My Favorite Receivers And Why

ka7niq

I have had literally every kind and type of high end 2 channel preamps in my 45 year audiophile career. Now, I use a receiver with pre amp outputs! 

I have actually A/B this receiver with several high end 2 ch preamps with XLR's. I fail to hear ANY differences between RCA Cables and XLR.

I hear absolutely little if any difference between this receiver, and high end solid state preamps. Yes, there is a difference between the solid state receiver and my Tube Preamp, but that is because Tubes in general have a different sound than solid state!

I also have some stand alone DAC's, and also fail to hear any difference with the Burr Brown Dac's in this receiver.

The preamp outs on this receiver will easily drive ANY of my 11 different amplifiers, so much so that I had to actually go into the level settings of my little Ayima Class D Amp, and turn the level down because this receiver was actually overdriving it! 

There is a reason WHY this receiver, is my favorite, want to know what it is ?

And, I am sure many of you will want to know WHAT receiver it is too ?

I will give you a clue! Most of this  company's receiver has this feature, and never again will I be w/o it! 

In fact, I would not even CONSIDER buying a receiver, or any component w/o it!

LOL, and no, it sure as hell is not Audyssey :) 

15 minutes ago, the real Duke Spinner said:

You are not alone there 

may be some mid range detail missing

Butt how would you know ??  😀

I own several pairs of speakers Duke, including Eminent Technology LFT VIII,  Apogee Duetta Signatures, Magnepan 1.6, Altec Malibu 's,  and some huge Kindel Audio PLS 1 Speakers, some Tannoy's and my current darlings, these monster horns. I will post some pics of them. The big Kindel PLS 1 are not especially revealing, except for their imaging, that can be Holographic. However, most of my other speakers are quite revealing, allowing me to hear differences in equipment. The big Horns I have hooked up currently are the first ones from left, next are the white vintage pair of Altec Malibu's, Next are the Black Kindel PLS Line Sources, and finally my Eminent Technology LFT VIII on the right. The Apogee Duetta Signatures are the very last picture. 

00h0h_fePeG9WzpXPz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

altec malibu.jpg

kindel.jpg

269615374_4467296953368622_5024700081440172304_n (1).jpg

Apogee_Duetta_Signature.jpg

21 minutes ago, CWelsh said:

I would like to know.

Well, since you asked, it is a Yamaha Receiver, and the feature many Yamaha Receivers have is a remotely controlled Parametic Equalizer, that operates in the digital domain, so it is free of a lot of the bullshit inherent in an Analog Equalizer.

The particular Yamaha Receiver I have is an older Yamaha TSR 7810.

I remember sitting next to Mark Levinson at the Space Needle in Seattle back in 1981, we were all at Dinner.

I asked Mark Levinson what was the ultimate speaker you could walk in a dealer and buy, and he shocked the hell out of all of us when he said "Klipschorns, but only if they are equalized".

I know I will never be w/o a Parametric Equalizer again!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Recordings are all over the map with their mastering.

A “best of” compilation from several different albums will drive you mad (er).

Agreed, and if they sound spectacular, it is usually an accident! I have had some friends who did recordings, mixing, and mastering. They have all told me they were in business to sell recordings, not please audiophiles! In fact, a lot of oldies music was made to play in cars with AM Radios! They deliberately boost the highs, to make up for the poor frequency response of AM Radio, and some country music is designed to sound good to some trucker, with speakers in his kick panels! 

4 hours ago, ka7niq said:

I hear absolutely little if any difference between this receiver, and high end solid state preamps. 

Wow, not sure what to say except good for you! I have never owned a modern high end receiver but my experience with older models tell me there is a big difference between pre pros and receivers once I learned that this hobby really opened up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Wow, not sure what to say except good for you! I have never owned a modern high end receiver but my experience with older models tell me there is a big difference between pre pros and receivers once I learned that this hobby really opened up.

Agreed! Some older receivers were quite bad! But time marches on, and the better receivers of today are quite good. Case in Point, I had to go on disability, so I gave my business to my Son. My business makes a fair amount of money, so my Son just spent 3K on a brand new, balls to the walls Yamaha 11.2 receiver. It is a Beast! It weighs over 50 lbs. LOL, he spent all that money, because his old Denon top of the line receiver will not pass 4K at 120hz refresh rate!

My Boy just bought an 83 inch LG OLED TV, and him and my grandson play games, and 120 HZ refresh rate gives an advantage, if you have it. Here is a link to it https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/rx-a8a/index.html  it is very impressive. 

It has XLR's on the back, as if they really matter, but they  do look cool.

He is going to use the extra amplifiers to bi amp his front 3 speakers with, and sell his amp.

My Son has KEF Speakers that really really image, and this new Yamaha just eats his old top of the line Denon's Lunch.

AS I said, the KEF Speakers really image, and with this new Yamaha, they became even more 3 dimensional. 

• Like 1

A lot of people use things like a miniDSP to equalize their systems.  I use one but only for my subwoofers.  It's really nice having all the adjustments that a parametric equalizer brings to the table.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

A lot of people use things like a miniDSP to equalize their systems.  I use one but only for my subwoofers.  It's really nice having all the adjustments that a parametric equalizer brings to the table.

I am aware of these. I have a DBX DriveRack PA 2 I have been trying to get working for awhile. DBX is gonna fix it, under warranty.

But honestly, once I LEARNED how to use a Parametric Equalizer, my life changed! 

I have literally tried a zillion automatic room correction schemes, everything from the Trinnov Processor to full blown Audyssey, and the Yamaha YPAO, and the Pioneer Scheme, as well as Anthem Room Correction and you know what ?

My ears seem to be better than any of those I tried, so far. 

I am open to trying Mini DSP, I really am.

I use AudioTool 61-band RTA on my Moto/Lenovo devices w/pink noise to EQ any system, any room.

You opinionated devotees of commercial parochial EQ schemes that don't work should try my ideas.

Flatten 40-2000, roll off -3dB/octave above 2KHz, add Fletcher-Munson Loudness below 100dB.

Paul Klipsch got it, first guy to understand loudspeaker voicing for living rooms, not auditoriums.

loudness-and-pitch-5-638.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HiFi Heaven said:

I use AudioTool 61-band RTA on my Moto/Lenovo devices w/pink noise to EQ any system, any room.

You opinionated devotees of commercial parochial EQ schemes that don't work should try my ideas.

Flatten 40-2000, roll off -3dB/octave above 2KHz, add Fletcher-Munson Loudness below 100dB.

Paul Klipsch got it, first guy to understand loudspeaker voicing for living rooms, not auditoriums.

loudness-and-pitch-5-638.jpg

I agree that a downward sloping curve is best! 

4 hours ago, HiFi Heaven said:

Back to Favorite Receivers topic...

McIntosh MAC-4100 was amazing, fabulous in every way.

Maybe I can steal one here from you guys?  Hmmm...

I think you will need a crow bar to pry this unit from Dave @Dave1291

The best receiver I have heard so far is ( and I still own my unit ) 

JVC RX- DP10 

Although it’s an old classic model before digital

My favourite tuner receiver is the Sansui TU717 

And here it is in my system 

53-BB67-D1-6-D13-4-A94-B735-5-D696-FF1-C

Receivers might have a place in a gimmicky home theatre setting. That’s about it really.

You make the point about the thing weighing 50 lbs. You have 5,6,7 or more channels of amplification, a preamp, a processor, and a tuner in one box. So 50 lbs is impressive for all that? 

All I can say is enjoy if you think it sounds good. I’m sure it doesn’t sound terrible, but it just depends on what you are trying to achieve.

• Like 2