After searching for 4 years, finally.....

Kahuna

... I gave up. 😂

I wasn't quick enough on multiple occasions to catch a set of Khorns locally so I caved and bought myself a set of Cornwall Is which popped up. Externally they are in great original condition but the cane grills needing to be reapplied with fresh velcro due to some warping.

LG.jpeg

rg.jpeg

rf.jpeg

lf.jpeg

rc.jpeg

lc.jpeg

Edited by Kahuna
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

They look great and I have been enjoying the sound all week.

Today I decided to open them up and found evidence of some furries making themselves at home inside at some point. I guess those ports must look inviting to something that size. I have removed the worst of the damping and will replace the stuff on the shelf but am left wondering what to do about some of the stuff that is shredded on the sides. Can the forum sages please advise: do I trim the dangling bits and leave as-is, do I cut away sections and replace, matching whatever I replace in both speakers or do I strip it all out and replace?

LD1.jpeg

RearD1.jpeg

RD1.jpeg

LR1.jpeg

Edited by Kahuna
Spelling

11 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

They look great and I have been enjoying the sound all week.

Today I decided to open them up and found evidence of some furries making themselves at home inside at some point. I guess those ports must look inviting to something that size. I have removed the worst of the damping and will replace the stuff on the shelf but am left wondering what to do about some of the stuff that is shredded on the sides. Can the forum sages please avise: do I trim the dangling bits and leave as-is, do I cut away sections and replace, matching whatever I replace in both speakers or do I strip it all out and replace?

I would  take it all out ,   remove the drivers , then desinfect  the entire cabinet using  wet rags diluted with water /Dettol

• Like 1

I used gloves and shop vac to remove all the mess and then gave a liberal spray of aerosol lysol on all the porous surfaces. Hardly a deep clean but I am reluctant to tear out all the original damping because some of it is in decent condition and I would like to keep them as original as possible (but not at the expense of health or SQ).

What to do?

back.jpeg

Edited by Kahuna

42 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

How would you suggest going about that? Lay a damp towel over the cane?

nope , you cant , the masonite grille boards are toast -

the only thing you can do is , very gently remove the cane fabric   , wash it in a bath tub with WOOLITE ,  let it dry , if it's better ,re-use it , buy some masonite board and redo 2 backing boards by outlining on a flat surface a template with the old boards    .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 82 Cornwalls said:

If no unwelcome guests had been residing in them for over a week you are probably okay.

I got mine and started cleaning right away with a vacuum sweeper, bad idea because any contamination is blown out the back and circulated into the air.

Regarding replacing the insulation, I understand wanting to keep it original, but I figured there had to be advancements since mine were made in 1982. The insulation isn't all that thick either. I was doing some research and mentioned it to a friend, he had 2 boxes of these acoustic squares he wasn't going to use.

OK, so you got me thinking about cooties so I just set the speakers under a large drop cloth with a small ozone machine I have. I'll leave them in that for a couple of hours to sterilize. Hopefully it doesn't deteriorate/zap any components.

"People get HPS when they breath in hantaviruses. This can happen when rodent urine and droppings that contain a hantavirus are stirred up into the air. People can also become infected when they touch mouse or rat urine, droppings, or nesting materials that contain the virus and then touch their eyes, nose, or mouth."

• Like 1