Purchase decision

So I go back and forth on this as I find it hard to find a reputable tech to service older gear. You strike me as the type that can service his own gear. I'd like to hear a well serviced vintage Marantz, SS or tubes. I really miss my Scott 222c that was restored by Craig. Main problem I had with it was the power/volume pot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a bit of skill
But am no Techi 
I get by on most problems with the bit of knowledge of that I have acquired

I'm the same, however I always seem to have too many coals in the fire to up keep older gear. I look at it this way, one should be able to get several years out of a new quality piece of equipment without the need of tech support. That being said, if I was in the market for an integrated unit, I'd look for something new around the $1k-$1500 mark.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

The new gear sounds better.  The engineers haven’t been sitting on their hands for the last 30 or 40 years.  Anyway, your late-model gear shouldn’t need any maintenance for a really long time, if ever.  More time spent listening is the goal, right?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If the old gear hasn't been serviced, be prepared to spend some money getting it up to snuff, if not right away, then at least eventually. Electrolytics dry up, switches and pots get worn/dirty. I've repaired a few pieces, and while it's rewarding, it's a commitment of time. 100% worth it to get it back to spec, though, if it's something you want to use/keep for the long term.

• Thanks 1

I've got the Kenwood KR-2090 pushing my KG 2.5's, and the KR-3090 pushing Heresy I's.  They both sound fantastic.

I've also got the KA-3500 (and tuner) in my wife's office running a pair of Altec's.

My other systems are all Harman Kardon, which are a little more temperamental so far, but sound great as well.

New gear does NOT sound better!  I’ve put my Scott 299C integrated amp (restored by NOS Valves) and actually put it up against numerous solid state amps in the $4000 to $8000 - and some blindfolded testing to boot!   The Scott, except in one instance always won. (Another 2 tests couldn’t find a difference in sound).  Sure you need to adjust the bias and voltages periodically to keep it at peak performance, but that’s all part of the fun.

• Like 1