Vintage Klipschhorn year manufactured

dCharles

Hello, I am new to the forum.   My friend just downsized and could not take his Klipshhorn speakers which I believe he bought new in 1969.    Is there a way to determine year of manufacturing for Type:  BK-WO, serial: 25892?     I just hooked them up to my existing system and they sound fabulous.   I am surprised I don't get the Bass level I expected from these speakers though.   Even with my sub-woofer control activated on my Denon, the bass is pretty "normal"     The mid and highs are excellent.     Thanks for any insights.   dCharles

It was already mentioned, but I'll restate, those are not Klipschorns, they are Belle Klipsch. They will have nice articulate bass response, but it will not dig down very low. They are considered the prettiest Klipsch speakers by many people. 

They are fine speakers.

• Like 1

If you are using a Denon surround sound receiver (AVR=Audio Video Receiver), you will not get the performance these vintage Belles are capable of.  I know this from true experience.  I tried several different AVRs and I could not get my Belles to sound better than just a somewhat decent speaker.  A friend of mine came over and brought a vintage 70s Sony integrated amp and we listened to the Belles with a true 2 channel setup, my mouth almost hit the floor.  The bass was there and refined.  The vocals were so natural sounding.  It was a night & day difference.  

Also, the crossovers probably needs to have the capacitors replaced (recapped).  The caps are over 40 years old and are most likely out of spec.  But I would try to get the speakers hooked up to a true 2 channel setup with a get source (CD player, phono turntable, etc) before I go nuts with recapping the crossover.

Post where you are from, maybe a member that is near you can help you out with troubleshooting.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:51 AM, dCharles said:

I am surprised I don't get the Bass level I expected from these speakers though.   Even with my sub-woofer control activated on my Denon, the bass is pretty "normal"     The mid and highs are excellent.     Thanks for any insights.   dCharles

If the subwoofer settings are on, you may be limiting the bass frequencies to your main speakers. Denon electronics usually work very well with Klipsch speakers.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 10:51 AM, dCharles said:

Even with my sub-woofer control activated on my Denon, the bass is pretty "normal"  

Charles , Welcome to the  klipsch Forum .

some speakers put out a lot of bass ,  the klipsch Belle is not such a speaker , it's a horn loaded  speaker   , the woofer is facing the rear of the speaker and the excursion of the woofer is limited  ,  so if you were expecting bass reflex type bass  , you will be disappointed   , what you need are 2   ...15  or 12 inch subs , one per side  .

Belle klipsch built in plan - Technical/Modifications - The Klipsch Audio  Community

On 6/19/2022 at 11:18 PM, wuzzzer said:

BK-WO would stand for Belle Klipsch, Walnut Oil.

As far as year of manufacture, this thread tells how to decode by serial number.

Klipsch Heritage "Codes" - 2-Channel Home Audio - The Klipsch Audio Community

I would check your number again, there should be a letter in the middle of the numbers.

Thank you Wuzzzer - perfect link.   Checked and the 5 is really an "S"   Got it!

• Like 1