Reworking a set of HISM Slants

Dave A

OK @babadono here is your thread. We have all seen the Slants before so for the sake of preserving space for future pictures I will omit this. Anyway you get the back cover loose and the first thing I do is remover the K-55-V driver. It makes all the rest of the work easier to not have to maneuver around this. In any case now that it is removed you need to replace that old rock hard gasket. Kinda tough to get them out sometime but now is the time to replace them. Crites sells these.1912499376_badhorngasket.thumb.jpg.f907216c4f28ada0cfbcc420800a1dbc.jpg

Next up is the tweeter.  Sorry for the poor picture but you all get the idea. Take that old dog barker out and save it for resale on EBay. While you are at it there is another thing you need to take care of. Sometimes wires can lay up against horns or speaker frames and can at times make an audible noise you will catch real grief over trying to figure out where it comes from. In this case the OEM tweeter wires on both boxes was laying right on the mid horn. I have no idea if it really did cause noise and eliminated the potential problem as a matter of precaution.

1123617139_badtweeterphoto.thumb.jpg.f9c4d82fe455d8626dc02c5ca2de1810.jpg

So the answer to that is to route the wire so it will never do so again. I take one of those nylon capacitor clips and use it as a guide as pictured.

1614688387_wireclip.thumb.jpg.9097cdb8889642a5e22d240ef3118116.jpg

Now while you have that box open this is the time to check that all the driver and horn mounting screws are tight. While you are at it because you care do things like wipe the powdery stuff off the old woofer back and check for debris and remove it all. Yeah I know no one will see it but do it right anyway.

937506009_checkover.thumb.jpg.bbccdb8d208d6d37e9a173a8e5f49ea3.jpg

On to the crossover. I silicone all capacitors in now. I guess hot glue would be no problem except I have seen capacitors work loose from that. I have never seen ones loose from silicone. I used to use those clips and cable ties until I found they dented the side of the caps over time and  decided that I would avoid potential damage by not doing that anymore. So yes you have to wait for the silicone to set up but surely you can find something to do while you wait.  First up the original crossover.

385431108_crossoverbeforework.thumb.jpg.3e1a44bdb8a230fcf398029380e148c5.jpg

Get rid of the Zeners as you will not need them with the SMAHL's and silicone those suckers in. While you are at it check the coil screw to make sure it is brass or stainless and not magnetic. Both of these had zinc plated steel and had to be replaced. Yes the steel screws change the value of the coil and need to go.

165286599_siliconethosesuckers.thumb.jpg.6d644e175d6ffb72e2fc7e6e385720c7.jpg

Here is the finished crossover and you are good to go for the next 40 years.

2038857441_finishedcrossover.thumb.jpg.cc2945d0accba7a8ed152c35fd9ecc3e.jpg

By the way I have a pile of obsolete out of spec parts that I am throwing out again if anyone wants them. You pick up shipping and I will send them.

260897927_Oldoutofspecparts.thumb.jpg.7c44243fb92bc8ac8594e940f32ca283.jpg

workday begins.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last picture on my post should not be there. I tried a few times to delete it with no luck. It is my "work" bench with a beat up KP-480 crossover and the HISM crossover and the required caffeine laden drink on hand.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dave,

I wound up with a pair of those virtually identical inside.  Mine are clear lacquer and per "The Historian" were from 1979 and an employee gift apparently given to employees as some sort of bonus or reward for something special.  They look really nice still.

The reason for my post was because they are stage monitors and not "heresys" per se.  They only play down to about 90 Hz.  After I recapped mine, they sounded like $hit and were pretty much useless when I compared them to other Heresy 1s that I own.  They had no bass and could not really be used as a full range speaker.

So...........I replaced the woofers with K22s and recapped them again...........but this time as E networks..........and created a pair of Heresy 1s very simply.  Now they are at least listenable as a full range speaker.  I use them outdoors on my patio with an old HH Scott LK-72.

Just wondering how yours sound to you as they are now.  How do you use them?

10 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Dave,

I wound up with a pair of those virtually identical inside.  Mine are clear lacquer and per "The Historian" were from 1979 and an employee gift apparently given to employees as some sort of bonus or reward for something special.  They look really nice still.

The reason for my post was because they are stage monitors and not "heresys" per se.  They only play down to about 90 Hz.  After I recapped mine, they sounded like $hit and were pretty much useless when I compared them to other Heresy 1s that I own.  They had no bass and could not really be used as a full range speaker.

So...........I replaced the woofers with K22s and recapped them again...........but this time as E networks..........and created a pair of Heresy 1s very simply.  Now they are at least listenable as a full range speaker.  I use them outdoors on my patio with an old HH Scott LK-72.

Just wondering how yours sound to you as they are now.  How do you use them?

I bought these to fix up and sell and do not intend to keep them. Now as they were stock they were mid range only and lows and highs cut off. The recapping did not hurt the sound but also did not make a real improvement. Adding an SMAHL helped the HF side of things. I figured these would go to a band somewhere just like the one I bought these from and to be used as monitors. The bass is cut off like you say. I have a set of Type E crossovers coming in and I might just stick those in and see how they do. I also wondered about the Super Heresy port idea and need to get with Claude and see what he thinks. I have a single KP-480 I am thinking of using with this set to see how that does. The slants are musical withing their limited range now but just no bass slam to speak of.

Yeah, sounds about the same as what happened to me.  I think you may find those woofers just can't get down there like a K22.  They might even be worth more as is for their intended application.  Fun to play with though.

1 hour ago, mark1101 said:

Yeah, sounds about the same as what happened to me.  I think you may find those woofers just can't get down there like a K22.  They might even be worth more as is for their intended application.  Fun to play with though.

All these older speakers are fun to play with but not many stick around long. I have a set of KP-301's right now I keep debating selling or keeping but most just move on. I just sold a set of K-22's and wont try finding more. If the KP-480 works well with them good and if not as you say they make good monitors.