!

John

John,

Thanks a bunch for the info. That's more than any of the dozen or so dealers I have spoken with seem to know. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that something works out. Preferably another company making the exact same drivers to klipsch spec and thereby matching older heritage speakers. I would be a little uncomfortable trying to mate it with my '98 k-horns if the drivers were completely different, regardless of quality. So I think I'll be cruising ebay for a nice oak belle. The only problem with that is that I'd really like to have a newer spec belle, with the mid and tweeter horns mounted on the outside of the baffle. That may be hard to come by on ebay.

So come on klipsch, I'm waiting!

------------------

JDMcCall

The squawker horn is now mounted on the front of the baffle! I didn't know that. It's been overdue. I have the flush mount brackets for the tweeters for my La Scalas. You will get the same drivers you have now with any Belle made in 1982 and after. The crossover will be different in the older ones, but they can updated. I doubt you will hear much difference.

A recent factory tour improves ones knowledge! smile.gif

John

I just ordered a pair of LaScallas and I hope I don't experitence the same problem! I ordered them last Friday (April 6) and the dealer didn't say a word about it. The dealer also told me they would take about 2 months to get...? This typical?

Wired1 and others - Klipsch continues to work with selected vendors to develop proper replacement drivers for the Heritage line. This is indeed why those models are not shown on the new price sheet issued at the beginning of the year. If your dealer has inquired with our customer service staff or with his Klipsch sales rep he should have gotten the complete skinny. We hope to be back in prodution by August - maybe earlier.

PWK was always committed to evolving the Heritage speakers and over the years, a number of different drivers and networks have been used. Others who contribute to this bb'd can give you more information than I about the history of the speakers. In fact, some people are quite interested in any available updates to their existing speakers while others are wary of any change whatsoever. All I can promise you is that we will get this right and not rush headlong into anything.

If your dealer has taken an order for Heritage models other than Heresy, you should contact the dealer. We wil not be able to ship for at least 60 days and likely longer than that.

Maybe all of your Heritage models just went up in value.

In negotiations, it is always a good sign when the other side opens saying "later and maybe sooner" instead of "definitely never".

During the tour, I saw what I think is an old model midrange driver from Atlas, but marked as manufactured in Atlas's new location. This could be the replacement for the more recent EV manufactured midrange. I concluded at the time the guys in Hope are indeed working in the direction Bob G states.

I also note that the spec on the old Chorus is up to 101 dB. Therefore, Klipsh has worked with other horn tweeters pretty close in sensitivity to the K-77.

We should be happy. I predict that at worst, we're going to see the Heritage line with improved drivers.

I'm keeping the faith.

Gil

Thanks so much to all who have posted on this topic. It has really helped ease my "purchase interuptus" anxiety. To think that I was was within 4-6 weeks of a beautiful new belle to go with my beloved klipschorns, and then suddenly it's all on indefinite hold is, well, frustrating to say the least. But the information from Bob G, Tony, John A and others has given me ample reason to hope that the situation will soon be sorted out, and that klipschorns, belle klipsches and la scalas will soon be shipping to fortunate music lovers all over the world again. Maybe they'll even be better! At the least, I hope they will still mate well with older heritage speakers of recent vintage.

But just the same, I still think I'll be cruising ebay in the meantime, in hopes of a good deal on a nice oak belle.

Oh, John, I may have been ASSuming too much on that squawker horn being front mounted on the baffle of current k-h, belle and l-s speakers. Perhaps someone can shed some more light on that. I just ASSumed that when they front mounted the tweeter, they would do the same with the mid. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

------------------

JDMcCall

Bob,

Does this mean that my 2 month speaker delay is because of Klipsch not having the horns or is it typical to have to wait 2 months to get a pair of Heritage speakers (LaScallas)? Additionally, I had to buy the speakers blind because not one dealer in my area had a pair to demo for me - that shows my dedication and patience (for a 2 month wait) to Klipsch. On top of that, I tried to order a t-shirt online and it said it was out of stock. Figuring that their was a problem with the web site, I tried to order 1 of everything and, low and behold, I couldn't. ON TOP OF THAT... I tried to order some literature several times on the Heritage series and never got anything. I waited several weeks with anticipation and got nothing.

Now, I don't like to complain but this has to be as bad customer service as can be. The dealer who is VERY knowledgable never said a word about the horn problem and told me the 2 month wait was normal. What is going on??? It seems like I am getting shafted by everyone and I already had to put half down for the speakers and, because they were a special order, was already told that they are not refundable! Again, this is the absolute worst service I have ever gotten. Is their any way you could look into this for me???

Thanx in advance....

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net

Wired1 - Based on Bob's post above, I would contact the dealer if I were you: "If your dealer has taken an order for Heritage models other than Heresy, you should contact the dealer. We wil not be able to ship for at least 60 days and likely longer than that."

It seems Klipsch did their part by not including the La Scala's on the January 2001 price list, which would tell me (if I was a dealer) that something was afoot and I better call Klipsch before taking a guy's money for La Scala's.

Good luck!

I talked to my dealer, who is part of a big chain (United Audio or Tweeter) and maybe they have a little pull...? They sell large amounts of Klipsch speakers so maybe he will be able to look into it for me. Actually, he is a friend of a friend and has been helping me out with all my equipment. I was also to believe that Klipsch speakers are going to go up considerably after they go through some type of "restructuring". My price is locked in so we'll see what happens....

Hope for the best..

John Warren said: "Should audition before buying. LaScala is an odd one, could be in for a dissapointment."

I agree that auditioning the Heritage series is important prior to purchase - the fully horn loaded Klipsch speakers (Klipschorn, La Scala and Belle) all sound different than just about any other speaker. I'm not sure about the "odd one" comment, though... La Scala and Belle sound about identical, and both sound like a KHorn that's had it's deep bass amputated, but from the midbass on up they're identical.

Ray '74 La Scalas Garrison

wired1 and all,

"Prices going up..." AARRRRGH! My worst nightmare! A large part of the reason I was so jazzed to get my belle ordered now, before a price increase. Knowing that the current prices have been in effect a while, I could just smell it coming. But hopefully that won't be the case.

My timing on this whole deal has just been lousy. I think I'm gonna be sick now...

wired 1, at least you have that price lock goin' for you. You may have a long wait, but I've got zilch. Just a new credit card I don't need and a big empty spot in between my cornerhorns.

Come on klipsch! Don't let me down.

------------------

JDMcCall

James,

I agree that we are both in the same boat but you still may want to try ordering that speaker before the increases go into effect. It really sux because I don't know what is going on and haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone. I will wait it out if I have to but I wont be happy. I guess the only thing that may make me happy is knowing that I ordered the speakers before the price increase... if their is one. From what my dealer told me, ALL Heritage speakers will be MSRP only - no deals of any kind. I don't know how accurate this is but I have heard something similar from another dealer...? Perhaps the moderator can shed some light on this.

As for ordering the LaScalla's blind.. I have heard them once before and I still remember the sound. It was about 7 years ago and the impression it left on me was unreal. I am fully aware that ANY horn will sound "brite" but no other speaker will play as loud and clear as the Heritage will. I would have liked to have gotten the K-Horns but they are huge and not practical for my living room. Above all that... I am a bass player for 15 years so volume, bass and clarity are HUGE concerns to me. I know the LaScalla's are a little light on the bass so I am already looking into a REL subwoofer.

Keep me posted on that Belle... Try to get it ordered and wait it out.

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net