Klipsch RS-7 Capacitor Upgrade

Southern

A few years ago I upgraded my the capacitors in my RF-7's and RC-7.  I didn't feel the need to upgrade the capacitors on the RS-7's since most of the Blu-ray concerts had minimal music content piped to the surrounds.

I recently started to listen to SACD's and realized how much music content comes through the surround speakers so I decided to upgrade the capacitors in the RS-7's. 

I decided to go with Solen capacitors due the relativily low cost and I had used them on my Forte's with great success.

After doing the capacitor upgrade to one speaker, I did a comparison.  The factory crossover sounded muddled like there was no crossover between the woofer and tweeters.

The upgraded capacitor crossover had more of a detailed sound which I could hear the distinction between the bass coming from the woofer and highs from the tweeters.

Overall I am pleased with the new capacitors and I am enjoying my SACD's even more!

Below are some pictures of the original and upgraded crossovers.  There is about 2" of clearance beween the woofer magnet and crossover board which the Solen's were able to fit.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0624.jpg

IMG_0627.jpg

• Like 3

I had a similar experience with some KG2.5s.  Most of my difference was in replacing the electrolytics, but I definitely understand what you are saying about the 'muddled crossover' sound. It was NOT a subtle difference by the time everything was done.

• Like 1