CORNWALL TEST: A great website for cornies!

-klipsch

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Most on here are familiar with the Belgaudio page, which actually is on the later version of the Cornwall (without Type B Oils and Alnico drivers). It's a good page. Good idea to bring it back up.

I actually have a page devoted to the CW with pics/crossover comparisons/mods/articles/ and a review by me that is almost done but just havent wrapped it up. See 6SN7 page! heh.... Some day...

kh

You ordered the AQ 1003DT? Good thing you took my advice on that one! Heh.... If you had a Jolida 801a, be prepared for a step back or sideways in sonics. Surprised you went with this over a used amp offering. There is a lot of stuff in the $1000 range used that has better iron and circuit than these Chinese amps (the same factory makes a handful of amps passed on to a variety of manufacturers who use their own name). While they all offer good bang for buck (when working), the Quicksilver would probably be a step up.

But to be honest, the vintage integrateds really roll over these mid-level tube amps in almost every category. If going with ultra-sensitive horns, the differences are quite striking. The vintage units properly tweaked and setup are smoother, more refined, better detail, lower noise floor, and less pronounced sibilants. I find these amps in this range to have a treble that does not compete in the smoothness category.

What brought you to this choice? Just curious.

kh

A-4_top_500.jpg

ps- I have an EL-34 UL/Triode amp that is similar but made in the US. See above. I can tell you right now that it's VERY important to get the best 12AU7 or sub you can. Makes a big diff in sonics. These amps really need some mods to get less SS sounding to me. Does the ASL have a CHOKE in the power supply? This is nother key feature. Hell, I would have sold you this one for $550 if in the right mood...on an odd numbered day!

See that tube amp sitting below my post? That is a hard point to point wired better version of the ASL. There are a number of amps out there using the same type circuit more or less, this with two pairs of EL-34 and two pairs of 12AU7. It's is individually biased per tube as well with choke input power supply. I have rolled so many tubes into that circuit, it's scary. Want to know where that amp is right now? Sitting on the shelf. The 1959 EICO is

1. More refined

2. More detail

3. More Harmonic Richness

4. A more tuneful bottom end

6. Better output transformers

I am really finding it hard to believe that a number of people really into tube amps and horns are going with the ASL EL-34 amps. Who are these people? This is a GREAT first amp used and sounds ok. But for someone, and I thought you had been there done that from the sound of your posts, who has owned a number of amps, this amp will not impress for all practical purposes. It just doenst have the iron or build to get you there. Will it be BAD? No. Not at all. Will it equal some other used options in the same range? Nope.

Also, a client of mine was going to be one of the two major ONLINE DEALERS for ASL (besides DIVERTECH). He had a sampling of their entire product line from the EL-34, 2A3 SET, 845 SET, 63CC, and headphone amp (I also had one of these here). Several of the samples developed problems that need atttention in the first two months. IT was so troubling, he opted not to carry the line to avoid the hassles. I actually had worked up a website for line that went to shelf.

A pair of EICO HF-35 rechromed and sent to Craig Ostby of NOS Valves would give that ASL amp fits. I dont even think it would be a fair comparison. The quality of the sonics would be a MAJOR step up. These mid-price tube offerings are made to a price point.

I know a bit about the Jolida, another similar circuit. I had a Jolida 302 in house for a good while.

It's your choice. But for 900USD used, there are some amazing options that will take the sonics to another level. I would opt for USED over new any day as for tube amps. Much better bang for buck. Also, the differences are subtle between some of these peices. But these subtle difference can mean night and day in the long run. I personally dont like hardly any amps sans tube rectification but that is not shared by all. Although once you get used to that sound, even the better SS rectified amps dont have the smoothness.

kh

Wow, you talk of all these Cary amp products. When have you heard a Cary preamp?

What is the Cary house sound? I grew up outside of Cary and was there when ole Dennis started the whole deal from modding VTL out of Tom Hoffman's new store at Saltbox Village.

