CORNWALL TEST: A great website for cornies!

-klipsch

Kelly and Yankee, thanks for the entertainment on this snowy afternoon. This after three whole days of relative peace :)

Yankee, like I suggested before, you might want to read back through mobile's stuff over the last few years before diving into the fray. If you're going to debate, it is helpful to know where your challenger is coming from and what his experience base looks like. Frankly, he is one of the warmest, most intelligent people I've never met, and if it weren't for that, I'd be a little intimidated.

Personally, I prefer to research, ask a question, and give thoughtful reflection to answers offered, this against the backdrop that I am a confessed dope.

Perhaps this thread got a little off the track in the beginning.

Grasshopper "over and out".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread kinda reminds me of a time gone by....

Does anyone remember when you were about 8 years old and you'd be walkin' around with a couple of your buddies and someone would say, "Stay away from that house, that's were old man Holsten lives. He's the meanest guy on the block. I heard he broke some kid's arm just for walkin' on his grass!". Then the next kid would say, "Aw, he's not so bad. My parents are friends with him. Ya just have to know him". Just then...a crotchety, stooped over, old man comes hobbling out of the house..flailing his cane and screaming, "Get off my grass, you useless little solid state lovers! Get out of here or I'll beat you with my vintage tube amp!" We ran all the way home and spun some vinyl. Those were the days.

Regards,

Chris

I thought the thread went a lot of places, Stehr! Besides, who is takng this that seriously anyway? Ole Yankee is mired in snow and still doesnt realize he owned an amp (maybe) that employs 6SN7 tubes. I find that troubling.

Sadly, it is ole Yank that wont get specific with details on sonics. I am still waiting for the Cary "house" sound from his perspective. I hardly ever just come in here and say, "I hate that cause I do" or "I dont like this" without discussing details or reasons citing examples. I gave you my reasons for taking a second look at ASL. Still, as stated, many have liked it. I just think there are other options that make more sense at $900. You supposedly owned the Jolida 801a and the $4000 Quicksilver V4. I just thought moving to the ASL seemed strange given what you stated.

No big deal to me...except when you starting puttin' down my CARY amps! I LOVE CARY!! No one talks about Cary like that and gets away with it!

Craig, dont you like my 2003 "New Leaf" I have turned?

kh

ps- Besides, I always thought ASL had that Cary House sound.... heh.

pps- Chris! I didnt know you had been to my house! Was that you with the skateboard?!!

----------------

On 1/3/2003 4:29:19 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Craig, dont you like my 2003 "New Leaf" I have turned?

kh---------------

Kelly,

I for one have noticed your recently turned "new leaf" seems like a kindler & gentler persona.Even posted a new post to "thank" everyone for good discussions as of late...

Good job!

Yankee-my question is...whatcha do with that Jolida 801A??
:)

Jeff

Bizarre thread.

If I had a grand to spend on an amp it sure wouldn't be an ASL. To not take that money and buy something slightly used is kind of like buying a new chevy when the same money would have got you a '97 Caddy.

As far as the Cary "house sound" -- I have no idea what this really means, even after you explained it. Please do not try to tell me that an ASL amp with feedback and SS rectification is going leap frog over ANY Cary piece. Something is seriously wrong here.

It's not necessary to listen to everything, but merely a sampling of the various circuit designs out there. The signature of the piece is primarily going to be carried by the circuit type.

The ASL is a nice piece, but for $900 you could have done better. Which reminds me. The last time I saw this amp, it came in around $750 new, and around $400 used.

I'm not 'pissing', I just know you can buy slightly used for almost half the price of new. I bought my Welborne Apollos for $1650, and those amps went new for $3400. I bought my AES AE-25 Superamp DJH for $1350, and that amp new sells for $2500. I bought a Bryston 3B-ST for $850, new, it went for almost $2000. With the deals floating out there at Audiogon, it just pains me to see someone shelling out that kind of money for a run of the mill push-pull.