For you McIntosh fans

Shakeydeal

11 minutes ago, mdm7eb said:

Confirmation bias is funny thing. The lies we tell ourselves and the purchases we make to feel superior over one another. 

I think that judgment is conflating a proposed truism with reality... when we spend money in search of betterment, the tendency is not for confirmation but for one of criticality... at least for me.

6 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

They have a nice clock too! In audiophile terms 'affordable'... 

Screenshot_20220623_160913_com.android.chrome.jpg

For that kind of money, the clock should at least be accurate.  Instead, the hour hand is exactly at 3 o’clock, while the minute hand is at 47 minutes.  It would be frustrating, to me anyway, to have that kind of misalignment/misadjustment visible all day and night.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Schu said:

I think that judgment is conflating a proposed truism with reality... when we spend money in search of betterment, the tendency is not for confirmation but for one of criticality... at least for me.

I am making fun of all of us (including myself) on how serious we take this hobby and the actions and statements that leads us to make -- not passing judgement. But thanks for making my point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdm7eb said:

You can hear a difference between amps? Interesting....  Confirmation bias is funny thing (says the person with a multi-thousand dollar stack of McIntosh electronics). The lies we tell ourselves and the purchases we make to feel superior over one another. 

Are you saying you can’t hear a difference, or you can? Not sure……

16 hours ago, michaelwjones said:

No, reality.  I assure you I know & can hear the differences between my 300B, KT88 and SS amps. It ain't rocket science; it's listening.

IMO comparing these amps is akin to the apples-oranges-watermelon comparison. These are so different that yes, you can easily hear differences. Where it becomes difficult is comparing say a Benchmark to Hypex nc400 where they both have vanishing levels of distortion and background noise. I have both and it’s a coin flip to distinguish one from the other. More often than not it is the recording sounds “different”. It’s examples like this that make the “all amps sound the same” relevant.