Would be interested to hear your description of the Cary house sound as I am pretty familiar with them (havent heard the Rocket 88 etc however). You heard the 300se monos on what?

I have also heard a number of Cary amps in the early stages and thought their EL-34 amp sounded nothing like their 300se monos. Ditto for their 211 SET. And the Superamp I had here and sold sounded TOTALLY different than their other gear.

kh

Yankee,

Your points are all well taken. At the same time they read a tad harsh. Sometimes I try to remember the old saying, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar". Kelly is one of the most respected posters we have on this board. Opinionated? Sure, but he usually coats it with a thick layer of honey. Get the drift?

Regards,

Chris

PS I live in a glass house.

No Honey here.... heh. I feel spry again. I love the smell of Napalm!

OK...Nice answer, Yankee. I think the Cary gear sound very different. What kind of answer is that?

You waste five minutes writing out the definition of subjective, yet dont spend the time discussing your interpretation of CARY "house" sound. Somehow, I dont feel you rightly know WHAT the Cary house sound is to be honest. Yet I really wanted to read your subjective take on the matter.

But even MORE troubling then aLL of this is your comment above.

In another post today, you state you owned a modified Jolida 801a, an amp that can run 6550, KT88, and even EL-34. Not minutes later, you actually post in this thread the question whether a 6SN7 can be substituted for an EL-34. Nothing wrong with that question for a total newbie just learning. It's fine and expected. On the other hand, these two tubes are not even in the same basic BALLPARk. Indeed, one is more commonly considered a power amp output tube, the other used in driver/pre and preamp circuits! But still, that is not too problematic.

WHAT IS PROBLEMATIC is that you OWNED A JOLIDA 801a that USES TWO 6SN7 tubes (and also runs 6550, KT88, EL-34)! This is very strange. Did you leave the stock Russian/Chinese 6SN7 in there? I am just thanking sweet jesus you didnt attempt to insert the 6SN7 octal tubes in the POWER TUBE SOCKETS of your 801! OR worse yet, the 6550 into the 6SN7 slots!

Thank sweet Jehovah for manuals and pictures. Where do I fit in the "I carried a pair of RB5 to the local HIGH END dealer" story? You pulled the grills and deer what?

Indeed.

kh

ps- Yeah, I am in a confrontational mood today. I re-read that Brennan-Schilling exchange and felt all fired up! HAPPY NEW YEAR! heh.....

You mean there are days when your not confrontational?

Let me check with Craig....

- tb

-------------------------------------

ps- Yeah, I am in a confrontational mood today. I re-read that

Brennan-Schilling exchange and felt all fired up! HAPPY NEW YEAR! heh.....

Hey, I just talked to ole Craig for 90 minutes on the phone the other night! And there was even back slapping and guffaws to be had all around!

Frightening, isnt it? Yeah, I guess I can be a bit cutting when provoked. Earlier, my shoe became untied and I almost removed the liver of my neighbor walking by. As I said:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

kh

What a crock. I have a Cary preamp. So what. I show no big love for Cary gear except their very early 300se monos using the extra power bank in the PS. I have recommended their preamps but dont recommend their amps too often. It appears as if you cant make the distinction between amps and preamps, nor (as we see below), driver/input/or output tubes.

That had NOTHING to do with my reponse. I just detected a total and complete bunch of hotair from your direction regarding some of the statements going on.

Listen Tex, I hate to tell you, but you OWNED AN AMP THAT USED 6SN7 tubes! Lets see if I can be any more clear.

The Jolida 801a that you owned employs TWO 6SN7 tubes. AND it also can use the EL-34/6550/KT88 etc. Note, there are MORE tubes in an amp than OUTPUT tubes. Either you didnt really own the 801a or you never even looked at the tubes to make the distinctions, either way, we have problems at Mission Control.

kh

ps- please dont put down Cary!!!!! CARY GOOD! OTHER AMPS BAD! Lord....