Klipsch Forte ii and Decware amplifier

Klipsch104db

I'm using the QuickSilver Mid Monos with KT150s, and the QuickSilver remote control preamp, all with vintage La Scalas. Very satisfying. When I changed the power cables to Maze Audio Ref4s, I began to understand what 'dead quiet' means in audio. It's actually quite emotional.

3 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

Yes; I listen to everything (except metal) and the Horns perform well on all genres. Its the absolute lack of background noise that make them so satisfying to me. I run them on my LaScala IIs and when placing my ear within an inch of the speaker there is no sound whatsoever. 

For Heritage speakers, I stand by everything in my previous post. They are a great value even a full retail.

Thanks for your opinion!

It's pretty tempting to try them with the 10 day return period but it doesn't cover shipping fees and it's quite expensive to have it shipped to Canada. I'd lose about 400$ if I return them...

I also have this mental blockage that tells me the primaluna I already own is worth a lot $ and considered to be worth even more than its price, while the QS is a lot cheaper, might have less of an ownership proudness, its a pretty dumb way of thinking I know lol

Anyway, how's tube life with the horn mono, how 's reliability / maintenance?

Primaluna makes a pretty big deal about it but I wonder how much of it is marketing. I talked to their service by email and their answers were so minimal they were pretty much useless, they wouldn't give me an explanation of what tube does what even though I asked multiple times, that disappointed me quite a bit. 

So the more simple Horn Mono Amp is appealing because it looks more easy to repair and has a lot less tubes in them. 6 instead of 14, quite cheaper to retube!

But the sound has to be on par, that's still my priority.

I could shorten my speaker quite a lot with the Horn Mono, that might put them at an advantage...

Lots to think about!

2 hours ago, pcbiz said:

I'm using the QuickSilver Mid Monos with KT150s, and the QuickSilver remote control preamp, all with vintage La Scalas. Very satisfying. When I changed the power cables to Maze Audio Ref4s, I began to understand what 'dead quiet' means in audio. It's actually quite emotional.

Have you heard a PrimaLuna before, or something else to compare to the Horn Mono?

Also, can these go loud without efforts?

11 minutes ago, fourdogslong said:

Have you heard a PrimaLuna before, or something else to compare to the Horn Mono?

Also, can these go loud without efforts?

Yes, they can go very loud with full clarity. Haven't heard a PrimaLuna, but I've had other amps. You will probably start collecting a few amps, so you're better off just starting with the best. You'll save time and money that way.

5 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

Yes, they can go very loud with full clarity. Haven't heard a PrimaLuna, but I've had other amps. You will probably start collecting a few amps, so you're better off just starting with the best. You'll save time and money that way.

The best being the EVO 400 power amp I already own or the Quicksilver? 🤔

16 minutes ago, fourdogslong said:

The best being the EVO 400 power amp I already own or the Quicksilver? 🤔

Your EVO is definitely among the best. You can try the QuickSilver monoblocks to see how you like them. That's really the only way to tell. You might also try a quiet cable for your EVO 400, like the Maze Audio that I've been using. They definitely put a hush on the noise floor. 

1 hour ago, fourdogslong said:

Anyway, how's tube life with the horn mono, how 's reliability / maintenance?

Not sure, but QuickSilver has been around since 1981, far longer than PrimaLuna. I don't recall reading either is hard on tubes or prone to reliability issues.

The key to the Horn amps is they were designed specifically for very high efficiency horn loudspeakers. They'll work in other applications, but horns are their target speakers.

31 minutes ago, pcbiz said:

Your EVO is definitely among the best. You can try the QuickSilver monoblocks to see how you like them. That's really the only way to tell. You might also try a quiet cable for your EVO 400, like the Maze Audio that I've been using. They definitely put a hush on the noise floor. 

Ill keep you cable suggestion in mind. I have a waudio cable coming from amazon because I needed a 10 foot one, if it makes no difference I might return it and try the one you suggested.

3 minutes ago, michaelwjones said:

Not sure, but QuickSilver has been around since 1981, far longer than PrimaLuna. I don't recall reading either is hard on tubes or prone to reliability issues.

The key to the Horn amps is they were designed specifically for very high efficiency horn loudspeakers. They'll work in other applications, but horns are their target speakers.

Yeah that's the appeal. I just need to decide if I'm willing to drop 400$ just to satisfy my curiosity 😯