Anyone using La Scala's with 2.5 -5 watt amps

JimMeader

12 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

I represent that too. Had a Phase 700 powering my Bozaks in the 70s...

Did you have a sub then?  Or had then been invented yet? 😁 

Let's see.  Rudy Bozak characterized the big Bozaks as 91 dB/2.83w/1m.  So did Stereophile.  Let's say that is essentially correct.  The 350 w.p.c. of your Phase Linear 700 should produce about 110 dB, about what is needed for an instantaneous  peak in the bass, through a Bozak Concert Grand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garyrc said:

Did you have a sub then?  Or had then been invented yet? 😁 

That's cold... Its true, but still cold.

No, subwoofers were not a retail item yet. I was selling audio equipment in the 70s and if you wanted bass, I'd move you into Voice of the Theaters or Valencias. Other than the VOTTs, I did not like any loudspeaker we sold. I auditioned several speakers at David Beatty Sound and it came down to 'horns or the Bozaks. 'horns were clearly better, but like the VOTTs, not practical  in my life at that time, so I got the Bozaks and happily moved them around for years.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A word to the wise concerning Bozak, they are wonderful drivers but delicate. Be careful not to send them a clipped signal or try to play them too loud. I have come across many many Bozak drivers with melted voice coils. They're getting harder to source nowadays too.

• Like 1

So it looks like the SET type amps will drive my speakers for normal listening without an issue, but become less capable beyond that. Given my room volume and 14 ft listening position I think more than 2.5 watts even with mono blocks will be needed for me

Decware has the Torii Jr V2 which I am on the LONG waiting list for. At 20 watts per channel it should be enough for my system and room. Since it is a push/pull design I will miss the true SET sound, but as Steve markets, it has "SET transparency"

As with all things there comes a point where you have to put a stake in the sand and move forward.

Thanks to all that provided their input

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JimMeader said:

Since it is a push/pull design I will miss the true SET sound, but as Steve markets, it has "SET transparency"

Have you considered the SE34i?

Never heard a p/p sound like a set and I know several Decware owners that agree. 😉

FWIW, YMMV, IMO/E, etc.

Ever check your listening levels with an SPL meter?

Edited by 82 Cornwalls

The Rachel was my first choice as a single amp.  Now two SE34.6 are out of my budget range, but would be, in my opinion, the best option for me.   A single SE341.6   is still 5-6 watts  which is just marginally better than the base units for my needs so not really a long term option.

The Torii Jr V2 is a solid 20 watts which should be more than enough  for my needs, just not a SET amp which was my original goal

Sometimes you have to compromise  and the Torii Jr V2 seems the best fir for me

You gain @ 5.3 dBs going from 6 to 20 watts.

I would recommend a Torii Jr over two SE34i.6s (they are no longer simple set amps when run mono).

At my normal listening levels I would probably be using 1/10th of a watt average with your speakers.

I understand people with little or no experience with single digit amplifiers preferring to err on the side of more.

Edited by 82 Cornwalls

On 6/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, JimMeader said:

Looking at the Alan Eaton and Decware SET amps

anyone using them with La Scala's

my room is 17X20 with rounded ceilings reaching 14 feet at the top , so high cubic volume

Listening position is 12 feet from speakers

Your comments would be greatly appreciated

You could try with a low power class D amp, like the first T-amp, a Trends TA10, or something... if it doesn't work with one of those, you won't have enough volume with the SET.

To the OP, while my room is smaller than your and I have Khorns in an all active system I have used a 45 type amp for over 10 years from 11 feet away and it would run me out of the room easily!!! I also have a Decware SE84UFO and I had to turn it down 7.5db to achieve the same levels as the Korneff 45 amp.

Now I have a 71a SET amp that is 3/4 of a watt that's right about 750mw per channel and it will run me out of the room also!!!

• Like 2

Wow jcmusic   less than 1 watt.  I want to be there but I have no experience with anything close to that level amp power being effective.

My La Scala's were originally designed as PA speakers where 5 watts were typical, my 87's may have had some changes but were still a PA loud speaker at that time. I happen to like the horn sound and its ability to fill a room with sound.  I also believe that half of what you hear is speaker placement and the room they are in. Also the La Scala's were designed for vocals ( speeches ) base was not a major need, so use a sub and get over the lack of base.

All this tells me a low watt  ( 5 watts ) amp can work, but the at the same time Klipsch rates this speaker for use with over 100 watts.

The concept of trying a $1-3,000 or more amp and then resell it if I do not like it - is not me. Because of all of the above and the lack of my experience of low watt apps all of your comments are very much appreciated

Like I said before the Decware Torii Jr V2 remains my amp of choice

Hi Jim,

With Your speakers you will need subs to use a real low powered amp and achieve good SQ, maybe look for a used low powered amp cheaper and go from there. If you want to really reach the pinicle of SQ with your speakers get a good DSP and go all active you will never look back!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JimMeader said:

........, but the at the same time Klipsch rates this speaker for use with over 100 watts.

☺️ My suv's tires are speed rated to 130 MPH, not ever going to dive it anywhere close to that.  ☺️

Just joking with you. 😉

What number are you on the waiting list?

Half a Watt is screaming

1/100 W is normal listening

The question is at loud listening,

What does a piano strike, gun shot or cymbal drive the amp up to ?

If clipping destroys the tweeters

Does 5 W exceed the demand of the above ?

A drum set and cymbals is on average 119dB but can range between 90 and 130dB (decibels) depending on what instruments are being played.

I also took measurements at varying distances (at the drummer’s ears, 5 feet and 20 feet) from the drum kit, which helps to illustrate the concept laid out in the Decibels section of this article:

Volume At Ears 5 Feet 20 Feet
Soft 105 dB 99 dB 91 dB
Medium 115 dB 109 dB 98 dB
Hard Hitter 125 dB 120 dB 111 dB
Hard w/ rimshots 130 dB 125 dB 118 dB
AVERAGE: 119 dB 113 dB 105 dB

One thing of interest here is that the results don’t always align perfectly with the rule of a 6dB drop for every doubling of distance. This is largely because of various acoustic factors at play.

Good read

https://pickmydrumset.com/how-many-decibels-db-loud-is-a-drum-set-and-cymbals/

Borrowed from garyrc

wts         SPL

1             95 dB

2             98 dB

4            101 dB (might deliver dynamic peaks as high as 104 dB--some risk of clipping)

8            104 dB

16          107 dB

32          110 dB

64          113 dB

128         116 dB

If you can afford the 5W Decware Amp

you can afford replacement tweeters

Buy the amp, and if you start blowing out tweeters,

either turn it down, or get a 30W tube amp

Lots of class A that measure well, and keep you warm in the long winters

Pair of the beloved MC-30 Class B mono blocks, would be my sentimental Fav.....