Need Some Help - Value and Fit - HIFI Live Commercial System - K402 Horns & MWM Bass Bins - KPT-904

flow

Hello Klipsch Community Members,

I need some help not only understanding if a potential system will work for my venue and purposed but also what the value of that system is.

So I am a huge HIFI addict and have multiple businesses which has opened up the opportunity to start a live music venue in Cincinnati. 

I believe the city is missing a medium sized venue (200 people) with a truly incredible sound system (most venues are large commercial places with arena style setups or small places with terrible systems for fidelity.)

I have a building which used to be a vaudeville theater for the venue and everything lined up, now I just need the sound system.

My preference is to use a full horn system due to some of the best live shows I have ever heard were on full horns.

At this time I have access to two systems to purchase which I will describe.

Please provide feed back on both systems in sound, fit for what I am looking to do and value.

System 1: $4,500

2 - Klipsch k402 horns, 691 drivers. 4 - Mwm bass bins. Passive crossovers. This package also includes: Xilica 4080 active crossover, 2 Carver ZR1600 amps, Crown 75 amp, a New Yamaha 5.1 Receiver as well as all cabling (Picture attached)

System 2: $6,000

2 - Klipsch 904s, Parasound 2250 V2, Nx1000d, 2 - 18" subs or just $4,000 for the 2 - Klipsch 904s (Picture attached)

Please help as I am not an expert on these type of systems and want to provide an amazing experience to people while listening from anything from Jazz to EDM.

Thank you very much and I look forward to your feedback,
Rhys

287127239_4711380462299892_4329833130261830710_n.jpg

276001396_4794320390678832_8158695734269223940_n.png

Edited by flow
  • Like 1

• flow changed the title to Need Some Help - Value and Fit - HIFI Live Commercial System - K402 Horns & MWM Bass Bins - KPT-904

What @Marvel said. You said you liked how fully loaded horn systems sound. Well the MWM/K402 system is that. Depending on how big the venue and acoustically it is set up you may have to add tweeters. The Xilica will help that to be easier. Also depending on how low you want the system to go you may have to add subs. I envy your situation. Sounds like a lot of fun, but hard work also. A little hard work never hurt anyone.

Welcome to the madness.

BTW  $4500 for all that? ...don't even hesitate for a second...as long as it all works.

30 minutes ago, babadono said:

What @Marvel said. You said you liked how fully loaded horn systems sound. Well the MWM/K402 system is that. Depending on how big the venue and acoustically it is set up you may have to add tweeters. The Xilica will help that to be easier. Also depending on how low you want the system to go you may have to add subs. I envy your situation. Sounds like a lot of fun, but hard work also. A little hard work never hurt anyone.

Welcome to the madness.

BTW  $4500 for all that? ...don't even hesitate for a second...as long as it all works.

Thank you very much @Marvel and @babadono for the feedback and information.

It sounds like the MWM/K402 system is the way to go!

What tweeters or subs would you recommend to compliment that setup?

Additionally, the system is currently just being run of the Yamaha, as I understand it is not very power hungry.

Do you believe the amps are sufficient? Replaced? OR unnecessary?

Yes, it will be a very fun adventure but one that will include a lot of hard work which I am certainly a big fan of!

Anything worth doing takes hard work!

Thank you very much for the welcomes!

Yes, it all works but I can get the price reduced if I do not take some of the electrical components.

Thank you again!

• Like 1

Well ...the horn loaded sub to go with these would be a KPT 1802-HLS. Don't think you're going to find on the used market. I'm sure other manufacturers products could work as well. The tweeter horn for this set up would be the K510 which also will be a rare animal...although your other choice set up has one sitting on top.

IMHO don't leave the Xilica behind. Having a quality active crossover makes life mixing and matching speaker components much easier. The Carver amps...sure why not and a Crown D75...love me some D75s...I've rebuilt/refurb'd 4 of them.

