Turning Klipsch KP-362 into "home speakers"

avguytx

I'm just doing some pondering as I do way too often these days.  Say a person got ahold of some KP-362's with "challenged" cabinets and this person might potentially build some Cornwall/Chorus II-ish style cabinets for them.  Do these more industrial type speakers, with their K-48-KP woofers, have the ability to dig any lower than their rated Frequency Response of (3 Meters, 1/2 space Anechoic) 45 to 20,000 Hz +/- 3dB (-10dB @ 36Hz) would have you believe?  Yes, I know they are designed for a whole 'nother style of space than home but I'm wondering how they might pan out. 

Would there be any reason to think they could do anything better than my pair of CF-3 v1's?  In past comparison, I kept a pair of CF-3 v3's over a set of KLF-30's and '78 Cornwall's with new caps & tweeters all compared in the same room at the same time with the same sources and same music.  But, these are also seemingly more like a cross of Cornwall II's and Cornwall IV's in that they have a larger mid horn combo (KP792 Tractrix w/K-66-E) and the K-792-KP tweeter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Say a person got ahold of some KP-362's with "challenged" cabinets and this person might potentially build some Cornwall-ish style cabinets for them.  Do these more industrial type speakers, with their K-48-KP woofers, have the ability to dig any lower than their rated Frequency Response of (3 Meters, 1/2 space Anechoic) 45 to 20,000 Hz +/- 3dB (-10dB @ 36Hz) would have you believe?

But, these are also seemingly more like a cross of Cornwall II's and Cornwall IV's in that they have a larger mid horn combo (KP792 Tractrix w/K-66-E) and the K-792-KP tweeter.

Yes, same woofers as in the Chorus models 4.5 cu ft with dual 7" long 4" ports gets you to roughly Chorus II rating, maybe a little lower at 39hz. 

I believe its the k-604 mid horn (k-792 is the tweeter) which is the same as the Quartet, forte II and Chorus II but with a threaded insert driver mount. I have the KP-301-II's which is exactly what you're describing I replaced the mid drivers with A55-g's, tweeters with DPHL and de-120 drivers and the crossovers with Crites rebuilt Chorus II's and now they are one of my favorite speakers. 

• Like 1

@jjptkd  I do remember your thread on those from a couple years back.  I would definitely have to make new cabinets as these are in the "trapezoid" style and rear ported which won't work for my room.  Building a set of cabinets is not a problem but is definitely a more added expense for wood in the times we are in.  lol.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, avguytx said:

I would definitely have to make new cabinets as these are in the "trapezoid" style and rear ported which won't work for my room.  Building a set of cabinets is not a problem but is definitely a more added expense for wood in the times we are in.  lol.

I had a set of custom 362's awhile back and was never too happy with the bass they needed a sub IMO that's why my 396's ended up in Chorus II cabinets. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I had a set of custom 362's awhile back and was never too happy with the bass they needed a sub IMO that's why my 396's ended up in Chorus II cabinets. 

I do run a Sunfire HRS-12 subwoofer with either the CF-3's or the ads L1230's.  I just gots to have that extra low end.  Lol 

I’ve had many of the klipsch pro line of speakers and subs,
I would not pay much attention to what the specs say on how low they will go. They will and can hit you with hard chest ponder power. Run it on REW with a Dayton mic and see just what they can do.
If you don’t have the mic, I loan mine out with a deposit on pp or Venmo. Just cover shipping cost
Message me if you need the help