Jump to content

Why I Have Exotic Speaker Cables


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Sure, keep believing that.  Do I have a lot of money?  No.  Do I want to impress people with my gear?  No.  Do I use it as a "status symbol"?  No.

Only through buying, selling, trading, bartering, etc, etc, etc through many, many years have I been able to acquire amps and preamps that compliment my listening environment and the music I enjoy.

 

So please, continue to mock the Mcintosh brand, and those that appreciate it, while I will continue to listen and laugh.

 

Ok, but dos it sound the same as a Crown amp? How about a Sony receiver? Any difference?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rolox said:

Go ahead, mock me, make a fool of me, I won't change my mind about it.

 

And the subjectivists accuse the objectivists of being "closed-minded"?

 

Everyone is free to believe whatever they want. Just don't present opinion as fact.

 

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

 

And the subjectivists accuse the objectivists of being "closed-minded"?

 

Everyone is free to believe whatever they want. Just don't present opinion as fact.

 

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

 

I agree that everyone is free to believe what they want. That said, I wouldn't call hearing differences in cables  anything "extraordinary". I'd actually label it rather mundane.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shakeydeal said:

I'd actually label it rather mundane.

 

"Mundane claims require mundane evidence."

Rarely is there any evidence at all, save for claims of either extraordinary hearing abilities or extraordinary equipment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My main reason for going to Audiogone, way gone that is, is for the priceless satire masquerading as serious thoughts. Seasoned all knowing "audiophiles" lay down the righteous laws of audio only they can fully understand as they leave their price tags discretely displayed on their audio gear. Being a dirt behind the ears kind of dude I have had fun over there at times poking the pretentious with my fine zip cord cable management and Crown XLI trash commercial amps that I so arrogantly claim are worth while. As a bonus you also get people over there who think bags of tumbled Tourmaline affixed to your cables make your setup sound better.

 

  I have heard a lot of systems and elect to stay with the right choices of economical gear and build parts of my systems since I can't buy what I want. As crazy as it may sound I have a a fair number of repeat visitors here to listen to the Super MWM's. Zip cords sprawled on the floor and big ugly duratex coated boxes and no fancy electronics except the Xilicas. Hearing is believing though :D

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Edgar said:

 

"Mundane claims require mundane evidence."

Rarely is there any evidence at all, save for claims of either extraordinary hearing abilities or extraordinary equipment.

Golden ears have more ability then mere mortals can possess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Dave A said:

... I have had fun over there at times poking the pretentious with my fine zip cord cable management and Crown XLI trash commercial amps that I so arrogantly claim are worth while.

 

A few years ago I had a job interview at Harman. I got to speak with their chief amplifier designer, so I asked him what he does differently when designing a consumer amp for Harman Kardon vs. a pro amp for Crown vs. an audiophile amp for Mark Levinson. He answered that the circuits were the same, he would just choose parts that were appropriate for each application -- e.g., 1% resistors for Levinson vs. 5% for Harman Kardon, bigger heat sinks for Crown, etc.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Golden ears have more ability then (sic) mere mortals can possess.

 

Snarky. Is that what you meant to be?

 

So people who are more attentive listeners (active listener, if you will) are "golden ears" to you? And casual listeners are "mere mortals"? Ok, got it. I just wanted to be clear on yet another "us vs. them" attitude. I suppose we don't have enough if that shoved down our throats by the mainstream media already? We can come here and get it too. Awesome!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Shakeydeal said:

 

Snarky. Is that what you meant to be?

 

So people who are more attentive listeners (active listener, if you will) are "golden ears" to you? And casual listeners are "mere mortals"? Ok, got it. I just wanted to be clear on yet another "us vs. them" attitude. I suppose we don't have enough if that shoved down our throats by the mainstream media already? We can come here and get it too. Awesome!

So are you accusing me of being an unattentive listener? I find that very hurtful and triggering. I can go to Audiogon if I want to be treated like this.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Dave A said:

So are you accusing me of being an unattentive listener? I find that very hurtful and triggering. I can go to Audiogon if I want to be treated like this.

 

No more than you are accusing me of having "golden ears". You can go to Audiogon and get your abuse. I get mine here.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rolox said:

 

Cable directionality? Yes, it has to do initially with the ground end. But then, as you use your brand new cable, it breaks in in THAT position, and using it reverse kinda screws the break in, and it has to be done all over again (not a big deal, and no it won't destroy the cable, obviously, but the cable will not sound at its best for a while. Again, some cables can be more sensitive to this, depending on the geometry and materials used. That's what your friend was scared about. Ask him. Again, if for you cables don't make a difference, you will dismiss this as foolish. Your loss, if you ask me, not your friend being an idiot).

 

 

I was with you until this. The electrons mess with the directionality of the cable?

 

And no, his friend is being an idiot. He was fooled with the ground rod; where do you think your house ground ultimately terminates? A ground rod outside your house as well as at the power station.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

 

No more than you are accusing me of having "golden ears". You can go to Audiogon and get your abuse. I get mine here.

 

That's what is funny with your response. I never said this directed towards you but you assumed I meant people like you so therefore the hilarity ensues. How does one get golden ears anyway? Is there a course on this or is it natural ability?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Edgar said:

 

A few years ago I had a job interview at Harman. I got to speak with their chief amplifier designer, so I asked him what he does differently when designing a consumer amp for Harman Kardon vs. a pro amp for Crown vs. an audiophile amp for Mark Levinson. He answered that the circuits were the same, he would just choose parts that were appropriate for each application -- e.g., 1% resistors for Levinson vs. 5% for Harman Kardon, bigger heat sinks for Crown, etc.

 

This is a reason Shindo sounds good (to some); open it and it looks pretty mundane. But it is the right part for the right application; synergy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dave A said:

How does one get golden ears anyway? Is there a course on this or is it natural ability?

 

I have found that most people hear pretty well, once taught what to listen for. What really distinguishes audiophiles from non-audiophiles is the degree to which they care about what they hear.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shakeydeal said:

 

Nope, never heard of him.....🙄

The reason I brought up Julian Hirsch of Stereo Review is this. Julian was a Ham Radio Operator like me. KA7NIQ is my Ham Radio Callsign. Some years ago, I accidentally got Julian on my Ham Radio. I asked him if he really did not hear any differences in amplifiers, because he  was famous for saying all properly designed amplifiers operating within their limits, sounded the same. He admitted to me he did hear small differences in amplifier sound sometimes, but he did not feel that it was important, when it could be corrected with slight adjustment of the bass or treble controls. There are many people who feel that all amplifiers sound the same. The owner and head engineer of QSC for one, as well as Floyd Toole, to name a few. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Edgar said:

 

I have found that most people hear pretty well, once taught what to listen for. What really distinguishes audiophiles from non-audiophiles is the degree to which they care about what they hear.

You mean the difference between AC/DC and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Edgar said:

 

I have found that most people hear pretty well, once taught what to listen for. What really distinguishes audiophiles from non-audiophiles is the degree to which they care about what they hear.

I have found that my non audiophile friends seldom appreciated transparent  sounding systems with great imaging I have had, over the years. Probably out of all the many speakers I have owned over 45 years in this audio obsession, one pair of speakers stand out as the ones all my non audiophile friends liked the most.

My Non Audiophile friends really loved my old Electro Voice Interface D's! 

Nearly every one of them all said "Chris, you should keep these speakers, because they are by far the best sound I have ever heard at your house"

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...