Why I Have Exotic Speaker Cables

ka7niq

LOL. this thread seems to be taking on a life of it's own :)  Of course Capacitors sound different for a number of reasons. They store electricity, for one, and can present resistance expressed as ESR. The late Bob Crites got me into ESR, so much so that I bought equipment to measure it. I have found, in general, that the brighter a Cap sounds, the lower it's measured ESR. 

If you already have a speaker that tends to brightness that has Mylar Caps in it, replacing those Mylar Caps with Poly Caps will make it even brighter. A better strategy to tame the brightness IME is simply to replace the Mylar Caps with non polar electrolytic Caps. Most non polar electrolytic Caps have higher ESR than Mylar, and will tame things down a bit. Paper In Oil Caps have the highest ESR of just about any Caps I have ever measured on my ESR Meter. LOL, no wonder some owners of bright horns and other bright speakers love them! 

• Like 1

Why don't you kids just get AudioTool and some kind of 10-12-15-31 band EQ? 

Seems like a lot of work to swap X-over caps vs. nudging a slider on a graphic EQ.

But WTH do I know?  Some guys like swapping 12AX7 tubes until they pass out.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Sure, keep believing that.  Do I have a lot of money?  No.  Do I want to impress people with my gear?  No.  Do I use it as a "status symbol"?  No.

Only through buying, selling, trading, bartering, etc, etc, etc through many, many years have I been able to acquire amps and preamps that compliment my listening environment and the music I enjoy.

So please, continue to mock the Mcintosh brand, and those that appreciate it, while I will continue to listen and laugh.

I am not mocking the McIntosh brand. I'm just saying, because it costs so much money and is so easy to recognize even by people outside the hobby, it is ALSO one of the brands that gets purchased by people who just want to impress the guests. And also by those who will never ever purchase something that's not made in the USA. I never said it was everyone's case. I never said it was a lousy brand. Just like I love Rolex watches even tho they are THE status symbol watch purchased by non-watch people when they want to show off, because everyone recognizes a Rolex on your wrist from 20 feet distance, which is not the case with Patek Philippe for example. Doesn't make Rolex a bad brand.

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

Got to demonstrate "Toccata and Fugue in D minor" to a guy from Bucksnort TN yesterday. Always funny to watch  peoples faces. With music here sometimes the hair stands straight up on your arm or shivers run up and down your spine. One day after I got them dialed in right I was playing Time by Pink Floyd. All of a sudden I look at my arm and all the hair was standing straight up. I look over at my buddy and he was staring at his arm too for the same reason.

However I have it from a good source that I do not care about how things really sound.

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said  you don't have a great system or that you don't care how things sound.

As a matter of fact, impressive systems like yours are exactly the candidates for better front end components, tweaks, and cables. A good system can sound good with zip cord. Attention to detail will make it sound even better. Some people don't care about incremental improvements and that may be you. I don't know.

14 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said  you don't have a great system or that you don't care how things sound.

As a matter of fact, impressive systems like yours are exactly the candidates for better front end components, tweaks, and cables. A good system can sound good with zip cord. Attention to detail will make it sound even better. Some people don't care about incremental improvements and that may be you. I don't know.

I guess I am in the position where what I have is good enough that I no longer seek improvement at my expense. I have had people here who tell me various things would sound better then what I have and I always invite them to bring those things on their next visit. For some reason they never do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I guess I am in the position where what I have is good enough that I no longer seek improvement at my expense. I have had people here who tell me various things would sound better then what I have and I always invite them to bring those things on their next visit. For some reason they never do.

LOL, I am the same way! They all talk shit, until I invite them over to SHOW me, but they never show up! 

I own many pairs of  speakers, including Apogee's Duetta Signatures, and I guess  they are scared my speakers are more revealing than theirs ? 

I can't say that the people that visit me don't know things, they do. Newbies are not the people who come to see and hear at my place. I never pester the people who made claims about things that would improve my setup asking where is your proof in hand on this trip. I don't KNOW why they don't bring their gizmo's and have my suspicions as to why.

I enjoy having people stop in and encourage visits and if they want to bring their toys badly enough to show up with them I would make the time to fiddle with them. I don't turn away new things to hear I just don't expect anything of real merit to justify expense any more.

• Like 2