RS3 vs In-wall for surrounds

chuckears

I've had Klipsch RS3 for surrounds for years; they have the trapezoid shape, with the tweeter in the middle and the two woofers angled toward the front and the rear of the MLP.  I have them placed as recommended back in the day, above and slighty behind the listening position.

I recently installed CDT-5800 in-ceiling speakers for Atmos - the new standard in this configuration is to have the side/surrounds more at ear level.  This has led me to wonder if the in-wall version of my in-ceiling speakers, placed near ear-level - would be a better choice than the older-style RS3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chuckears said:

Iwith the tweeter in the middle and the two woofers angled toward the front and the rear of the MLP.  

That is not an RS-3.  RS-3's have a single woofer and two tweeters.  Is this what you meant?

The RS-3's will have better sound dispersion than in-ceiling or in-wall speakers.  I would suggest moving the RS-3's to ear level and see if you enjoy the experience before doing anything more with in-wall or in-ceiling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The History Kid said:

That is not an RS-3.  RS-3's have a single woofer and two tweeters.  Is this what you meant?

The RS-3's will have better sound dispersion than in-ceiling or in-wall speakers.  I would suggest moving the RS-3's to ear level and see if you enjoy the experience before doing anything more with in-wall or in-ceiling.

You are correct - I switched the driver configuration in my description

Moving the RS3's down would make for an awkward placement on at least one of the walls, which is part of an opening into another room behind the listening area, and is by an outside door.  The WAF would make it a non-starter, the acceptance factor being part of why I am looking at the in-walls to begin with. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billybob said:

What are your main complaints now if any or, just wanting to add a bit more to HT?

Thanks @chuckears

I'm just wondering if I'm missing out on the more localized content offered up by the Atmos spec, and also impressed by the broader frequency range specs of the in-wall 5800's vs. the RS3.  There is also the matter of WAF - she's is very understanding about most of the setup, but seemed impressed by the unobtrusive aspect of the in-ceilings I just installed.

• Like 1

Well, wife and family, alright.

Had thought of moving the surrounds lower to see what you thought.

Atmos typically from ceiling, either originating from or reflected  from.

So, maybe you want atmos and Inwall to replace surrounds.

Keep the surrounds or remove them?

Nothing sacred here, and your system so, whatever it takes to be happy.

51 minutes ago, chuckears said:

Moving the RS3's down would make for an awkward placement on at least one of the walls, which is part of an opening into another room behind the listening area, and is by an outside door.

I'm not doing Atmos but had a similar situation with their big brother RS7's. This was my solution to mount higher and angle them down.

• Like 1

I second Tas's recommendation above.  I do not have availability to mount low in my space either.  Angling them should work.  Test it out.  If you like what you hear it's a solved problem, even from an Atmos POV. 

• Like 1

Mine are wall-mounted, with no space or opportunity to floor-stand and angle them, particularly on the side that is part of the entryway into a rear dining area.  RS7's would have been my choice back when I added surrounds, but my space limitations did not allow speakers that large in the space I have for them.

IMG_5752 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

Dunno how invested you want to get, but you should be able to use some wood (stained or painted however you want) to angle the surrounds at whatever direction you want.  I recall some here using a few boards and a few planks to accomplish the goal.

I have RS-7's and it wasn't practical for me to mount them at ear level.  My HT is older so no Atmos. 

My solution was to tuck them up toward the ceiling, they are in my basement with just over 7' ceiling.  The sound is also reflected off the ceiling.

I figure that movie theaters don't mount the surronds at ear level why should I?

I am pleased with my setup, especially since I recently upgraded the crossover caps on the RS-7's.

IMG_0630.jpg

• Like 3