Klipsch Forte ii and Decware amplifier

Klipsch104db

2 minutes ago, Klipsch104db said:

If you see a hafler transnova, clean, and a good price give it a shot. I ran into a guy that had one hooked up to Heresys and it sounded great! 

Cool... I will remember. My Heresy sounds good with SS.

1 hour ago, Klipsch104db said:

I was using 2 hafler 9270 ss amps bridged in mono putting out I believe 400watts per channel with my La Scalas years ago. I think it was pumping out 120+ decibels!!

did you ever fry tweeters or mids along the way ,  I did , the voice coil of the k55V was in fragments -

14 hours ago, Klipsch104db said:

I switched over to tubes about 6 years ago. I was using my 2watt decware to power my La Scalas. Then 2 1/2 years ago I replaced the decware with 25watt Quicksilver horn mono amps. Love em!!

Any notes or thoughts on the Decware vs the horn monos?  I'm interested in both.  I was also looking at the Decware integrated amp which ups it to 6w for a couple hundred more 

On 6/13/2022 at 5:27 AM, Klipsch104db said:

I used both on my La Scalas. I like the Quicksilver better. 25watt vs 2watt. And I can roll in tubes like kt88 and 6l6. It comes with el34. Last time I checked the horn monos were $1495. Same as I paid a few years ago. And I read decwares wait list is extremely long.

Just curious. Were there any particular sound characteristics that stood out that lead to that conclusion other than power?

On 6/13/2022 at 8:12 AM, amheck said:

Any notes or thoughts on the Decware vs the horn monos?  I'm interested in both.  I was also looking at the Decware integrated amp which ups it to 6w for a couple hundred more 

I've never heard the horn monos, but I did own the Mid Monos a few years ago. They were very good amps that could drive more difficult loads. But overall sound quality I'd have to give to the Decware Torii. Extremely good with high eff. speakers, but not so good with lower to average efficiency.

On 6/12/2022 at 10:11 AM, billybob said:

Well good job on the fortes.

See now they are pulled out just a little. 6 to 12+ inches typically... Cool!

billybob, is there any particular sound characteristics you can describe with the Forte pulled from the wall vs closer as in the case of the original post OP? Thanks —-daniel 

On 6/12/2022 at 10:23 AM, billybob said:

Had forte and 2s briefly in my place. Chorus, LS, etc.

Now, H1s, CF-1, and a pair of Kpt-100.

Hope to replace LS and Chorus again. And even larger...

billybob, do you mean replace the Chorus and LaScala? With what?

On 6/11/2022 at 7:11 PM, Klipsch104db said:

I finished refurbishing a pair of 1996 Forte ii I picked up from Craigslist for $480. Rebuilt crites crossovers and added Dynamat sound dampening material to the midrange horns, tweeters, and on the insides. They were painted black and I stripped off the black paint. Sanded and oiled them. I'm driving them with a Decware Zen 2watt amplifier. Using a Bluesound Node 2i for streaming. I am blown away by the rich full bass. They almost sound better than my 1990 La Scalas! 

20220522_120806.jpg

Glad you’re enjoying it. It’s a great match. I recently sold my Zen after three years. 

Happy listening. —- daniel 

2 hours ago, Idontknow said:

billybob, is there any particular sound characteristics you can describe with the Forte pulled from the wall vs closer as in the case of the original post OP? Thanks —-daniel 

Yes usually they are pulled out from walls farther than the OPs pic. PR need a little distance from walls. 

2 hours ago, Idontknow said:

billybob, do you mean replace the Chorus and LaScala? With what?

Likely Industrial LaScalas because of member recc.

And looking like Chorus 3 by my schedule. Or KP-301s.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 6:38 AM, Shakeydeal said:

I've never heard the horn monos, but I did own the Mid Monos a few years ago. They were very good amps that could drive more difficult loads. But overall sound quality I'd have to give to the Decware Torii. Extremely good with high eff. speakers, but not so good with lower to average efficiency.

Never had the chance to respond in this thread, but recently I picked up a used pair of Quicksilver Horn monoblocks. I must say I am impressed. They are not perfect, but they are DEAD quiet. The silence is literally deafening. The Horns allow me to more easily discern subtleties in the music; listen deeper into the music, so to speak. The only other amp I have that is quieter costs 5x (and therefore should be stone cold silent). They are just a pleasure to listen to; more precisely to not listen to. 🙂

And they are "adjustable." Not so much tube rolling, but when I listen to the LSIIs, I use a KT88; the Harbeths get an EL34. Matching the amp to the speakers. With 25 watts a side, they are a realistic option for Heritage speaker (and some others). And when you re-tube, they only have a total of 2 signal tubes and 4 output tubes. That makes it more reasonable to get a better tube when you only need a pair as opposed to needing 8.  

Brand new they are $1800 and available now. They come up used as well for a discount. They get my stamp of approval (which with .99 gets you coffee at McDonalds).

• 2 months later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:18 PM, michaelwjones said:

Never had the chance to respond in this thread, but recently I picked up a used pair of Quicksilver Horn monoblocks. I must say I am impressed. They are not perfect, but they are DEAD quiet. The silence is literally deafening. The Horns allow me to more easily discern subtleties in the music; listen deeper into the music, so to speak. The only other amp I have that is quieter costs 5x (and therefore should be stone cold silent). They are just a pleasure to listen to; more precisely to not listen to. 🙂

And they are "adjustable." Not so much tube rolling, but when I listen to the LSIIs, I use a KT88; the Harbeths get an EL34. Matching the amp to the speakers. With 25 watts a side, they are a realistic option for Heritage speaker (and some others). And when you re-tube, they only have a total of 2 signal tubes and 4 output tubes. That makes it more reasonable to get a better tube when you only need a pair as opposed to needing 8.  

Brand new they are $1800 and available now. They come up used as well for a discount. They get my stamp of approval (which with .99 gets you coffee at McDonalds).

I have a primaluna evo 400 paired with my cornwall iv now.

It sounds pretty good but i feel like its too much power for the cornwall and I do have a slight hum / buzz that seems to be inevitable with that much power and sensitive speakers.

I compared it to my anaview ams1000 class d amp and the primaluna has more depth, more saturated midrange but less low end than the class d. Both are good honestly. I like a good mix of punch and 3D-ness.

Anyway, the quicksilver horn mono amp grabbed my attention, I'd really like a similar sound to the primaluna but with less noise and less volume so I can turn up my preamp more.

I like the triode mode on the primanula but mostly for jazz, which is not what i listen to the most, I'm more into John Mayer kind of stuff or indie alternative type of music, I like a wide range of stuff and the ultralinear mode works on more material.

The maker of the quicksilver told me its an ultra linear design and that he uses his with cornwall too so thats reassuring.

Do you think I would like the horn mono amp with the type of music I like.

12 hours ago, fourdogslong said:

Do you think I would like the horn mono amp with the type of music I like.

Yes; I listen to everything (except metal) and the Horns perform well on all genres. Its the absolute lack of background noise that make them so satisfying to me. I run them on my LaScala IIs and when placing my ear within an inch of the speaker there is no sound whatsoever. 

For Heritage speakers, I stand by everything in my previous post. They are a great value even a full retail.