Heresy vs Other High End Heritage Klipsch

GlennyC

Hello all. I have Heresy III speakers being driven by a B&K Reference 50 preamp and an Accuphase A30 amplifier. I also have a Sunfire True powered subwoofer with dual 12” woofers. This is not a question but a comment. I would like to see what people think. I have AB tested my set up against new La Scalas and find my Heresys to be quite satisfying. My premise is that all the additional size and expense of the large heritage speakers is to reproduce bass frequencies. I have great tweeters and midranges in my Heresys. Plus I have solved the low range frequency reproduction problems with an excellent powered subwoofer. There is no need for anything bigger main speaker wise at all. Save your money. I point to the new Jubilee as proof. They include dual 12” powered subwoofers. Save your money plus your wife/live in domestic partner will love you for not having to decorate around monsters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

I would like to see what people think. I have AB tested my set up against new La Scalas and find my Heresys to be quite satisfying. My premise is that all the additional size and expense of the large heritage speakers is to reproduce bass frequencies. There is no need for anything bigger main speaker wise at all. Save your money. Save your money plus your wife/live in domestic partner will love you for not having to decorate around monsters. 

I'd say consider yourself lucky some of us hear that big open midrange sound of the larger horn speakers and get more or less ruined on anything short of that. While I agree the La Scala are too big for me (even the Cornwall really) I have settled on Chorus style cabinetry for my speakers as a happy compromise.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bigger horns (midrange/bass), better sound is usually what people say when they compare the same/similar style speakers. 

I have listened to Heresy I's with a powered sub and they do sound great. However, LaScala I's with a powered sub sound better. Bigger midrange presentation, better midbass and bass until the subwoofer transition. Overall a more articulate sound. 

Glad you are happy with your speaker combo, it is all personal preference and compromise. I have an entire finished basement for my listening space, so I guess I am lucky and don't have to compromise too much. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm like CG the bigger the horn the better the sound. Especially when it comes to soundstage presentation. I have big soundstage at minimal volume. Something a smaller horn will not equal. Not to say the Heresy is not a great speaker vs cost and WAF. WAF is short for "wife acceptance factor"  for those that do not know but then most wives will consider a Heresy as too big actually. The Heresy is a great compromise when you look at it that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, while I did experience a sonic difference with the new La Scalas compared to the Heresy III setup I have, I did not think the marginal difference was worth the cost (over $13,000 for the AL5s) and huge size. But thank you for pointing out that it is not just the bass but the midrange that needs to be considered. I am wondering… is there a midrange driver upgrade to the Heresy III speakers that is lowish in cost and simple to accomplish? Would crossovers need to be upgraded too? Would be nice if dropping in new midrange drivers could solve this. 

Not the driver but the size of the horn. You already have an excellent driver and great sounding speakers. You are correct in "marginal difference" but that is what audiophiles do. Spend lots more money for a little better sound. Most any speaker system will benefit from a sub including all the Heritage line. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, GlennyC said:

So, while I did experience a sonic difference with the new La Scalas compared to the Heresy III setup I have, I did not think the marginal difference was worth the cost (over $13,000 for the AL5s) and huge size. But thank you for pointing out that it is not just the bass but the midrange that needs to be considered. I am wondering… is there a midrange driver upgrade to the Heresy III speakers that is lowish in cost and simple to accomplish? Would crossovers need to be upgraded too? Would be nice if dropping in new midrange drivers could solve this. 

There are used LS that can be had, modded, upgraded, etc. for waaaaay less than 13k. Even newer B stock are on market used for 5-6. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on the feedback here I am shopping for Chorus IIs just to see what that project might cost. Maybe $1400 for original speakers plus rebuilt crossovers and drivers ($600?). Something to consider. I think Chorus IIs are about as big as the wife could handle (even though I pay all the bills I am considerate of WAF). 

• Like 1

When I was shopping for speakers, I went to a Klipsch Heritage dealer wanting to listen to Heresy IVs. My listening space is in a room with a volume of slightly over 6,000 cu. ft. and the dealer told me I would probably be underwhelmed with the Heresy in that space and moved me up to the Forte's. For me, they work great. But, I don't have a sub and probably won't. I'm also not one who is willing to spend tons of money to get small improvements. I'm more the bang-for-the-buck person. Fortunately, my wife really likes the Fortes too.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Based on the feedback here I am shopping for Chorus IIs just to see what that project might cost. Maybe $1400 for original speakers plus rebuilt crossovers and drivers ($600?). Something to consider. I think Chorus IIs are about as big as the wife could handle (even though I pay all the bills I am considerate of WAF). 

With Chorus II you probably won’t need drivers unless one is bad. Maybe rebuild crossovers. Forte would be a bit smaller. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Chorus II is a good choice. I had a hot rodded Heresy pair and a Chorus II pair, also hot rodded. Bigger is definitely better in this instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Another Economic discussion... not an audio discussion.

We should talk about cables and interconnects also.

Why does this bother you so much? Are those of us with limited resources unworthy to enjoy this hobby?

I'm sorry for being snarky, but I really don't understand why you feel the need to make this comment whenever people mention costs vs. benefits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GlennyC said:

I have Heresy III speakers being driven by a B&K Reference 50 preamp and an Accuphase A30 amplifier. I also have a Sunfire True powered subwoofer with dual 12” woofers.

I once had a pair of Heresy III and a pair of Klipsch KW-120 (12" subs). They sounded really good together. My system has evolved since then because I like playing with big toys, but if you and the wife are happy with what you have, then you are in a good situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, GlennyC said:

Hello all. I have Heresy III speakers being driven by a B&K Reference 50 preamp and an Accuphase A30 amplifier. I also have a Sunfire True powered subwoofer with dual 12” woofers. This is not a question but a comment. I would like to see what people think. I have AB tested my set up against new La Scalas and find my Heresys to be quite satisfying. My premise is that all the additional size and expense of the large heritage speakers is to reproduce bass frequencies. I have great tweeters and midranges in my Heresys. Plus I have solved the low range frequency reproduction problems with an excellent powered subwoofer. There is no need for anything bigger main speaker wise at all. Save your money. I point to the new Jubilee as proof. They include dual 12” powered subwoofers. Save your money plus your wife/live in domestic partner will love you for not having to decorate around monsters. 

Yes different strokes for different folks. Yes keep the peace. Really liked my home cooking and occasional sewing.

Reward was a kiss and love.

When I rule the world, going to put a Jubilee in every home.

Just hide and watch... Welcome!👀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CWelsh said:

Why does this bother you so much? Are those of us with limited resources unworthy to enjoy this hobby?

I'm sorry for being snarky, but I really don't understand why you feel the need to make this comment whenever people mention costs vs. benefits.

It's just the way he is... not the first time to interject his view of an economics into an audio discussion.

Maybe the original post was about audio, then it migrated to price versus benefit. Who cares? It is a discussion. if you don't have something positive to add, troll somewhere else. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CWelsh said:

Don’t be sorry, it’s the same old bullshit.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with Heresy , I love mine , but Lascala in a decent room ,offers  huge powerful sound  with tremendous impact and presence.The Heresy, while a fine speaker , isn’t really in the same league with the Mighty Klipsch Lascala  . IMO 🤓

• Like 3