Cheap Forum Amp by Captainbeefheart

MEH Synergy

• Moderators
59 minutes ago, Steve. said:

I know Pay Pal won’t help , but to electronically receive money for fraud over state lines is a felony,  see if you have any recourse  I hope you do. 

Is there a lesson to be learned from that? In other words, friends and family you, person who receives funds pays no fees. 

Is it better just to say on an unknown, hey, I won’t do friends and family, it will be regular PayPal, I will pay the 3%? Or is it a waste of time?

• Like 3

• Moderators
On 1/26/2023 at 9:14 AM, avguytx said:

@Travis In Austin   FYI....  The captain is over at Audiokarma posting now under the name "capbeefheart" in the tube audio section as of last night.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/kt77-worth-it.1020578/

I have made the Administrator aware so they can keep a look out, someone needs to post over there a very benign post, very polite, linking the ASR and Audiogon posts Shaky did.

Maybe, hey are you the same CBH as this guy? With the links.

9 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

Is there a lesson to be learned from that? In other words, friends and family you, person who receives funds pays no fees. 

Is it better just to say on an unknown, hey, I won’t do friends and family, it will be regular PayPal, I will pay the 3%? Or is it a waste of time?

I have done many, many transactions through the Klipsch Forum using friends and family. Never had a problem.

One bad character is now causing everyone else to look at paying extra fees, and is tarnishing the image of the forums.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steve. said:

would file a police report in his town for interstate commerce fraud via Pay Pal  

Local police would be for theft. You start putting fraud in there you substantially increase the chance that it gets kicked for being a civil suit. Paid for parts, cash sent to (address there) never received parts, repeated requests, parts or a refund, delay, delay. Gave deadline. Nothing.  

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

Local police would be for theft. You start putting fraud in there you substantially increase the chance that it gets kicked for being a civil suit. Paid for parts, cash sent to (address there) never received parts, repeated requests, parts or a refund, delay, delay. Gave deadline. Nothing.  

I'd take him to Judge Judy. Just have your documents in order and say nothing. I've watched her show enough to know how to win at this. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'd take him to Judge Judy. Just have your documents in order and say nothing. I've watched her show enough to know how to win at this. 

He seems like the kind of guy that would be on Judge Judy. I’m sorry, but from his first few arrogant posts on here, I thought he was a D-bag. Now it’s been confirmed. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Steve. said:

Unfortunately Rich got screwed too and again, it gives the hobby a bad reputation for custom builds 

I’m not understanding something, and it has me concerned. Not specifically in reply to Steve, just a number I have seen up to this point.

NosValves Craig is on here, sells amps. @RealMarkDeneen is on here, sold preamps and amps before he retired, Toolshed Matt had his amps with Klipsch products at major shows, how is CBH even being mentioned in same sentence as guys like those. All of them had/have websites, reviews in audio magazines (Juicy Music class A Stereophile, no advertising), and reviews on multiple audio forums. They all discussed their products on here, answered questions, shared a wealth of knowledge.

I don’t see the nature of this deal - seeing someone who appears to be quite knowledgeable who is building a cheap $200 to $300 parts cost amp with build thread and based on that members contact him to see if they will build them amps- as being remotely close to what Toolshed, Juicy Music, and others associated with this Forum do. 

Let’s not drag exemplary people/brands in the audio business and seek to compare that to a one on one transaction to have an amp built. Not only isn’t in the same ballpark, it isn’t on the same planet. 

That is kind of the whole premise of allowing this conversation about this particular transaction here. Protecting each other. 

• Like 1

When I ordered my amp I received an invoice that brought me to a secure site where I used my Visa and it literally showed up on my card within minutes.  

I did the same thing when I put a deposit on the preamp he is building me now.  He sent build photos with the amp and is putting the parts together now for the preamp 

I already have a level of trust and I know in a few months he will build me another amazing piece .

As far as friends and family goes, no thanks.  I rarely buy anything used that requires PayPal    I use Pay Pal to buy stuff like tubes and accessories, that’s pretty much it.   

I think if it was anything over $100 or so I would just eat the PayPal fee just to play it safe So in Shakey’s case $90 would have been cheap insurance 

What makes Captain Beefheart a real low life POS is that he used his wife’s PayPal account making her an accomplice to fraud.  Nice guy.   And he doesn’t have the b@lls to ask her for the money back I’m sure 

“Let’s not drag exemplary people/brands in the audio business and seek to compare that to a one on one transaction to have an amp built. Not only isn’t in the same ballpark, it isn’t on the same planet. 

That is kind of the whole premise of allowing this conversation about this particulartransaction here. Protecting each other”

I agree these comparisons aren’t apples to apples but unfortunately this hobby can cloud your judgement a little when you are daydreaming about a piece of gear you really want. 

Captain acted like he could build an amp that would be on par with amps two or three times the money so he deserves any backlash he gets 

His posts were narcissistic and condescending, his type is toxic to a great forum community 

• Thanks 1

Instead of pimping oneself about how great you are maybe its better to be quiet and let your work do the talking. Who know if CBH ever designed and actually built any amps let alone any SUPERIOR amps.

Sorry Shakey and WCD got scammed by CBH! 

IMG_2798 copy.jpg

IMG_4463.jpeg

30074-5140113-IMG_8087nik2.jpg

30074-6536554-IMG_2836_copy.jpg

B41A9948_copy.jpg

• Like 2

Craig and Mark would set up their customers with preamp and amps respectively, then their customers (also known forum members) would come on here and do all of the talking. It was so ridiculously and consistently good that I drove across three states to hear what they were all talking about. A number of us did similar.

Too bad I wasn't here when said subject was insinuating the build of equivalents for a third of the cost. Anyone who knew Mark and/or Craig's gear knew that was BS because I've run across very few who gave you so much sonic quality for the $$$ and anyone who has handled that stuff knows the same.

I realize that a manufacturer has to start somewhere but the lack of track record might have been a tipoff. Did CBH ever deliver a product to a member here successfully?

Just now, Audible Nectar said:

Too bad I wasn't here when said subject was insinuating the build of equivalents for a third of the cost.

IIRC, they were built for parts cost only, and one customer changed the design wanted more than once. Money was refunded to one customer (or did he not mention that). It's not his full time job. Great!

Still love my JMA Merlin.