Record Cleaning aka "Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records"

michaelwjones

This is why I stopped playing vinyl decades ago:

"Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records"

https://thevinylpress.com/precision-aqueous-cleaning-of-vinyl-records/

190 pages (!) on how to clean your records. Holy smokes; I thought I was doing a very good job when I had a VPI record cleaner, a zerostat and rice paper sleeves. Sorry, that's time I can be listening to digital sources with no wear or clicks & pops.

And yes, there is an ever growing thread on Audiogon discussing this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• michaelwjones changed the title to Record Cleaning aka "Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records"
16 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

This is why I stopped playing vinyl decades ago:

"Precision Aqueous Cleaning of Vinyl Records"

https://thevinylpress.com/precision-aqueous-cleaning-of-vinyl-records/

190 pages (!) on how to clean your records. Holy smokes; I thought I was doing a very good job when I had a VPI record cleaner, a zerostat and rice paper sleeves. Sorry, that's time I can be listening to digital sources with no wear or clicks & pops.

And yes, there is an ever growing thread on Audiogon discussing this.

buy a puffin phono pre and you´ll never hear any crackles and pops , so simple today ....

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 2:39 PM, MicroMara said:

buy a puffin phono pre and you´ll never hear any crackles and pops , so simple today ....

And I only have one stylus to protect what about your precious collection of styli ? B)

5 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

And I only have one stylus to protect what about your precious collection of styli ? B)

I clean the styli with an Audio Technica cleaning fluid, that´s it . From all Cartridges I own only two have a needle that run more than 150 hours  , all others are brand new . I changed them within the last few month step by step. Some of them weren´t easy to get. Since I own a Nitty Gritty RCM there isn´t any need for a puffin to prevent crackles and pops at all. If I use a bonded round needle , like the one from the ADC QLM MK III , than you don´t hear any crackles and pops even on the most scratched and dirtiest record at all . I could write an endless story about this topic , so I can understand @michaelwjones very well . But all these efforts are worth , there is no physical medium that´s so fascinating like spinning vinyl .

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

Doesn't that degrade the vinyl grooves?

No , it doesn´t go into the deepest groove of a record. Sorry John I meant a round needle grind like the  Denon 103 MC which has a round needle grind as well , that´s why it was used for broadcastings at Radiostations for many decades.

• Thanks 1