Cheap Forum Amp by Captainbeefheart

MEH Synergy

11 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

He did have some health issues a while back, I think he’s ok now. I really don’t have a lot of information other than that. 

Any word on your amplifier? I believe you were first in line to receive one correct? 

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Any word yet? @Westcoastdrums is expecting an amplifier as well, wonder if he's heard from @captainbeefheart?  Hope he's doing OK? 

Hes doing fine. He states he is quite busy and hasn't had time for the forum. Shakey and I are both still waiting for our amps.  I think @michaelwjonesgot ahold of him.... I hope he will receive his tubes soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

OK....  As per your request @captainbeefheart can you give me the most nerded out details/specs of my amp so I know?  😏.   Thanks.  We have talked about the general, but would like to know as much as you will share here.   Thank you.  

This is the 300th anniversary of Nottingam, the Town from which I reside. Fireworks are starting soon and so leaving now, will give some details when I return. There is a blueberry pancake breakfast tomorrow morning also :D They are also doing revolutionary war reenactments in the up coming weeks. Leading off the celebration will be a cannon blast at 8am after which you are allowed to walk through both soldier encampments. Soldiers will be having breakfast, doing tactical practice, musket training, etc.. and then the battle begins!! Should be interesting. New Hampshire is wild.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2022 at 7:10 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

can you give me some details of my amp so I know?

You wanted power so you got it, I didn't want to go the parallel push pull route so I squeaked over 100 watts from two sweep tubes. At 100 watts THD is nearing 2%, but the plates start to get a little red pushing them this hard so I'm calling it a 70 watt amplifier since I don't see any redness at that power output. But you have plenty of reserve power for music reproduction which are typically short duration transients. So for music it pushing over 100 watts is fine but RMS sine wave testing makes the plates unhappy.

At 70 watts RMS no more than 1.5% THD  (1kHz)

Full Pentode operation

-10db feedback

All supplies are fully regulated via pass regulators

Vplate = 500v

Vscreen = 150v

preamp tubes  12AU7, x3

Balanced input

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1