Definitive " best 2 Ch " Speaker thread

1 hour ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Well, I have owned most of them.

I miss my LaScalas the most. 

Every time I have sold a pair of LaScalas (three times) the majority of prospective buyers echo this sentiment. I kept a pair of LSI Splits that my kids will inherit, if they don’t ask me for them sooner.

But the the one Klipsch speaker that always impressed me standing in for the LaScalas in the interim was a pair of Tangent 5000s. Two feet out into the room they were tight and full.

If I could only keep one pair as the best example of what Klipsch brings it would have to be the KP-301s. I hope it never comes to that, lol.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Crankysoldermeister said:

Well, I have owned most of them.

I miss my LaScalas the most. 

For some reason the lascala never really impressed me that much. 

It may well be that this was because I had not optimally tuned my audio equipment 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

I confess that I am ignorant of the size of the Forte

The Cornwall 2 is 390 sq in and the Forte 4 is 216 sq in. You are correct and the Forte is 45% smaller (please do not embarrass an old man and check his math). 

I used to own Cornwalls (1 & 2). I liked them quite a bit. I have heard the old Fortes and thought they were good. Are the new Fortes "that much better"?

Note: I asked "better" not "prettier"

The reason I am pushing the older Cornwalls is that they are available and affordable ( I am a cheap SOB and love a bargain). 

The Forte IV are greatly improved and deliver most of what the new Cornwall does. Here is an interesting back to back comparison.  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Cornwall+vs+Forte+IV&t=newext&atb=v247-1&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DXPJevbwL9VU

16 hours ago, Flevoman said:

Agree on that. 

But what would you advise outside of the Heritage 4 line? 

Couldn't really recommend much as I haven't had experience other than older reference.  I've heard that newer RF7s are a huge improvement, so I would look at those if I had to.  I've also read that the KPI-392 or 396 are great, but those seem to be more like a pro version of a mix between the Cornwall and Forte.  Years ago I had some of the larger KGs that sounded pretty good. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, nickyboy6100 said:

Footprint wise, Chorus. Either model. Home Klipsch overall, La Scala’s. Obviously Jubilee, but never heard them. 

MCM 1900 and I owned Jubilees too. Actually owned all the Klipsch heritage

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

MCM 1900 and I owned Jubilees too. Actually owned all the Klipsch heritage

Well, the OP did list footprint and WAF as criteria (albeit lower priority). Given the excessive size of the footprint and the absolute lack of WAF, it is hard to imagine that MCMs should be included in the final list. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never heard the Jubilee , but  the sound of the Khorn and Lascala is tough to beat  . I’m addicted to the forward , crack of the whip dynamics  of these speakers , everything else just sounds small and restrained to my ears 🤓

Out of all the top tier Heritage Klipsch speakers that I have owned... there is only one speaker that I have felt the need to own more than one time:

Despite lacking the lowest portions of the range of reproduction, the La Scala is the most perfect home speaker made.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Well, the OP did list footprint and WAF as criteria (albeit lower priority). Given the excessive size of the footprint and the absolute lack of WAF, it is hard to imagine that MCMs should be included in the final list. 

I went for the Low Priority aspect of it in my choice. Besides if "she" doesn't like it, she can leave and marry a Bose Dude. ROFLMAO.

• Haha 2

Seems a bit  far fetched that a woman would leave a Klipsch fanatic for a Bose dude , but if she did , at least we could be confident that she has reached rock bottom , and that things can only get better from that point on 🤓

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I hear details I have never heard before with any other speaker (76 lascala) air, sound stage width, depth, holey crap! Example, just listening to "Ain't superstitious" by Jeff Beck. Never knew how great that recording was. This with a rather modest Tubelab 6BQ-5 Simple push pull amp in triode mode,and  with an old Polk Audio sub.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2022 at 5:03 PM, Flevoman said:

Agree on that. 

But what would you advise outside of the Heritage 4 line? 

Forte II Have had mine 30 years.  Paid $750.00 for a new set in 1992, worth about $1200-$1500.00 now.  I am speaking for 9/10 + specimens.  Original boxes and inserts to boot.  LOL.  Seriously though when you consider WAF, Footprint, Strong low end and dynamic range, it truly is the best all-around Klipsch, INMHO.  If you go that route, you can change out the phenolic diaphragms for titanium for both the squawker as well as the tweeter.  This will require a bypass midrange roll of that Bob Crites can build for you, around $150.00 for both speakers.  When completed you will essentially have a wildcat Forte III.  I did this mod about 8 years or so ago.  Sound better since that upgrade than they ever did prior.

• Like 2

Of the Klipsch speakers I've owned my Belles are my favorite. But getting them set up to sound good didn't come easy. I tried to be satisfied with the rolled off bass but in the end I had to add a subwoofer to fill in the low bass. I also went through a bunch of different amps before I found the one I could live with. These suckers are really easy to overdrive with too many watts and the midrange horn can shriek at you if overdriven. Settled on a Marantz 2230 with 30 WPC and it's just about as perfect as I think solid state will be with these. My McIntosh MA6100 didn't work at all so it's back to powering my Forte's.

Edited by joeward
  • Like 1

MCM 1900's for me too. Jubes La Scalas Belles K-horns are all anemic sounding compared to those 1900's. You can get deeper bass with other Klipsch but none as profoundly moving as those MWM bins. The 1900's have presence you quite simply can't believe until you hear them and then you can never unhear them. You have been warned.

If space and WAF was the key factor Chorus I's for me.

• Thanks 1

La Scala's are the most honest speaker that I've ever owned. Paired with a reasonably good tube amp, they're magic on pretty much every recording. And I'm talking completely stock, as my '77's are. I have other speakers which are equally enjoyable (AR3's, Bozak 302's, Allison One's) but at this point the LS's would be the keepers of all of them. I can use any amp with them, they're easy to place, and sound great with any music that I've ever played on them.

I own Cornwall's, but they would be the first to go of all the one's I mentioned. To my ears, they're pleasant but very overrated.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 5:46 PM, svberger said:

La Scala's are the most honest speaker that I've ever owned. Paired with a reasonably good tube amp, they're magic on pretty much every recording. And I'm talking completely stock, as my '77's are. I have other speakers which are equally enjoyable (AR3's, Bozak 302's, Allison One's) but at this point the LS's would be the keepers of all of them. I can use any amp with them, they're easy to place, and sound great with any music that I've ever played on them.

I own Cornwall's, but they would be the first to go of all the one's I mentioned. To my ears, they're pleasant but very overrated.

Just curious, What version of Cornwalls do you own?