Psst, (mechanical?) Engineers and other crafty, ingenious folk...

Coytee

The ball may be deformed, but your barrel is in serious need of cleaning. Try this:

https://www.zoro.com/flex-hone-tool-bc214120ao-flex-hone-2250-572mm-bore-8-oal-120-grit-aluminum-oxide-ao-bc214120ao/i/G9933281/?recommended=true

You'll need to rig an 18" extension to chuck it into your drill, but after you hone the cylinder wall, vacuum it out, coat the walls with cutting oil (ensuring the ball is lubed as well), let it soak, and then try loading a primer and few grains of powder.

Then as we say in the south: hold my beer; what's the worst that could happen?

But seriously, that bore needs to be smoothed & descaled.

396389146_Hone-1.jpeg.0de8d0ca3e838a2a475114a1e919a338.jpeg

• Like 3

Yes that vinegar will hope it but, too bad no Dawn detergent added to help easing the ball.

Next time cannon empty, could move it down after slathering ball a bit and the barrel where it stopped before with axle grease. Going to want to clean and oil anyway after ball is out.

And out it must come.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Coming from Dad, my first priority is to preserve as much of this as I can.  It's been in family for a LONG time, I've no plans on getting rid of it so if this takes me 3 days or 3 years.... 

Did he serve with the Blues or Grays?

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Marvel said:

Did he serve with the Blues or Grays?

He missed WWII and served in the Coast Guard.  He was some form of radio operator if I recall....which is rather interesting given his lack of skills with almost anything electronic.

Is the touch hole open? if so rig a way to securely attach a garden hose and valve to regulate pressure. Then attach and slowly increase pressure to push the ball from the bore. That is after cleaning the crap from the bore. If you have municipal water 60 PSI should be available.

On a well and if I recall, PSI is set around 40 (been long time since I've tinkered with pressure tank or regulator)

I've not yet decided to punt, but today I bought some all-thread rod along with a 1/2" toggle bolt.  Needs a 5/8" bit so bought a bit too on premise that any bits I have are older and maybe not sharp.

Thing is, the ball is too far down to reach with drill bit.  I've got a 10" extension for my Milwaukee right angle drill but it fits a hexigon boring bit and this is round, designed to be clamped in a chuck.

So my (machinist) friend has a full shop.  I might go borrow a piece of stainess steel filler rod for welding.  He said it should be stiff and hold its shape (the items I've used to now have simply "un-bent" and come out)

Also, with this so deep, (the ball IS either deformed a bit or for some reason, looks to maybe have a flat spot on it)  So, there is a gap.  I'm thinking on trying to wiggle this piece of wire back there enough to get ball rolling to "my side" of it's five inch range.  From there look at my options of drilling a hole into it.  If I can drill it there, I'll have back space to let the toggle bolt go through and spring open. 

Personally, I'm expecting the toggle bolt to give out before the ball moves.  What I WANTED was a form of concrete anchor but the only one I found would likely just rotate in the hole without expanding.  So I'll try the toggle first and see what happens from there.

Wife has on her project, two coats of paint in the new mud room, start installing trim around windows, crown moulding....  so she's got a line of things to do oblivious that I've got something I want to get done and therein is one of the reasons this will go slow.

Beginning to think the ball is deformed.  It has what clearly appears to be a flat spot on it.

Helped the wife with several of her projects today, at the end of day, decided I wanted to tinker and I'm about over trying to save this darn ball.  What do I have....begin looking around.

I bought a bit and some toggle bolts the other day, then I found a bit I had that was roughly 5/8 but more important, maybe 12/15" long...  started looking for my extension, and when I found it, noticed it had a wood boring bit.

So, I've got a wood boring bit (the kind that pulls itself into the wood)  Milwaukee 1/2" right angle drill and an extension that just happens to let all this work.

Hmmm...can the pointed bit 'catch' the ball?  YEP!  Can it drill into it and can the auger part drill into it?  YEP!!  Now I'm getting excited.

The ball at one point, rotated WITH the bit.  So the ball was rotating in the bore.  I'm feeling this is good as it's not bound.  So I start pulling the bit out.  I get shavings crawling up the extension then bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and nothing, no force against the torque...  it's like the bit snapped?

Nope.

Turns out the bolt that holds the chuck on, snapped so the drill was moving but the chuck wasn't.

The ball is still stuck in the bore BUT it's much closer to the exit.  It's gotta be close enough that once I get this chuck fixed, I'll probably be able to finish the hole and then I'm thinking take a sawzall to weaken it up and possibly cut it into quarters or maybe half.

We'll see but tomorrow, I have to order the bolt to fix this (happens to be a left handed thread to boot)

DSCN8082.JPG

DSCN8088.JPG

DSCN8083.JPG

• Like 2