To dial this in you're going to need a calibrated microphone i.e. a UMIK-1, a laptop and REW

Hi Rhys,

Voting for the MWM/402 system :) 

Note; have KPT-904's in my living room. Replaced the 510 horns with much larger JBL horns (close to 402 size) - haha, much better. Do not think TWO 904's will be sufficient for a venue of your size. (Believe they are rated for a small venue and about 150 people.) Maybe give us the size of the "room."

Good luck; keep us posted.

Cheers, Emile

A pair of the MWMs with the 402s should be effortless. I had a pair of MWM bins in my house with La Scala tops. A 25wpc crown D-45 could easily get louder than is safe for hearing. The problem is they sound so clean you can get them too loud and not realize it.

Sure, you will need more power but the sound is great.

On 6/21/2022 at 11:21 AM, babadono said:

Welcome to the madness.

On 6/22/2022 at 1:54 PM, babadono said:

@flow All I know is when you get it going I wanna visit:)

WELL WITH THE REVIEWS IN I WILL BE GOING TO LISTEN TO IT THIS WEEK AND IF ALL IS WELL I THINK I AM GOING TO JUMP IN!

I would love to get a custom pro system but I was just able to get him to come down to $4K for everything and there is no way I can get a full current pro system anywhere close to that, my home system costs much more.

I want to have something amazing in the city that no one else has, has its own unique sound and creates special moments that you can't recreate using modern compressed systems.

I can not wait to hear them in person and hope they are everything I have read about and more.

Does anyone have any tips on tuning and testing?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, flow said:

tips , tuning testing?

Play them as loud as they can go , full power ,  to mimic a nightclub , if you are impressed  ,  you have a winner  , if the sound is not as loud as you expected at full power , then you'll need  more speakers , more amps ......

Playing a system as loud as it will go is a good way to blow something.  However, if you put in earplugs and it can still get loud enough that you want to turn it down a bit, that should be plenty, keeping in mind that people and their clothes absorb sound. A system that sounds really loud in an empty room won’t seem as loud when that same room is full of people.

On 6/21/2022 at 3:19 PM, 001 said:

A word of advice , New gear yields  savings on repairs and downtime  as the gear has to run Full Power   ......8 h per day ..and used gear always fails when you least expect it .

I don't know anyone who runs a PA full power, and I believe this is a venue for performances, not a dance club.

Memphis used to have a nice club in an old movie theater... they would show a movie and the screen would go up and a couple of bands would perform,

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Memphis used to have a nice club in an old movie theater... they would show a movie and the screen would go up and a couple of bands would perform,

NYC ,  used to have a club in an old taxi garage ,  the Paradise Garage had the loudest sound system ever to exist on the Planet  , and World famous Bands would play there on the weekend   .

On 6/21/2022 at 11:57 AM, flow said:

It sounds like the MWM/K402 system is the way to go!

What tweeters or subs would you recommend to compliment that setup?

Additionally, the system is currently just being run of the Yamaha, as I understand it is not very power hungry.

I had those in my basement sound room 15 years ago. 10 Watts was plenty. I used a pair of B&C DE-10's with ME-10 Horns PER CHANNEL for Recorded Music and movies (4 total). It was a passive system powered by an Onkyo Receiver. Getting 106 db/Watt is hard for people to understand. Expcially those who believe that kilowatts are needed for horns. Jim Hunter used to "peg the needle" on his db meter in an OUTDOOR venue with 200 Watts per channel. Indoor power requirements are much less for only 200 seats.

On 6/28/2022 at 7:16 PM, ClaudeJ1 said:

I had those in my basement sound room 15 years ago. 10 Watts was plenty. I used a pair of B&C DE-10's with ME-10 Horns PER CHANNEL for Recorded Music and movies (4 total). It was a passive system powered by an Onkyo Receiver. Getting 106 db/Watt is hard for people to understand. Expcially those who believe that kilowatts are needed for horns. Jim Hunter used to "peg the needle" on his db meter in an OUTDOOR venue with 200 Watts per channel. Indoor power requirements are much less for only 200 seats.

I never felt any desire to go above around 80 watts on my amps with my MCM-1900's and at that point they were to loud for more then short time frames. The Super MWM's less then that.

• Thanks 1