Need to Refinish Speakers

NOVA Rob

I've done a few different sets and used spray cans that have turned out quite well.  The last set of Heresy (just sold them yesterday) I used a gloss black rather than satin.  I prefer the satin. My CW II's and my brother's LaScala's are satin rattle can as well.

Cornwall paint.jpg

LaScala 1.jpg

Heresy done 3.jpg

IMG_3475.jpg

Heresy7.jpg

15 hours ago, NOVA Rob said:

More work done...The white paint is removed from the first speaker...it flaked off with a scraper. It is now down to the black stain. I have sanded the stain, and it can be removed with lots of sanding, but i think no matter what, any stain i select will have to be on the darker side.

I've also opened the second speaker and found a different style of K-22 woofer. This one has a round magnet and silver basket, while the other had a square magnet and black basket.  So...which is original?  which is replacement?  Could they have come from the factory that way? The square magnet looks much older to me, much more faded on the cone. Pictures attached....

IMG_2557.jpeg

IMG_2556.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

I doubt that you will ever hear a difference in the woofers. 

If the cabinets do not have any gouges or corners missing, stay the course.  It looks like the paint is coming off easily if it flakes off.  A nice mahogany or walnut stain will cover these up nicely. 

Try to restore those badges, they are the laser badges and sought after.  Maybe you can get the paint to flake off. 

On 6/19/2022 at 10:58 AM, NOVA Rob said:

Hey everyone,

I’m new to the forum and would like to hear about my speakers! Just bought these Heresy’s on Craigslist and they sound fantastic…but they look rough. I’m looking to get opinions on how to refinish them before I get started. Also, any way to date them, or figure out any manufacturing codes? Serial number: 518615, also a ‘B’ in one corner of the rear edge. Label says: made for audio int’l Frankfurt/Germany Heresy E 

Based on the pictures , 1 speaker is 76-77 or 78 , because of the klipsch Laser badge ,  the 2nd speaker may have had the woofer replaced at some point  ........

.if you look at  the top  center at the rear of the speaker  , just above the rear panel at the center , you should see an engraved serial number .........can you tell us what you see ?

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I use something like this to "paint" woofers if they need it. It's very flexible, since it's specifically used for fabric and vinyl.

Check this out on Amazon
Dupli-Color HVP106 Flat Black High Performance Vinyl and Fabric Spray - 11 oz https://a.co/d/6XYmeum

I had thought about vinyl spray but the need to mask seemed like too much work.  The acrylic paint that I mentioned is put on canvas and will not flake off. Also very easy to apply and clean up with water.

3 hours ago, NOVA Rob said:

Quick picture update…thanks for the continued interest in my project! Top of speaker B is sanded…very smooth. I’ll grab more info off the speakers when I get time later tonight.

did you strip  the speaker , or did you just sand with an orbital  .

Another update.  The black stain that was on the speakers went pretty deep so sanding it off has been difficult. Unfortunately I did go through the veneer in one spot on the side of a speaker. Given how difficult entirely removing the black will be, I'm thinking that painting the speaker might be the way to go. I think in the end it will give me the best results given my starting point.  Here's a few pictures for the update...

85A2A8B0-4331-41A6-9882-A3B46EBBE174_1_105_c.jpeg

2 minutes ago, NOVA Rob said:

. Given how difficult entirely removing the black will be, I'm thinking that painting the speaker might be the way to go

Let me give you a trick , to take off the residue of the black paint  ,   Mineral spirits or paint stripper with steel wool 0000  , the paint will come off .

9 minutes ago, 001 said:

Let me give you a trick , to take off the residue of the black paint  ,   Mineral spirits or paint stripper with steel wool 0000  , the paint will come off .

The problem is, the black is not paint, it’s stain and it’s pretty deep into the wood. In some areas it’s as deep as the veneer is thick. The paint that was over the stain was easy to remove.

On 6/24/2022 at 3:12 PM, NOVA Rob said:

The problem is, the black is not paint, it’s stain and it’s pretty deep into the wood. In some areas it’s as deep as the veneer is thick. The paint that was over the stain was easy to remove.

I am too late but you can just stain them a dark color like walnut or mahogany.  It will cover the dark spots just fine.