Jucy Music Peach II repair

Goldgilding

3 hours ago, 001 said:

are the gains noisy

Speaking of the right/left channels, the unit I had, the answer was YES.  I called Mark to ask about this.

What I discovered is, if I had the gain at zero, I had hiss.  If I had the gain at 100%, I had hiss.  If I had the gains at approximately 50%, the hiss went away.  Not being very technically minded (me, not Deneen!), what he said was the gains pulled from BOTH sides of a tube (if I recall) and when I had them at their center-point, the tube was (my words) 'in balance' so I had the least amount of hiss.  Once I turned it up OR down, the tube was out of balance and here comes the hiss.

My take on that is it was a design reality.  Changing tubes would not fix it (I can't swear to that)  I used the tubes he specifically recommended so I'd like to think they were the best suited for the noise issue.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

What I discovered is, if I had the gain at zero, I had hiss.  If I had the gain at 100%, I had hiss.  If I had the gains at approximately 50%, the hiss went away.... the gains pulled from BOTH sides of a tube (if I recall) and when I had them at their center-point, the tube was (my words) 'in balance' so I had the least amount of hiss.  Once I turned it up OR down, the tube was out of balance and here comes the hiss.

That is interesting... in a weird way, it makes sense.

I had hiss too.  I agree playing with the gains could affect and minimize it.  I loved my Peach for many years.  But what made the hiss go away almost completely was that I had Mark convert it to 6H30 from 6922/6DJ8.  The 6922 family had more 3D/holographic presentation (but noisey tubes), and the 6H30 was cleaner but less imaging.  if you could find a really clean sounding 6922 that was the way to go.  Better imaging.

10 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I had hiss too. 

I had Mark convert it to 6H30 from 6922/6DJ8.  The 6922 family had more 3D/holographic presentation (but noisey tubes), and the 6H30 was cleaner but less imaging.  if you could find a really clean sounding 6922 that was the way to go.  Better imaging.

SWEEEEET sounding... and there was much rejoicing.

25453629647_aa928b8d79_k.jpg

I owned Peach and Blueberry, maybe one or two of each when they were the “go to” years back on this here forum. Each one I owned was noisy no matter the  tube type. Noise and hiss were their only attributes IMO. Sold ‘‘em all as quickly as possible and never looked back. I always scratched my head as to all the fuss, I never heard it -  

My Merlin was a little noisy with 6922s, but I put in a 6dj8 and it was wonderful. I need to get a couple spares, as I've had it for over 15 yrs now. Only has two tubes, one of which is the rectifier.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:33 PM, richieb said:

I owned Peach and Blueberry, maybe one or two of each when they were the “go to” years back on this here forum. Each one I owned was noisy no matter the  tube type. Noise and hiss were their only attributes IMO. Sold ‘‘em all as quickly as possible and never looked back. I always scratched my head as to all the fuss, I never heard it -  

That was my experience too.  It was 'musical' but I went with a digital pre and never looked back.  I've gotten to the point I'll trade miniscule noise and distortion for 'musical' euphonic distortion.  As a bonus, it's achievable for a fraction of the price.

I had really good luck with my Peach - in fact I think it the most viable of all of those units long term in that the rectifier didn't have to run those phono section tubes, etc. Easy, stripped down line stage which suited my purposes well. Have a friend with one too with similar results. Only replaced it for phono......and still have it as a backup, which I roll in once a year for a month just to get its exercise.....

Both of us have VRDs and the Peach mated with those great. Yeah it's a bit tube picky but once I found one it held. And the imaging for the $$$$ is unparalleled, along with its ability to convey the naturalness of instruments at such a value price.

It WAS noisy with some other amplifiers, my Mac MC250s didn't get along with it so well as the input voltage sensitivity was too sensitive for the Peach such that it was noisy/hissy even with good tubes. Just a mismatch. With VRDs, a match made in heaven. 

I moved on to the NBS, where I have phono stage and the ability to roll in teflon caps, and it's free of those aforementioned issues. It took more work to get the image and the "layering" to show up (teflon caps and Siemens tubes really made this piece leap off the page). It's another animal entirely on a performance level, but I'll never say anything bad about a Peach as very few gears delivered that musicality for that price. I think the Original Peach was the best JM pre made. If a person likes it they will go through hello trying to get a suitable "ear happy" as they did from this. It will cost considerably more, and really, the JM sonically was a unique sound in the marketplace. They really were "just for us".

• Like 1

Mark Deneen had a fix for the noise.  It was a grounding improvement he made on anyone's unit that got sent back.  I had an early unit and probably sent it back to him 3-4 times for upgrades until all was solid.  Then I ran it for almost 16 years with no issues whatsoever.  I sold it to a guy in California and he blew it up the first week.  I sent him the schematics and he ended up getting the rectifier circuit replaced and then sold it to someone else.