Three 8000fs for L/C/R or Two 8000f and One 504c?

audiowarrior

Three 8000fs for L/C/R or Two 8000f and One 504c?

I keep reading that having the same speakers for L/C/R is important? What are your thoughts? Currently I am planning on doing Two 8000f and One 504c.

Isn't the 504c built differently? (focused on dialogue).

Or, no, it's still better to do three of the same speakers in front of you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joeh4384 said:

Are you using an acoustically transparent screen? I would only get the 504C if you are limited by a TV etc.

Unfortunantley no, this is how my current set-up looks like (2 600ms and a 504c). I gotta figure out a way to do 3 8000s without blocking the screen lol. I guess I'd gotta get a transparent screen.

https://imgur.com/a/FGUPHMU

22 minutes ago, audiowarrior said:

Unfortunantley no, this is how my current set-up looks like (2 600ms and a 504c). I gotta figure out a way to do 3 8000s without blocking the screen lol. I guess I'd gotta get a transparent screen.

https://imgur.com/a/FGUPHMU

I would just start with 2 8000Fs for now and use the 504C for center. It will still sound awesome. I have 2 RP 8000s and a RP 450c and it sounds great.  I take it you are planning on moving the screen to the right so you don't have a tower pretty much in the hallway? Are you moving the 600 Ms to surrounds?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, joeh4384 said:

I would just start with 2 8000Fs for now and use the 504C for center. It will still sound awesome. I have 2 RP 8000s and a RP 450c and it sounds great.  I take it you are planning on moving the screen to the right so you don't have a tower pretty much in the hallway? Are you moving the 600 Ms to surrounds?

You're 100% correct with your theory. That was the plan. But, family doesn't like that area being too cluttered. So I may just store the 8000s until I move out and stick with the 600s and 504c for now.

Although, now I'm wondering if simply elevating the screen 15 inches would do the trick. Then I could get rid of the table and just put 3 8000s under the screen.

Joe --

1. I'm curious, did you do any manual EQ with your 450c? The 504c is very nice, but the highs have too much shrill for my taste.

2. Also, how is the sound dispersion for you? Do you find the 450c being too 'narrow' of a sweet spot? If so, does that annoy you?

13 hours ago, audiowarrior said:

You're 100% correct with your theory. That was the plan. But, family doesn't like that area being too cluttered. So I may just store the 8000s until I move out and stick with the 600s and 504c for now.

Although, now I'm wondering if simply elevating the screen 15 inches would do the trick. Then I could get rid of the table and just put 3 8000s under the screen.

Joe --

1. I'm curious, did you do any manual EQ with your 450c? The 504c is very nice, but the highs have too much shrill for my taste.

2. Also, how is the sound dispersion for you? Do you find the 450c being too 'narrow' of a sweet spot? If so, does that annoy you?

Something to consider when/if you raise the screen. Like with speakers you want the tweeters "ear level" with video viewing you'll find it more comfortable for your eyes to have the center of the screen at "eye level". Just my opinion after spending time at friends with the darned things 6ft up over a fireplace. YMMV

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

Something to consider when/if you raise the screen. Like with speakers you want the tweeters "ear level" with video viewing you'll find it more comfortable for your eyes to have the center of the screen at "eye level". Just my opinion after spending time at friends with the darned things 6ft up over a fireplace. YMMV

Good point, I'm trying to think of an alternative solution.. It seems the best thing to do is figure out a way to get a transparent screen and place the speakers behind.

1 hour ago, audiowarrior said:

Good point, I'm trying to think of an alternative solution.. It seems the best thing to do is figure out a way to get a transparent screen and place the speakers behind.

Almost need something custom made in order to be far enough from the wall for the speakers to be behind. I can think of all sorts of ways. None are pretty for a family room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWOReilly said:

Almost need something custom made in order to be far enough from the wall for the speakers to be behind. I can think of all sorts of ways. None are pretty for a family room.

yea, you're literally reading my mind haha. Imagine buying speakers, only to store them in your garage for when you 'move out.' lmao

On 6/6/2022 at 5:11 PM, audiowarrior said:

Joe --

1. I just ran Audyssey and bumped the center level a bit from what it set.

2. My room isn't that big but it sounds good enough if I sit on the love seat versus the couch. Usually I always sit in the prime spot lol. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, joeh4384 said:

1. I just ran Audyssey and bumped the center level a bit from what it set.

2. My room isn't that big but it sounds good enough if I sit on the love seat versus the couch. Usually I always sit in the prime spot lol. 

Do you like using Dynamic Volume: Light?