Mismatched Subs

RocketFoot

I am thinking about getting a new R-12SW front firing sub to add to my current down firing KSW12 sub.  I would hook it up with a Y adapter from my Yamaha RX-V385.  My question is...would these 2 mismatched subs work together well or would it be sketchy?  I figure that I can dial each sub in from the back panels once I get the AVR settings good, but I'd like to hear from some of you guys that know way more than me!

Edited by RocketFoot

Others would know more and may be able to give guidance about how to dial in mismatched subs, but --- depending on how demanding you are --- it's likely to take quite a bit of work. Dialing in matched subs is much easier.

Were I in your place, I'd go with matching subs. Is there a reason why you don't want to get another KSW12?

Since you're only looking at 2 subs, REW will be sufficient to set them up; you shouldn't need MSO. You may find that you end up needing/wanting something like a MiniDSP 2x4HD.

I spent a lot of time setting up the two subs in my 2.2 system. I found that Yamaha's YPAO was no help, and actually made things worse. I spent a lot of time on REW determining placement, assessing the effect of different room treatments, and then configuring the two subs. I wasn't able to get satisfactory results until I added a MiniDSP 2x4HD. YMMV.

I found a series of videos by Jeff Mery and others by Marcel Schechter on Youtube to have been very helpful in setting up my subs.

19 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

I don't have a lot of room...they are going to go on either side of the TV stand inside of the towers.

If you have full sized towers I think you'll have an easier time blending them in as long as you're not crossing them over too high If you were running bookshelf type speakers and using the subs in stereo I would not recommend it. I have run mis-matched subs plenty of times over the years with my Chorus II's and never suffered any negative effects although there has been a number of times where one sub just seems to over power the other making it obsolete. 

I once picked up a pair of the Ultra-2 THX subs with the intention of replacing my RSW-15, ended up running all three and wow what an experience! All of those subs with my Chorus II's would literally blur your vision it was pretty cool and a nice party trick. 

I would go with another KSW but I haven't been able to find any NOS or good deals on used plus the fact that it is hard to trust a used speaker!  I have 610F towers...the bass from them is OK but not stellar.  In my mind, (which can be a dangerous place) I imagined that the down firing sub would drop more of a muddy LFE bass while a front firing sub will produce that in your chest pounding base...complimenting each other!  I guess we'll find out!  As soon as I get the new sub, I'll report back!

My kids surprised me with an R-12SW for Father's Day!  Bad new is that there are no RCA Y-Adapters at Wal-Mart and I can't find any in my box of cables!  Had to order on Amazon but won't be here until Tuesday!!  I ordered 2 new 8 foot sub cables as well.  Now I can't wait to hook this bad boy up and see what happens!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketFoot said:

My kids surprised me with an R-12SW for Father's Day!  Bad new is that there are no RCA Y-Adapters at Wal-Mart and I can't find any in my box of cables!  Had to order on Amazon but won't be here until Tuesday!!  I ordered 2 new 8 foot sub cables as well.  Now I can't wait to hook this bad boy up and see what happens!

That was really nice of them.  However, you're mixing a down-firing ported sub with a front-firing sealed sub.  Anyone versed in subwoofer integration will tell you to never mix a ported and sealed sub.  They just don't blend together.  Best thing to do is put your KSW-12 up for sale and get a second R-12SW.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

That was really nice of them.  However, you're mixing a down-firing ported sub with a front-firing sealed sub.  Anyone versed in subwoofer integration will tell you to never mix a ported and sealed sub.  They just don't blend together.  Best thing to do is put your KSW-12 up for sale and get a second R-12SW.

Both subs are ported...both of them have ports on the rear panel.

1 minute ago, RocketFoot said:

Both subs are ported...both of them have ports on the rear panel.

Every room and situation is going to be different, sometimes dramatically so. You already have them give them a whirl play with settings and positioning which could take some time, days even or if you're lucky set and forget I'm sure you'll make it work congrats on the new sub.

• Like 1

I pulled the spec sheets on both subs and they are surprisingly similar!  Freq range is close...

R-12SW

FREQUENCY RESPONSE 29Hz-120Hz +/-3dB
MAXIMUM ACOUSTIC OUTPUT 116dB
AMPLIFIER All digital
AMPLIFIER POWER 200W / 400W
DRIVE COMPONENTS 12" (30.5 cm) high excursion, IMG, front-firing woofer
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL MDF
ENCLOSURE TYPE Bass Reflex
INPUTS Line level/LFE RCA jacks
HEIGHT 16" / 40.64 cm (16.5" with feet)
WIDTH 14" / 35.56 cm
DEPTH 18.5" / 47 cm (19.2" with grille)
WEIGHT 33 lbs (15 kg)
FINISH Brushed Black Polymer Veneer
BUILT FROM 2014
FEATURES Volume, Lowpass, Phase, Auto Power
PHASE Switchable 0-180 degrees

KSW 12
Type: 12" bass reflex, tuned port enclosure
Amplifier: Peak output power 441 watts into 4 ohms
FTC Rated Power: 105 watts continuous into 4 ohms,
22-100Hz @ 1% THD maximum
Auto Power On: 2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay
Frequency Response: 26-120Hz±3dB
Maximum Acoustic Output: 113dB 1/8 space 1 meter
Low Pass Crossover: Continuously variable from 40-120Hz,
24dB/octave slope above 120Hz
Inputs: 2) Line level RCA phono jacks, 2) High level speaker
terminals
Outputs: 2) High level speaker terminals, High pass filtered
at 100Hz, 6dB/octave slope
Phase: Switchable 0-180 degrees
Drive Component: K-1071-K 12" (30.5cm) driver
Net Weight: 35 lbs. (15.9kg)
Height: 17" (43.18cm)
Width: 15" (38.1cm)
Depth: 15" (38.1cm)
Cabinet: Medium density fiber board construction (MDF)
Finish: Matte finish black vinyl
Voltage: 110/120 VAC 60 Hz - Export Version 230
VAC 50/60Hz

Edited by RocketFoot

7 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Every room and situation is going to be different, sometimes dramatically so. You already have them give them a whirl play with settings and positioning which could take some time, days even or if you're lucky set and forget I'm sure you'll make it work congrats on the new sub.

Yes, no harm in trying it out!  Worst case, I'll pick up another R12SW

• Like 1

Well guys!  I bagged a set of Mediabridge sub cables and a Y-Adapter and hooked the second sub up lastnight!  Maybe my ears aren't as fine tuned as some of yours but it sounded fantastic!!  The bass engulfs the whole room and still pounds you right in the chest!  Still has plenty of mid and treble for crisp highs and vocal/movie dialog!  I am hooked and a lifetime Klipsch fan! 

• Like 1