Best way to waterproof speaker cones

Dave A

Dave, years ago I sprayed silicone lubricant (3 in 1 brand, the yellow can) on a pair of K-33 woofers that were beyond bleached by the sun.

They instantly looked better and I could not hear any ill results, if in fact there were any.

Here’s a shot of the can, notice how it says quick drying and safe on wood. My take was a paper cone is wood pulp.

It is not 100% silicone so it would likely be pretty flammable until completely dried, smoke ‘em if ya got ‘em, lol.

5708A6D5-5D09-4B74-A353-F2A097A5CBAA.jpeg

• Like 2

i would think some of the spray on water proof stuff for shoes/boots or leather coats would work good, its not a silicone or has any heavy ingredients to change the weight of the woofer etc.  dries fast & doesnt change the color of anything ive used it on for decades... but as with anything like this its a good idea to test on a small area or on a bad woofer before using it on good ones.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

i would think some of the spray on water proof stuff for shoes/boots or leather coats would work good, its not a silicone or has any heavy ingredients to change the weight of the woofer etc.  dries fast & doesnt change the color of anything ive used it on for decades... but as with anything like this its a good idea to test on a small area or on a bad woofer before using it on good ones.    

Think it is scotchgard. Same stuff as for your couch, etc...

42 minutes ago, billybob said:

Think it is scotchgard. Same stuff as for your couch, etc...

im sure scotch guard would work too,  but the stuff i have always used is just shoe/leather/fabric water protector.  i bought a bottle from foot locker that was $5 years ago when i bought a new pair of shoes but i have used other brands like this one as well on a leather coat & suede type hiking boots. 

https://www.target.com/p/kiwi-protect-all-waterproofer-spray-bottle-4-25oz/-/A-13290940 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

im sure scotch guard would work too,  but the stuff i have always used is just shoe/leather/fabric water protector.  i bought a bottle from foot locker that was $5 years ago when i bought a new pair of shoes but i have used other brands like this one as well on a leather coat & suede type hiking boots. 

https://www.target.com/p/kiwi-protect-all-waterproofer-spray-bottle-4-25oz/-/A-13290940 

I think I will trust the company that makes many of the woofers for Klipsch. Other things might work but why risk it?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, 001 said:

Scotchgard ........easy enough

So I see you went back and removed your reference to the Parts Express water proofing compound. Why did you do this? I came here to mention that it looked somewhat interesting and POOF it was gone. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dave A said:

I think I will trust the company that makes many of the woofers for Klipsch. Other things might work but why risk it?

i would trust eminence too.  i posted the other stuff as a suggestion before scotchGARD was mentioned. 

Edited by EpicKlipschFan
edit for randy

5 hours ago, 001 said:

Scotchrite ?   3M Scotch-Brite Scouring Pads #86 - Carton of 12 - S-18434

Scotchrite  ?  LOL.  never heard of that.    "scotchbrite" was a early morning typo/brainfart.   i will go ahead & edit the post for you though, just like you do to so many of yours...  

14 minutes ago, EpicKlipschFan said:

Scotchrite  ?  LOL.  never heard of that.    "scotchbrite" was a early morning typo/brainfart.   i will go ahead & edit the post for you though, just like you do to some many of yours...  

It would be nice if there was a time limit on edits here and people had to live with what they posted. Make a second post perhaps to clarify or correct but the original post would stay after perhaps a 10 minute window of opportunity to correct for bad grammar and spelling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

It would be nice if there was a time limit on edits here and people had to live with what they posted. Make a second post perhaps to clarify or correct but the original post would stay after perhaps a 10 minute window of opportunity to correct for bad grammar and spelling.

completely agree!  i type too fast sometimes & have to edit typos or spelling errors but i usually catch it pretty quick, but most people can read through or past typos.  some go back & change or edit what they post days later or change their user name every 30 days... 

1 hour ago, Dave A said:

It would be nice if there was a time limit on edits here and people had to live with what they posted.

Dave, really?  A limit on the Golden Child?  And live with what they've posted?  Not gonna happen.

• Like 1