Klipsch Forte ii and Decware amplifier

Klipsch104db

I finished refurbishing a pair of 1996 Forte ii I picked up from Craigslist for $480. Rebuilt crites crossovers and added Dynamat sound dampening material to the midrange horns, tweeters, and on the insides. They were painted black and I stripped off the black paint. Sanded and oiled them. I'm driving them with a Decware Zen 2watt amplifier. Using a Bluesound Node 2i for streaming. I am blown away by the rich full bass. They almost sound better than my 1990 La Scalas! 

20220522_120806.jpg

Edited by Klipsch104db
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Klipsch104db said:

They are only a few inches pulled out from the wall and sound great! I believe the dynamat I put inside the cabinets made a big difference in the bass. 

Well good job on the fortes.

See now they are pulled out just a little. 6 to 12+ inches typically... Cool!

1 minute ago, billybob said:

No I am solid state. Did have a bass guitar tube amp long ago.

I switched over to tubes about 6 years ago. I was using my 2watt decware to power my La Scalas. Then 2 1/2 years ago I replaced the decware with 25watt Quicksilver horn mono amps. Love em!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Klipsch104db said:

I switched over to tubes about 6 years ago. I was using my 2watt decware to power my La Scalas. Then 2 1/2 years ago I replaced the decware with 25watt Quicksilver horn mono amps. Love em!!

Have heard and read good things about both. Will try tubes one day.

• Like 1

Just now, Klipsch104db said:

What type of music do you listen to?

Just about everything you can think of except maybe the very newest. Classical, rock, blues,  boogie, soundtracks, jazz, new wave, etc...real country.

3 minutes ago, billybob said:

Just about everything you can think of except maybe the very newest. Classical, rock, blues,  boogie, soundtracks, jazz, new wave, etc...real country.

I listen to everything from Mozart to Metallica. Classical, jazz, and blues sound excellent through tubes. When playing hard rock or heavy metal solid state to me seems to sound better. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Klipsch104db said:

I listen to everything from Mozart to Metallica. Classical, jazz, and blues sound excellent through tubes. When playing hard rock or heavy metal solid state to me seems to sound better. 

Bet it does sound good. Yes I tend to listen at higher volume

than some. Enter the Chorus I happened to realize in lieu of pay at a home theater retail, and I was ecstatic. When I said rock, could include some metal.

Hard rock... DP, Johnny W, Blue Cheer, Beck...it was mostly records then for me. And spinning now.

6 minutes ago, billybob said:

Bet it does sound good. Yes I tend to listen at higher volume

than some. Enter the Chorus I happened to realize in lieu of pay at a home theater retail, and I was ecstatic. When I said rock, could include some metal.

Hard rock... DP, Johnny W, Blue Cheer, Beck...it was mostly records then for me. And spinning now.

I was using 2 hafler 9270 ss amps bridged in mono putting out I believe 400watts per channel with my La Scalas years ago. I think it was pumping out 120+ decibels!!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Klipsch104db said:

I was using 2 hafler 9270 ss amps bridged in mono putting out I believe 400watts per channel with my La Scalas years ago. I think it was pumping out 120+ decibels!!

Really liked my 84 LaScalas. Came close to getting some Hafler a time or 2. Carver 250 wpc at the time. Cool...