Why I Have Exotic Speaker Cables

ka7niq

1 hour ago, 001 said:

PWK  did believe in keeping up with newer technologies   , and I believe klipsch is making sure  as time marches on  that PWK 's products remain at the highest level , and if changing wiring is needed , then so be it .

I met PWK at the Detroit Audio Show at Cobo Hall in Detroit in either 1969 or 1970. Him, and his guys were all wearing a great big BULLSHIT Button. I think if PWK were still alive, that would be his reaction to fancy speaker cable, BULLSHIT !

I also have excotic speaker cables with a conductor resistance of 0.00144 ohms per running meter . Their task is to conduct electricity, to transport the information from the amplifier to my speakers without any kind of discoloration, because I want to hear my equipment and not cable sound. It does not exist, cables don´t  have component status. Even if you use silver cables, they do have higher conductivity than copper cables, by increasing the cross section of a copper cable you can achieve the same conductivity as a silver cable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 001 said:

better quality  wires do make a sonic  improvement with crossover PCB's in newer speakers   versus zip cord that was used with  PIO  crossovers ,  and klipsch must adapt  .

klipsch  are using https://www.audioquest.com/     ,  klipsch tested various types and brands  until they settled for an alternative . the new cables come  at a slightly higher cost  ,  but  they are still relatively affordable .

PWK  did believe in keeping up with newer technologies   , and I believe klipsch is making sure  as time marches on  that PWK 's products remain at the highest level , and if changing wiring is needed , then so be it .

Well, we have capacitors from a Klipsch approved vendor that are available to bring the older speakers back to their design specs. If there is any improvement available with Audio Quest wires over lamp cord, I would EXPECT them to be available thru Klipsch.

Just like I thought..... Crickets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

Well, we have capacitors from a Klipsch approved vendor that are available to bring the older speakers back to their design specs. If there is any improvement available with Audio Quest wires over lamp cord, I would EXPECT them to be available thru Klipsch.

Just like I thought..... Crickets.

You can read all about it here 

I do not believe PWK if he were still alive would condone this. I think the BULLSHIT Button would come out. But anything to make an extra buck I guess ?

I found this Klipsch approved Capacitor Vendor, and read his story, and I agree. From re doing crossovers in a zillion vintage speakers, not just Klipsch, I too have found if you replace a Mylar Cap with a Poly, the speaker gets brighter.

However, if you replace a Mylar with a Non Polar Electrolytic Capacitor, the sound gets more mellow. 

Edited by ka7niq
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ka7niq said:

I do not believe PWK if he were still alive would condone this. I think the BULLSHIT Button would come out. But anything to make an extra buck I guess ?

Tell me about this "Klipsch Approved" Capacitor Vendor ? Who is it ? Bob Crites ?

It's the 4th post down in the Technical/Modifications section, JEM Performance Capacitor kits.

Bob Crites passed away a year and a half ago, his family is running the business now. They state they proudly have no connection to Klipsch.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

It's the 4th post down in the Technical/Modifications section, JEM Performance Capacitor kits.

Bob Crites passed away a year and a half ago, his family is running the business now. They state they proudly have no connection to Klipsch.

I found it, and was unaware Crites passed. From what I have seen JEM Capacitors are replacing Mylar Capacitors, with Mylar Capacitors. Not a bad strategy, if you want to preserve the original sound. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babadono said:

With repeatable experiments that reach the same measurable outcome repeatably in different locations most notably anechoic chambers when referring to audio

Amen. Only heard them once and WOW. Dave folks here don't know what you got. "She's my little deuce coupe S-MWMs, you don't know what I got".

I think it is so funny that people want to debate about cables and amplifiers when their transducers(speakers) are producing so much AM and IM distortion and the room reflections, reverberation and room modes are causing other artifacts.

Of course differences can be heard......Enjoy the music.

Got to demonstrate "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" to a guy from Bucksnort TN yesterday. Always funny to watch  peoples faces. With music here sometimes the hair stands straight up on your arm or shivers run up and down your spine. One day after I got them dialed in right I was playing Time by Pink Floyd. All of a sudden I look at my arm and all the hair was standing straight up. I look over at my buddy and he was staring at his arm too for the same reason.

However I have it from a good source that I do not care about how things really sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Dave A said:

With music here sometimes the hair stands straight up on your arm or shivers run up and down your spine.

For me it's the hair on the back of my neck. It took a long time before digital sources could make that happen, while good vinyl could do it regularly. As my system, and digital recording, have improved over the years, I've found that digital can do it, too. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Now we can hash out the digital vs. analogue debate, lol

Yeah, sorry, that was a bit out of context, but it wasn't intentional. I was just comparing my reaction with that of @Dave A, and threw-in a little too much information.

8 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Let's get this correct. 

I think it is digital solid state direct radiating capacitors versus analog horn loaded tube capacitors. 

Well not really the caps but the wire in the leads and the type of solder. 

Well thanks! I never got that far.🤔