Need Some Help - Value and Fit - HIFI Live Commercial System - K402 Horns & MWM Bass Bins - KPT-904

flow

On 6/28/2022 at 12:07 AM, Khornukopia said:

Listen to a few of your favorite songs and then put in some ear plugs and turn it up.

WELL THE TIME IS OFFICIALLY TOMORROW AND I PLAN TO DO JUST THAT!

PLAYLIST SET AND READY FOR 5 HOURS OF DRIVING!

ALSO BRINGING THE WIFE!

Finally took her to a true HIFI store and listened to 3 sets of speakers, then same ones in her car and then our 2 systems in our house (she have never actually intentionally listened).

SHE IS A FAN AND UNDERSTANDS THE DIFFERENCE!

As she says its an experience rather than just sound, like watching a movie vs playing the tv in the background!

I CHOSE A REAL WINNER!

LET'S SEE WHAT SHE THINKS OF THE BIG BOYS!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 12:54 PM, babadono said:

Well ...the horn loaded sub to go with these would be a KPT 1802-HLS. Don't think you're going to find on the used market. I'm sure other manufacturers products could work as well. The tweeter horn for this set up would be the K510 which also will be a rare animal...although your other choice set up has one sitting on top.

IMHO don't leave the Xilica behind. Having a quality active crossover makes life mixing and matching speaker components much easier. The Carver amps...sure why not and a Crown D75...love me some D75s...I've rebuilt/refurb'd 4 of them.

To dial this in you're going to need a calibrated microphone i.e. a UMIK-1, a laptop and REW

WELL.......WE DID IT!!!!

AND BOY TO THEY SOUND AMAZING!!! (Even Wife Approved)

Here are a couple of the shots of the speakers and their new home (as well as a lucky penny in the bass bin)

But now I am going to need some real help!

1. The survived the trip and were monsters to move, everything is working well, tested using the passive crossovers and a Yamaha amp (ROOM FILLED WITH SOUND at 0DB on receiver and mixer not even close to max using standard aux out from laptop to mixer to AV receiver).

2.BUT......Now for the tune in as we will be revealing them to the public for the first time on 7/23/2022 for a disco night.

3. Are there any good guides or could anyone help me program the xilica as I have no experience with it.

4. I am not a pro audio guy so please help...to confirm wiring it is - DJ Decks -> Mixer -> Xilica -> Amps -> Speakers anything I am missing?

ANYTHING I SHOULD KNOW TO ENSURE WE DO NOT HAVE ANY BLOWN EQUIPMENT?!?

5. I also picked up a Morrison ELAD Pre-Amp the seller had, is there a use for it in this setup or is anyone interested in it.

THANK YOU SO MUCH AGAIN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

IMG_20220709_173529.jpg

IMG_20220709_170344.jpg

IMG_20220709_112403.jpg

IMG_20220710_212302.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Your going to need a mic and REW software at a minimum.  Has a pretty large learning curve though.  Are there any Pro Audio rental company or consultants in your area?  Perhaps a local band sound engineer?

Very impressive set up, its really going to sound great once dialed into the room.

@dtel has the equivalent in his house. Not the Xilica, but Roy @Chief bonehead  helped him dial it in and might have some settings for you to get started.

Ought to sound awesome for that venue! Great pics, I'm envious...

Are people going to be seated? Might need to have those raised a little bit to have the K-402s a little over head height so folks in the back won't lose the high end.

Bruce

• Like 2

Consult a local pro sound company to dial in your setup, referring to LTusler's post above?  That's not a bad idea.  When I went from having a pair of 3-way single-amped La Scalas to 2-way bi-amped JubScalas, I had problems.  Very low sound, very loud noise, that kind of thing.  After 2 weeks of frustration, including tips from a Forum member whose suggestions were likely helpful but were over my head, I was still at Square 1.

At that point, I called the local concert sound company and had them send over a tech.  He was familiar with the E-V Dx38, but had never seen one in a home sound system.  No matter.  Within two hours, including a phone call or two back to the shop, the system was running right!  I put on a live concert DVD to check it, and the tech's jaw dropped, which put a big smile on my face, of course.  "You can hear everything..." was all he said.

Anyway, that was money well spent, around $100, I think.  In your case, I'd suggest that you call up a local concert sound company and ask if they have a tech who's familiar with the Xilica.  He or she shouldn't be hard to find, and he should be able to dial in your system in a fraction of the time it would take you, plus there would likely be much less swearing involved.

So that's my suggestion.

BTW, your setup looks great!

• Like 1

and

These are great tutorials from our used to be resident sound set up guru (who the F chased him away BTW:mad:) @Chris A. Almost any post from him is very helpful. You can search through his other posts as well.

And yes as I posted before you got these...you are going to need a calibrated microphone, I believe the UMIK-1 is the most economical. And the soft(free) ware to use it is... well...free. It is called Room EQ Wizard or REW for short.

And wow the venue is stunning...I REALLY wanna visit now.

• Moderators

Thanks Babadono 

Marvel is right, it is the same thing I have in our living room. But I do not have the Xilica, use the EV Dx38 instead, it was was the original for this setup, The Dx has different settings and IN different frequencies places so these setting would be no help. 

There may be some people using the Xilica for this setup but I wouldn't know who to ask. 

I know it will sound good, especially in a room that size with room to breath. 

Sub is in the middle under tv. The other speakers are for HT.

speakers (4).jpeg

• Like 2

And oh yea....you need an app for the Xilica called XConsole...it is also free available direct from Xilica. It lets you control the settings on the Xilica via a GUI running on a laptop or PC. Makes it tons easier to adjust the crossover...the front panel controls though functional are cumbersome(down right PITA I'd say).

I dunno....... but in a venue that size and depending on how many bodies are absorbing sound you MIGHT just need some tweeters on the top end. And SUBWOOFERAGE is in order...but don't worry about that for your opening night. Is the Xilica not set up at all to run this? What was the former owner doing?

4 hours ago, babadono said:

and

These are great tutorials from our used to be resident sound set up guru (who the F chased him away BTW:mad:) @Chris A. Almost any post from him is very helpful. You can search through his other posts as well.

And yes as I posted before you got these...you are going to need a calibrated microphone, I believe the UMIK-1 is the most economical. And the soft(free) ware to use it is... well...free. It is called Room EQ Wizard or REW for short.

And wow the venue is stunning...I REALLY wanna visit now.

Yes, I agree with @babadono about the info in those links to @Chris A threads here on the forum.

On 6/20/2022 at 10:04 AM, flow said:

2 - Klipsch k402 horns, 691 drivers. 4 - Mwm bass bins. Passive crossovers. This package also includes: Xilica 4080 active crossover,

These could be the settings for your tweeters, or at least a good guideline. I would begin with a higher ( 500 Hz ) high pass crossover point.

image.png.cf41a4bf25f174a614c5b16cd09d75d5.png

• Moderators
14 hours ago, flow said:

AND BOY TO THEY SOUND AMAZING!!! (Even Wife Approved)

Yes they do, I agree.

On 7/2/2022 at 11:52 AM, flow said:

As she says its an experience rather than just sound, like watching a movie vs playing the tv in the background!

I CHOSE A REAL WINNER!

Yes you did, my wife also picked ours by sound when she heard them for 1 minute.

So which room are they going in, thought it was the big room, or was the other just to try them out?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roy released settings for K402 with 691 drivers and Xilica processor.  Those were however for Jub bass cabinets.

Roy also released settings for the MWMs being used with K402 and K69 drivers.

Between those two releases I was able to put together an excellent setup for the 402/MWM in 2-way as you have it.

• Like 1