Good amp for Chorus 1

Flevoman

On request, I have made my own post for this question. 

My brother bought my Chorus 1 speakers. He would like to buy a good matching amplifier. As music he plays a lot of rock, pop, electric instruments, metal.. But also (to a lesser extent) folk, acoustic, some jazz..

Now he may also want to take over my Dynaco ST70 (El34), but I wonder if this amplifier is the best choice for him. A tube amp appeals to him, but perhaps an SS amp is the better choice given his music taste.

So basically my first question is, given the music my brother likes to play., Do you recommend an SS amp or a tube amp.

And question two is,if he is going to buy a tube amplifier, is my Dynaco ST70 a good choice or he better should buy another type of amplifier with, for example, the kt88 tube. 

I'd love to hear your opinion.

OK... +2 for a SS amp 👍🏻

I still find it difficult to understand why a lot of Wattage is so important with a speaker with an efficiency of 101 DB /W. 

First of all, why is so many watt needed? 

And secondly, if that is the reason why you recommend an SS amp then I would think that a PP tubeamp with KT88 tubes is also sufficient. These tube amps do reach the 100w. 

Do you agree? 

5 hours ago, Flevoman said:

OK... +2 for a SS amp 👍🏻

I still find it difficult to understand why a lot of Wattage is so important with a speaker with an efficiency of 101 DB /W. 

First of all, why is so many watt needed? 

And secondly, if that is the reason why you recommend an SS amp then I would think that a PP tubeamp with KT88 tubes is also sufficient. These tube amps do reach the 100w. 

Do you agree? 

So I guess the main questions to determine adequate power is how big is the room? How far away is he seated from the speakers? and how loud does he listen to music? Obviously a 10x10 room sitting 6 feet away listening at 70db isn't going to need much, a 24x36 room sitting 18ft away listening at 90+ db will take much more.  

They sound great with low power at low volumes but if your brother likes to turn them up at all and really experience what those speakers are capable of he's going to need a nice 200 to 300 watt per channel SS amp to fire them puppies up and get them kicking. 

Thanks for the comments. 

Perhaps I should ask the question a little more clearly. 

I think his room is 5.5m x 6 m(His room is divided into two parts and this is the  size of his audio room) 

He is listening to metal for 50%..pop and electrical instruments 30%..focal,acoustic, jazz 20%

When he listened at my home to my set to some acoustic and jazz  (tube amp with 2A3 tubes+CW4) he was really impressed with the sound. But when we listened to some metal on my set it was clear that this was not the most ideal combination. 

Because he thought the tube sound sounded very nice, his preference is for a tube amp. 

But that is why it is perhaps better to first ask the question, is metal and a tube amp a good combination at all?

If this combination is by definition not ok then it is immediately clear that It has to be a SS amp. 

• Like 1

x3 or 4 on good quality SS amps.  ive talked with flevoman quite a bit about his system upgrades going from the chorus to his now CW4 & new fancy expensive tube amp... but along the way we discussed amps & possibly even subs when he had the chorus.  he found a cheap priced older onkyo integrated amp with 100 watts per channel & he liked some aspects of it but felt his upgraded recapped dynaco tube amp sounded better in other ways.  

so his experience with SS amps is limited to a 100w 30+ year old onkyo integrated, which is decent but more of a run of the mill mid fi 90s amp.  i mentioned a few other brands & that to make the chorus really come alive at higher volumes & harder rock/metal music they will benefit from a good quality 200 watt amp.  not that they will ever actually see that full 200 watts but having the reserve power or "headroom" makes a big difference over lower quality SS.  another spec to consider on higher quality SS amps is the damping factor, mid fi amps & receivers usually have around 60 DF, his onkyo states 100... adcom GFA 555ii has 800 & my rotel 990bx has 1000 damping factor rating.  higher power amps also usually have much better bass at low or high volumes.   

using a good pre amp helps a lot too, i think i recall he has a NAD pre,  for me, especially with some bigger klipsch models up loud, they can benefit from tone controls or an EQ to tailor certain freq to your liking,  up loud in a smaller room K-horns & other big 3 ways can get too hot in the midrange for my taste so a good pre with mid freq tone controls helps a lot, so does boosting the lower bass at lower volumes. 

i agree with the 200watts SS amp of good quality suggestions for anything but a very small room listening to lower volume softer music.  each system, room & person will like different things & you cant rule out an SS amp vs tube when the only SS amp listened to is a lower watt mid fi amp that is in unknown condition.   

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Flevoman said:

On request, I have made my own post for this question. 

My brother bought my Chorus 1 speakers. He would like to buy a good matching amplifier. As music he plays a lot of rock, pop, electric instruments, metal.. But also (to a lesser extent) folk, acoustic, some jazz..

Now he may also want to take over my Dynaco ST70 (El34), but I wonder if this amplifier is the best choice for him. A tube amp appeals to him, but perhaps an SS amp is the better choice given his music taste.

So basically my first question is, given the music my brother likes to play., Do you recommend an SS amp or a tube amp.

And question two is,if he is going to buy a tube amplifier, is my Dynaco ST70 a good choice or he better should buy another type of amplifier with, for example, the kt88 tube. 

I'd love to hear your opinion.

A solid state rectifier for your ST70 amp would be perfect for him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

You answered the question. Lots of watts. Solid State.

Sure some tube amps nice.

Metal says to me higher volume levels. The Chorus not only efficient, also has100- 1000 watt peaks.

Solid State...   

I’m inclined to agree given the room size and metal. While I run mine with the ChiFi amp mentioned above I ran them with an HK Citation 22 for a while. While 200 watts was way overkill for the space the dynamics are great. In that large of a room it’ll be amazing. I’d suggest a high current model. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Flevoman said:

OK I fall in the SS camp and use a Crown XLI 800. 200 watts per channel not because I need them but because that is what their smallest watt rating amp comes with in this particular line. I never considered nor used a tube amp after reading of all the expense and tinkering that seemed to go with them. That Crown runs $285 now and is dead quiet and plays any genre of music with great fidelity.  This is the consensus of the many visitors I have had here and not just my opinion. As an aside here with the minority  of my repeat visitors who have said they had cables or tube amps that would sound much better.  I have told them to bring it on and they never do. They come back to listen but somehow the miracle stuff never comes back with them. 

Regarding Chorus 1's. I keep the Crowns set at half output levels. I then use my PC sound card for further adjustment. I rarely go above 50% on the sound card volume and the Chorus speakers are plenty loud at that point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWOReilly said:

I’m inclined to agree given the room size and metal. While I run mine with the ChiFi amp mentioned above I ran them with an HK Citation 22 for a while. While 200 watts was way overkill for the space the dynamics are great. In that large of a room it’ll be amazing. I’d suggest a high current model. 

Agree...Like a  Carver...250 wpc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flevoman said:

Thank you all for your input (nice to hear you again @EpicKlipschFan)

That's clear.. No tube amp for my brother, better go for an SS amp. 👍🏻

nothing wrong with the Dynaco ST 70  Amp   for Rock and Live music  with a Chorus , although an SS amp  would be very well suited in the 100-200wpc range  for someone who likes to  blast his speakers ,

the ST-70  was pretty much a great  sounding amp when rock was king  ,  it will drive the Chorus 1 fine with 35wpc in Class A push pull ,and  for quality sound ,  yes,,,,,,,,all the way  .

• Like 1